85 GN trans "jumping" out of gear...HELP!

Wasted Income

Mmmm, black smoke....
Hey all,
My brother and I are new to the turbo Regal game, but we're learning more and more every day.

My youngest brother has recently purchased a MINT '85 Grand National as his first car (he's only 15, so when we go out street racing, I get to drive, haha;) )

ANYWAY, we've been experiencing a problem that has happened for the 3rd time in the 2-3 months he's owned the car.
The transmission seems to "jump" out of second gear when you stand on it while racing someone. Last night we were running along in second, preparing to run a 70 GTO and when I matted the gas, the car seemed to almost hit neutral and the tach was pegged, but it wasn't bouncing off the rev limiter like it does when I stay on it too long in first gear. Very weird, unnerving and embarassing.

What could be causing this? It's got a pretty high stall converter in it (not sure exactly since he bought it with it in it). It also normally shifts hard between gears, since it will bark 'em hard into second normally. WTF is causing this, and what can we do to fix it??

Also, the TCC will not engage when grounding the "F" terminal on the ALDL. There is power to the terminal, so I don't know what to think.

Any help on either of these subjects is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!:)

My tranny knowledge is limited but it sounds like your trans is "flaring"between shifts and it is also possible you TC is non lockup OR the wiring is not right.You can test for power on the plug going to the DS of the trans.Look in the shop manual for pinout.

Sorry for not specifying. It's a lockup converter. I can feel it lock up on the highway, and we verified it on the AutoXRay. It does lock and unlock at goofy times though...Perhaps it's a TCC solenoid issue?