87 Hydroboost setup??

suicide six

Anyone step up w/ installed pics of a hydroboost system on a 87 G/N?Whose system did you go with and likes/dislikes of system?Can stock pedal and P/S pump be retained?

hydraboost

I installed a hydraboost unit from hydratech.com and it was an easy straight forward installation. Awesome brakes with at least double the stopping power of the original powermaster or the vacuum brakes I had converted to.
The stock powersteering pump works fine as does the stock brake pedal.

I'd recomend this conversion to anyone. The brakes are completely predictable, strong (you can lock them with toe pressure) and easily modulated for threshold braking. I still have stock disc's and drums and run 245 55 16" tires.

It's not cheap but after scaring myself with the brakes on this car for 19 years it's well worth it.

Attachments

• hydro1 (2).jpg
    hydro1 (2).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 383
  • hydro3 (2).jpg
    hydro3 (2).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 373
  • hydro5 (2).jpg
    hydro5 (2).jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 422
If you are using a stock GM HB than you can reuse the powermaster pedal. You can not use the vacuum booster pedal with either the hydro or PM.
The stock pump and reservior will work. You just have to add a tee into the reservior feed hose.

Please provide a link to where you bought the hydraboost. I tried 'hydratech.com' but it was not brake related. Thanks.

Captndave thanks for pictures.I still have stock pedal setup and you answered my questions on pump side of setup.How old is your system and what kinda boost can it now hold?I will try finding the link of that company.The other man I spoke to said his setups run around 600 bucks for buick site members.The inital cost may be high compared to vac setup.But when compared to PM parts/units its money well spent.Thanks again I may be getting back w/you on this.

Lineset?or no lineset version for 87GN This is for braided lines and other flex tube coorect?Top item P/N is for hydroboost only w/o lines and resevior?

I have the same system on my car. Brakes work great but the unit makes a lot of noise from the power steering pump. Did you have that on your car? Service at Hydratech is awesome! That other hydroboost company sucks big time.

What kinda noise?is it annoying loud?Your right this system seems to be nice.Whens the last time youve heard of hydroboost problems.

hydraboost

suicide six got the website right. I held 10 pounds of boost easily yesterday and i'm sure I could have held more since I only had the brake pedal depressed about half force.

It is a little noisy, a whine that has diminished over time as advertised. I only have about 250 miles on the car since puting it on. I never really braked hard before since it seemed the harder I braked the worse they responded. Now I'm having as much fun stoppin fast as I am blasting at the red lights! :cool:

hydraboost

The unit bolts right up to the firewall. You can get one to use with the stock pedal or a vacuum unit. the difference is the aluminum mounting plate is machined at a different angle on one versus the the other.

I went with the stock pedal since it offers a little more leverage.

hydraboost

I got it with the lineset(braided ss aeroquip hoses and fittings). The trouble of chasing down the correct fittings and hoses wasn't worht the slight difference in the amount I would have saved.

A new master cylinder is also a must. The quick take up MC's won't work or mate up properly. There are several options available and Paul at hydratech can help. I chose one from a C5 corvette because it works with the stockrear brakes and the discs I'll eventually be converting to.

The entire installation including bleeding the brakes and hydraboost unit took under 3 hrs. of dilly dallying.

Capt thanks again for info,So the HB is noisey due to air being worked out of system?I agree w/getting all lines too.Is there enough line to route away from header,etc.Looking for a clean looking setup.Holding that amount of boost sounds great.

I also notice the 1990-1996 K-5 blazer (3500 series most desiel) comes with a complete bolt-in hyroboost brake. Part store selling for $350.00. i can buy some fitting and Pro Flex (3500 psi) with fitting from jegs and piece this thing together....don`t hold me to this. i have to see of the firewall flange is the same or if inter-changeable.... :confused:

Noise

There's a moderately high pitched sound that follows engine rpm that is irritating sometimes and sometimes not. I might be ingesting air into the system at times or perhaps heat related. Not sure yet. There is also a loud groan when cornering or pressing hard on the brakes. I'm going to try some other power steering fluids to see if that helps. On the plus side, I didn't push through the lights until I hit about 20 lbs of boost! ;)

Is this system supposed to be better as far as leaks are concerned than the stock systems our 84 /85 gns came with?

Ive been reading up on this unit from above site tech boards and noise seems to be related to air or foam in sysytem that takes miles to aerate.They also reccommend an additive to be used in system to aid on noise.Capt thanks so much for your input and pics.

hydraboost

From what I've been told it's a vastly improved system and comparable to those that come on new hummers and other high end suv's, Time will tell.