87 Buick Grand National vs 1998 Corvette Z06

colourfuze

Good Morning Fellas,

I have a 87 Grand National that is pretty stock right now

*Turbo Tweaks entry level chip
*K & N Filter
*Red Armstrong Fuel Pump

I want to upgrade my car to out run a stock challenger (hemi), 2011 grand sport corvette, and 1998 Z06. I have money waiting to be made on these races. I have a buddy that has 3 grand nationals and he told me to turn to the forums for the perfect combo.

You will need a few bolt ons...

You came to the right place for help...

Good luck and welcome!

What's your budget and how do you want to achieve your goals? Do you want to be able to do it on pump gas, race gas, etc? Also, when you say outrun, are you talking about a 1/4 drag race, street light to street light stuff, freeway?

Peter

FYI - the Z06 didn't start until 2001. I bought one when they came out when I was 24...good times, good times...;)

The 97-2004 C5, they really run low to mid 13's maybe high 12 if the driver is any good. They will trap 107-110 mph in good air. The 01-04 Z06 is capable by a couple guys to run 11's on tires with -2000ft DA, and trap 113-117 depending on the air and mods. Most are not stock by now, easy high 12 sec car, mine runs mid 12's all day long.

The 2011 Grand Sport, probably same performance as the C5 Z05, mid 12's at 115+
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2010-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-vs.-2011-ford-shelby-gt500

S
o, to run bottom 12's at 110-114 mph to cover these cars from a dig, you need more boost. I suggest Powerlogger, Alkycontrol, TT alky chip, RJC boost controller, and drag radials.

Quarter on one race.. More than likely street racing on the others. We have race gas available here 110 octane for $10 bucks / gal

FYI - the Z06 didn't start until 2001. I bought one when they came out when I was 24...good times, good times...;)

The 97-2004 C5, they really run low to mid 13's maybe high 12 if the driver is any good. They will trap 107-110 mph in good air. The 01-04 Z06 is capable by a couple guys to run 11's on tires with -2000ft DA, and trap 113-117 depending on the air and mods. Most are not stock by now, easy high 12 sec car, mine runs mid 12's all day long.

The 2011 Grand Sport, probably same performance as the C5 Z05, mid 12's at 115+
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/2010-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport-vs.-2011-ford-shelby-gt500

S
o, to run bottom 12's at 110-114 mph to cover these cars from a dig, you need more boost. I suggest Powerlogger, Alkycontrol, TT alky chip, RJC boost controller, and drag radials.

Stock injectors ok with this setup?

If they are good, sure, the alky injection is the second fuel source to maximize the setup on the cheap.

Also keep in mind the C5 Z06 has better gearing than a regular Corvette except for 4th gear which is the same 1:1 if you think a stockish 80's Buick will be stable at 170 mph...

Also keep in mind the C5 Z06 has better gearing than a regular Corvette except for 4th gear which is the same 1:1 if you think a stockish 80's Buick will be stable at 170 mph...

I don't think these races will reach those speeds.. Not even close.. Just betting some of my friends and racing on some of the empty strips around town maybe highway runs at night.

Depends on the driver as well. I recently beat a Z06 Vette in the quarter with the Mods listed in my Sig. Granted it was my best run and his worst, and I only got him by .05 seconds. We were door to door most of the way, but he was starting to pull away until he blew his 3-4 shift (I think) . I did a 12.6 @ 107... he did a 12.65 at 109. I think his best run was 12.20 @ 115MPH.

As far as the Hemi Challenger... the New 392's are doing 12.8's stock (Automatics) and the 6.1's are doing 13.2's all day long, lightly modded. My wife has an '08 SRT 8 challenger with minor bolt on's...(CAI, Predator tuner, 80MM TB, cat back with flowmasters) she did a best of 13.10 @ 109MPH. Thank GOD I beat her in the quarter... I'd NEVER hear the end of it! :biggrin: You should not have a problem with the Challengers !

Does your buddy with the GN's race them? Can he help you tune it? Do you have a scan tool... i.e. scanmaster or powerlogger?

IMHO you setup to run bottom 12's minimum..... which can be done without removing the heads or intake....and for under $1500.

You can go bottom 12's with the stock turbo and converter with a good tuneup on about 23 - 24 psi boost.

Id say:

1.) Scanmaster - approx $250
2.) used 3" DP - approx $300
3.) AlkyControl Alky kit - approx $500
4.) sticky tires - approx $350
5.) New TT chip for alky - $90

If you race that Z06 from anywhere but a standing start..... he is going to be super strong. The faster the roll... the less likely you are to win.

The Turbo Buicks best advantage is to race from a standing start. These cars hook reasonably well on the street compared to most fast street cars.

IMHO.... I'd rather see you build up a low 11 sec combo and have the covered up like watergate..... but that would take more $$ and more time.

Does your buddy with the GN's race them? Can he help you tune it? Do you have a scan tool... i.e. scanmaster or powerlogger?

IMHO you setup to run bottom 12's minimum..... which can be done without removing the heads or intake....and for under $1500.

You can go bottom 12's with the stock turbo and converter with a good tuneup on about 23 - 24 psi boost.

Id say:

1.) Scanmaster - approx $250
2.) used 3" DP - approx $300
3.) AlkyControl Alky kit - approx $500
4.) sticky tires - approx $350
5.) New TT chip for alky - $90

If you race that Z06 from anywhere but a standing start..... he is going to be super strong. The faster the roll... the less likely you are to win.

The Turbo Buicks best advantage is to race from a standing start. These cars hook reasonably well on the street compared to most fast street cars.

IMHO.... I'd rather see you build up a low 11 sec combo and have the covered up like watergate..... but that would take more $$ and more time.

Save the $500 on the alky kit, you don't need that to run low 12's just put in some 116 and you'll be fine. A TT race chip with more timing will help. A lot less tuning involved than with alky. just my .02 :)

After all that make sure you have a boost gauge.

Save the $500 on the alky kit, you don't need that to run low 12's just put in some 116 and you'll be fine. A TT race chip with more timing will help. A lot less tuning involved than with alky. just my .02 :)

After all that make sure you have a boost gauge.

Maybe not required.... but still falls in budget.....and will help cover up the inefficiencies of the stock intercooler and allow you to run pump gas all the time...... and leave it set on kill.... The extra fueling will also take a little load off the stock injectors so you don't need to replace them with larger ones as quickly.

Maybe not required.... but still falls in budget.....and will help cover up the inefficiencies of the stock intercooler and allow you to run pump gas all the time...... and leave it set on kill.... The extra fueling will also take a little load off the stock injectors so you don't need to replace them with larger ones as quickly.

You can do that (I know some that do) but I would be afraid that I would run out of alky or it would not spray for some reason. The 116 is good insurance but expensive for all of the time. If it is for street use all of the time alky is good (but be carefull) if it is for track use sometime use the 116.

Several years ago I took my GN to a 12.02 @ 113 on a stock turbo on 23lbs of boost, stock IC with a big neck, stock Inj, stock DP with a dump, good gas on a race chip and good tuning. It can be done. :)

the most important mod will be a scan tool! learn how to tune and add some boost and fuel and that stocker will come alive!

The best way to get the most power with your current combo is to switch to E85. Bigger injectors,hot wire kit (if not already installed),volt booster to speed up your pump,AC/Delco fuel filter,new program for your computer,Scan Master,Powerlogger,hood mounted fuel pressure gauge,wide band,turbo bell,ported elbow,downpipe,2" crossover,test pipe with dump and you're there.

Te-44 or whatever it is now :D
Scanmaster
50#s
Hotwired walbro
TT chip
3" Dp

EDIT- TIRES!!!! Seriously some MT et streets will be the best $300 you have ever spent

KABOOM! Browse the Classifieds on here daily....gotta be fast on this board or stuff sells in 2 minutes :D