87 GN weight....

thessman

I'm excited... Weighed my 87 street GN today. I'm always weight conscience and all my buddys kinda make fun of me. Using my friends digital car scales
it weighed in at 3077 no driver. DSF 864 PSF863 DSR 678 PSR 675
Still have a few tricks to get another 30-40 lbs out. Has power windows,power steering, A/C ,full interior,power seat ,tilt wheel and still looks stock. ;) Half tank of gas. I want to run in the 10's and i think the 300-400 lbs will help me get there alot easier. It will 60' better and run 3-4 mph faster. Whats the average hardtop GN weigh? Steve

Attachments

• P1010302.jpg
    P1010302.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 590
Full everything, HT, stage 2, T-400, stock rear, 6 point,[moly], lite wheels, spare, jack, stock tank, and my fata$$ = 3710 on the Reynolds, NHRA scales.

I weighed ours on the Reynolds scale back a few years ago without the driver or passenger, but the trunk full of 'stuff' - 3750. And that's before I put the speaker box in the back.

I'll be at 3250 or so with driver. I want the car to 60' and run in the 10's so bad ! I figure I'm about 400 lbs lighter than the avg. GN. Basic mods to the motor. I will be going to the track real soon. If I can hook and the motor runs in tune I think it will. I want my first pass in the GN to be a happy one.
I have the best helping me... JD ,Don Cruz , Cal and julio. How can I go wrong ? :cool:

Are you sure the weight is right Steve? 3077lbs seems awfully light especially considering you mention the car is decently optioned with a complete interior. You have a fiberglass hood and trunk lid? I thought my GN was light at 3400lbs!

I also would have never thought these cars would be that well balanced left to right. Figured with the battery and turbo and associated exhaust plumbing (et al) on the passenger side would bias it more than you've recorded. Maybe the steering and rotating accessories and brake crap on the driver's side is giving it the counterbalance.

That's seems awfully light. Are you sure all 4 tires were on the scale?:confused:

There's a certain Atomic Orange GN on this board that is lite like that, but it has glass doors, hood, and bumpers! It only has one seat with a sparse interior. I sure would like to know how you got it so lite, please share with the class! :D

I think you should weigh it again...no way the car is 3077 with AC-box & PS.

Are you running any glass parts?

Bill

I weighed the car on Tony Christians compuscales. I'm sure that they are on the money as far as being correct. No reason for me to lie. It is what it is.
Yes I did all the tricks to get it there but it is still a street car.
Full interior ect. As far as the weights being close corner to corner I'll tell you its just luck. The battery ( 17 lb braille) is in the trunk and maybe the hydroboost with the cast iron master cylinder (need an aluminum master)
makes up for the battery in the rear???? aluminum rad support,Fbody radiator,
glass hood and front bumper, aluminum rear bumper support cut down, aluminum heads, wheels,aluminum drums ect.... I can tell you it weighs 4500 if that makes you happy...:)

I'll be at 3250 or so with driver. I want the car to 60' and run in the 10's so bad ! I figure I'm about 400 lbs lighter than the avg. GN. Basic mods to the motor. I will be going to the track real soon. If I can hook and the motor runs in tune I think it will. I want my first pass in the GN to be a happy one.
I have the best helping me... JD ,Don Cruz , Cal and julio. How can I go wrong ? :cool:

GUYS!!!! have helped work with Steve on his car and helped scale it!!!!!!!

I'm telling all disbelieves!!!!!

the car weighs 3250 with Steve in it!!!!

he has been working on his car for 6 months and he always does every step of his work with ONE THING IN MIND!!! WEIGH!!!!!!

he has built some CRAZY CARS!!!!

check out his shop at www.carsbyss.com

thanks JD

lightweight gn

+1 on being on the light side i weighed mine at the city dumps were you juss drive onto there digital scale 87 gn fully loaded of course with no spare tire or jack 1/4 tank of gas at 3380 with out me in the car but funny thing was as i was still looking at the monitor then all of a sudden the numbers jump up to 3528:eek: i was like what the hell i looked over and my wife was already sitting down in the passenger seat she never wanted to tell me her weight before but too late i juss did the math lmao:D:D

my 86 hardtop tipped the scales at just over 3210 (weighed weekly when at track and 1/2 tank) 3405 with driver laptop,safety jacket ,helmet

items that were in place or done to make it lighter

2004r 9" nl converter deep pts trans pan
hr rear swaybar (heavier than stock rear bar but lost the front bar)
glass bumper front and rear
alum bumper stands on rear
cf hood
ac box deleted with aluminum block off plate
champ ac delete bracket (still have ps)
fbody radiator (about 4lbs lighter than stock brass 3row)
stock boxed lower rr ctr arms, stock uppers,stock springs
fmic ( not a mammoth unit but a cas v2)
lt1 mini starter
took out the cruise control stuff , no spare tire or jack equipment
sound deadener removed from under carpet,and 1/4s

ive since done some things that added a few pounds .. some small some not so light but they add up
swapped the 200-4r for a th400 w/ larger vigilante converter ,
replaced the stock shifter with a b+M quicksilver
trans blanket , bhj sfi balancer,
razor dual alky kit , adds weight not just the system but also the gallon of meth, could remove it and run race gas (nah :biggrin:)
put back the power seat track on the driver seat
went to FAST B2b (its a little heavier than the stock setup)
replaced the missing hvac with a factory g-body heater only box and controls
electronic boost controller
hot wired the headlamps (hella h4)
hotwired the secondary dual intank pump
went to an aluminum maf pipe no cold air kit, also lost the maf with the fast
added solid rocker shafts

now she's at 3295 (3480 race weight)

there are areas that could be trimmed back to reduce it further --
it has vacuum brakes (manual brakes are considerably lighter and work just fine)
front suspension stock ( could go tubulars uppers loose 5lbs just on uppers)
has eibach front springs but going to coil overs withs 2" coils would loose weight
full interior all power options even a radio with concert sound speakers and power antenna
dont need a radio or speakers or power antenna
dont need lighted visors or any visors for that matter
has a console (none is lighter)
iron heads ( aluminums are lighter)
full 2 3/4 dual stainless exhaust w 3" magna flows (single shots are lighter)
was on 16x8 gtas245/50-16 fronts (welds and skinny's are definitely lighter)
dual fans hotwired (single is plenty for racing since it off at wot anyway)
stock 75 series battery (the oddysey looses 24lbs from stock)
still has the door impact bars and stock front bumper absorbers
4" steel mafless with cold air kit and 4" kn filter pipe (heavy could run nothing)
has razor alky kit that adds weight but could remove it and run race gas (nah :biggrin:)
still running stock tank which is heavier than a cell and add to that you need to carry more fuel with stock to run safely than you would with a cell
there is some equipment needed for the hp and safety items for the speeds but there is more room to trim in those areas if you arent concerned about running at the track and having to comply with nhra rules or overbuilding to avoid broken parts and a tow home
heavy duty 3" driveshaft 150 joints (stock was atleast 1/3 lighter )
33spline axles with a spool and clip elims (stock is about half the weight)
6 point mild roll bar (approx 85lbs) cm bars would loose about 30lbs
5point 3'' harness (7lbs) took out rears but still have stock front seatbelts for street
ds loop( 6lbs)

Here's my weight loss recipe. I have not weighed my car yet but its a T-top car that is heavily optioned. I'm assuming it weighed in close to 3600lbs from the factory without driver. Planning on hitting the scales when its all back together.

Weight Savings / Amount
Aluminum Drums 10
Spare / Jack 50
Front Swaybar 25
Sound Deadening behind seat and under carpet 20
Wilwood F Body Brakes, Spindles, Calipers, TRZ Tubular Controll Arms 70
Front and Door Speakers 2
Windshield Wipers 2
Ground Effects - Removal 7
Alum Rear Bumper Absorbers & Glass Bumper 55
Hartline Glass Hood 25
Radio 5
Lightweight Mufflers - Dynatech Split Flow 5
Roll BAR - Chrome Moly (HR Frame Braces) (55)
Flaming River Manual Box - 1404 (Pitman Arm, U Joints) 20
Remove A/C Compressor / Lines / Condensor / Heater Box 50
Wipers & Motor 3
Aluminum Radiator with Coolers 8
Aluminum Core Support 13
Alum Front Bumper Absorbers & Glass Bumper 55
Lighweight Battery - Braille 3121 13
Weld Wheels - Magnum IIIs 35
MT Street Radials S/R & Drag Radials 0
Champion Aluminum Heads 30
RJC Billet Pullies 8
Dynatech - Aluminum Driveshaft 5
TNT Driveshaft Loop 3
Antennae Motor 3
9.5 PTC Converter 3
Cruise Control 3
LT1 Mini Starter 3
RJC Front Mount (20)
Razors Alky (15)
Other (BHJ, J&W, Gauges…) (15)

Total lost assuming my bathroom scale is correct = 426Lbs. That would put me at 3174 assuming 3600 to start with.

Still left to do on my list are the door bars (24-30lbs) and glass/CF trunk lid (50lbs).

Steve - Pls share your weight loss list with us.

Bill