84 highly modified, stalls, low boost

nickd2689

My 84 T-type stalls if i give it too much gas from a dead stop, by too much gas i mean i have to press the accelerator as light as possible until i get to about 10-15 mph. it idles at about 2000, i checked all vacuum lines, and theyre good, the previous owner changed the intake manifold, but didnt use sealant, so I redid that, but havent gotten it started yet, it also only runs about 5-6 lbs boost. could this be my converter? it only stalls in drive or reverse. 42.5 PPH injectors, adjustable pressure regulator, T33C turbo, warlboro fuel pump, hotwired, with 94 octane PROM chip, and 160 degree thermostat. ok, not that highly modified. sorry this was so long lol. any help is appreciated.

Okay, first check the TPS, make sure it is .42 or so at idle and 4.2-4.6 at WOT, and that it increases slowly as the throttle opens...I had a bad TPS on my car and it ran at 2000 rpm at idle, replacing the TPS dropped the idle to 1000-1100 (picked mine up from Poston's for a lot cheaper than local places)...that may fix your stalling issue as well...as for the low boost, make sure your your header gaskets are in good shape, and that there are no major leaks in the crossover, if you are sure those things are good, post back and I will give you some other things to look for...I don't think the converter has much to do with your problems at this point.

I know my TPS is bad, it reads about 5 Volts at idle, and about .5 V at WOT (never seen this before) anyway i ordered a new one that should be here today, then i just have to get oil flowing again and it will run. ill post later and let you know
thank you

I know my TPS is bad, it reads about 5 Volts at idle, and about .5 V at WOT (never seen this before) anyway i ordered a new one that should be here today, then i just have to get oil flowing again and it will run. ill post later and let you know
thank you

Sounds like you have a "good" 86-87 TPS on the car. :eek:
The correct TPS is always preferred, but, you can make the 86-87 work. :D
Do a search on that.

Edit clarification;
Since the tilte stated "highly modified" I had to go back and look at your post and signature.
Not sure what "highly modified" is since my car is basically a stock set-up . . . . :cool: . . . but here it how it goes;

"If" you have a;
HA set-up - IC TPS will not work as OEM.
IC'd set-up - HA TPS will not work as OEM

I actually just got my new TPS delivered today, now i cant see if the car will run right though because theres no oil going to the turbo. anyway, so youre telling me that my TPS would work fine on an 86/87?

I actually just got my new TPS delivered today, now i cant see if the car will run right though because theres no oil going to the turbo. anyway, so youre telling me that my TPS would work fine on an 86/87?

More than likely as the voltages appear to be backwards from the HA.
I would worry about the oil to the turbo first, but that's just me. :eek:

i just dont want to blow my turbo and about 1000 bucks, is there any easier way to prime the oil pump? cause taking it apart sucks ive already done it 3 times and no oil is flowing. I cant imagine having to do this after every oil change.