86 regal limited v8 swap to a 3.8turbo

GbodyDaddy

hey guy im new the boards i got a 86 regal limited 307 olds motor and i stumbled across a 87 3.8 turbo (the ecm and harness included) the 2004r and the 8.5 rear fairly cheap i was wondering how hard the swap would be..i did some searching on here and couldnt really find anybody that did the same thing..anyone have any info for me thanks

Welcome Pilgrim!

There should be plenty of guys that have done the swap, including impalas and olds g-bodies. It's pretty much straight forward especially if you have a little help. The guys wilol probably chime in later in the day. New motor mounts and a lot of reading to extend the life of the engine and fun of course.

Again a big welcome!

You might need to run a fuel return line and will need a SFI fuel hanger, maybe best to change out the gas tank to the baffled kind too; and you need to run the wires back to the fuel pump. They are located in the trunk for the SFI. It helps to have a GN/T type to do a side by side on.

You will need the motor mount perches for the frame side of the motor mounts, a fuel return line (at a minimum), the fuel sender for the in tank pump, a 30 amp circuit to feed the pump, and the driveshaft will need to be shortened. There's a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) that is used to control certain functions located in the GN speedo head, but alternatives are available. Physically it's not all that hard. I had trouble trying to install the perches. They bolt in through the engine crossmember and the only way I found to do that was to remove the front springs. When they are out you can fit your hand up there to install/tighten the bolts. You should check the hybrids forum. Do you know for sure what kind of shape the engine/trans/rear is in? It would be a bitch to go through all that only to find out the engine is dead.

Oh yeah, the GN has built in coolers for the oil and trans fluids, so if you dont have the stock radiator you'll need aftermarket coolers.

I'm not getting the dash so the do I still need the speed sensors? So just basically the fuel pump and motor mount perches..

The stock non-turbo dash will have the VSS buffer. Lime green box to the right of the cluster (under the dash). Has a wire to the CC along with the ECM that runs the CCC set up.

The GN ECM uses the same signal so it is plug & play with the buffer.

RemoveBeforeFlight

i have engine mounts,turbo gas tank.turbo sending unit,correct 8.5 driveshaft and about anything you might need. i'm probably only a couple hours away from you up here in connecticut

It's a pretty straight forward swap. I did one in my 84' Hurst Olds. Your car should already have a fuel return line...mine did. You just have to extend the lines over to the drivers side since they are on the passenger side on an Olds V8. You need to add a few wires/fuse to the fuse box for the injectors and fuel pump. As mentioned above you need the frame mounts for the 3.8 motor, baffled turbo gas tank with pump hanger, driveshaft, power steering reservoir, radiator with engine oil cooler but not really necessary...I haven't run an engine oil cooler in 10 years on this car and have had no issues...I'm running an "F" body radiator. Depending on what trans your Limited has in it you may need the trans cross member. I'm sure I have missed some incidentals but that's pretty much it.

you could just yank out two pistons and youll have a 3.8 231cu 6 cyl

the prices cars are selling these days i cant see how its cheaper to do a conversion than to just buy one that was built that way from the factory,

cant see me spending 8 to grand for something already done...dont have that kinda loot ..im getting the motor tranny and rear for less than 2gs

cant see me spending 8 to grand for something already done...dont have that kinda loot ..im getting the motor tranny and rear for less than 2gs

Plus when its all done,you did it yourself,and you know what you have,I am doing one now myself,and will be able to inspect every 25 year old part in the process.

I did a conversion on a Really nice 86 Limited a few years back. If you have a donor car, the process becomes much easier. When I was done, the only way you could tell that it was not a factory build was by the VIN tag!!

There are many turbo specific items that need to get changed or you will struggle. Here are a few that I suggest you change:

1. HVAC case- The case shape is different between turbo and all others

2. Harnesses (Dash, intermediate and rear)- Replace them all with Turbo versions if you want everything to plug and play and work 100%. This is the time to run a 10-12 gage "Stealth" hot wire to the fuel pump......factory looks, but works much better

3. Fuel and return lines. Inline Tube sells decent reproductions. The hardest part is lifting the body off the frame to run them!!!

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 224
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 227
I started the same kind of project w/ my 86 regal. I found it much easier to drop a chevy 350 and go!! believe it or not there a lot of steals out there on G.N these days. I was lucky enough to find an 86 that needed minor work rlly cheap!! In the end, I have an extra 3.8 turbo motor and trans!! and one fun regal to drive!! Find a G.N that needs work so you can always get your $$ back out of your projects..

I started the same kind of project w/ my 86 regal. I found it much easier to drop a chevy 350 and go!! believe it or not there a lot of steals out there on G.N these days. I was lucky enough to find an 86 that needed minor work rlly cheap!! In the end, I have an extra 3.8 turbo motor and trans!! and one fun regal to drive!! Find a G.N that needs work so you can always get your $$ back out of your projects..

Yea,plus with a 350 it will be wicked fast.

Anybody can drop a 350 SBC in one of these cars. Many people do just that.

Will it be fast? Maybe.

As the GSCA motto says "Fast with Class"? Never!

Im in the same boat picked up a completly rebuilt motor, wiring...well pretty much a GN minus the body and bolts :D Im putting it in my olds cutlass and actually thinking of swapping a GN front end on to it so when I get a front mount it gets good air flow in stead of the oldsmobile split grills. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know I live right outside of Philly so if you needed help one weekend I could probably ride over.