84 GN Repair

ZNix

Young-Gun
Hey everyone! Im kinda new here, just purchased my first hot air sometime in July. It is an 84 GN. It has a lot of good, but also bad. Well, the only good I can think of is the drive-train. The interior is pretty bad, and it has some rust. Not a lot, but the floors are pretty much gone, trunk has two small holes, and some rust above the rear quarter glass. Does anyone know where I should start? What I should do first, or last etc.

List of current problems:
-Trouble Code 31
-Flinstone Floors
-Rusty trunk
-Bad compression in 2 Cylinders (75 and 105)
-Interior- Pretty bad, except for seats, dash, and seatbelts.
-Wheels need to be refinished, and caps found
-Inner Fenders beat up to change spark plugs by previous owner
-Leaking Transmission dipstick

What I plan to do for upgrades:
-60lb Injectors
-TT Chip to match
-100lb Valve Springs
-Fuel Pump hot wire, and upgrade to 340 Walbrum (I think)
-Maybe exhaust upgrade if I can find the money
-Large mouth air intake
-Engine dress up pieces
-I was considering 4 Wheel discs, and vacuum conversion but I hear its exspepnsive...

I want to use this thread to ask as many questions I can, and hopefully I get some good answers. But my first question is:

Where do I start from here?

<Edit> P.S. I am 15, so be patient please!

No need to do vacuum brakes. Your car should have the Hydroboost braking systems which is one of the best that is out there.

fix the floors first or post up a picture so we can see how bad they are.

My vote is to fix the floors as well...can't be hanging out with Fred Flinstone. After that,get it running correctly and pick away at it. Change the fuel filter while you are at it too.

like all beginners on this site, I have to recommend the spring cleaning that was recommended to me. Change out all your vac lines, do you OWN tune up woth proper plugs, wires and filters, put good oil in it, run an injector cleaner in it, and get that motor up to snuff before you modify anything!!! As far as first things first go... make it safe!!!! FLOORS are primary concern, then do the spring cleaning...

With low comp on two cylinders, youcould have a couple issues... A bad wastegate could have cause some knock and damaged a piston or two... another option could be a bad head gasket... drain the oil and chack for antifreeze in it, or a loss of antifreeze when driving, check the level frequently... also check the outside of the motor for anything obvious...

You do have a basket there, but they are a great basket to play with!!! mine has NO motor in it yet, no complete electronics yet, and best of all, it has surface rust straight across the factory moon roof hard top!!! Good thing it is only surface rust... The bdy is straight, but that's about it for me so far...lotsa work to do here!!!!

Good luck, get it safe,a nd running NORMAL before you do anything else... Someone else can chime in with the spring cleaning link please, that would be great!!! I cant find mine!!! lol

John:D

my .02- fix the floor and get a good solid running car to start with and then you can start the mods, doesn't pay off to modify a car if it isn't running good. and enjoy it along the way ;) your young- got a whole lifetime to add to it :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Guess by popular demand its floors first! Ill have to plan my attack very carefully. Hopefully only a days work!

Just make it safe to drive then you can tweak out the rest of the stuff.