.82 AR to .63?

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
As I was sitting here, thinking about my car (what else do I ever think about?), the thought to the turbo came to mind.

Since the T3 turbocharger shares the same center section, regardless of turbine housing sizes, couldn't someone (me) simply swap the turbine housing from the .82 housing to a .63?

Would this modification be more hassle than it's worth?

Thanks guy,

Ben

PS. I found a flywheel!!

Check out the post titled "Turbine size and trim". In reading this, I get the impression that it would work. I would also like to know the answer to this. Especially from someone who has (successfully) done it.

Also read the "New Member" thread. Scott's basically asking the same question, but his situation is complicated by the '78 low ports.

I haven't tried the swap myslef, since my cars already have the 0.63 housing, but it should work without problems.

All '79/83 turbos use the same center sections
All '79/83 turbos use the same elbow ('81 has a reverse WG)
A '79 up-pipe fits on my '83 Turbo V6
The intake mountings look identical on a '79 and '83 manifold. (see this page Turbo V6 intakes )

Ben,

I have been considering the same thing on my car ('78 Turbo Regal Sport Coupe) because the .82 housing is really to large for these cars, lots of turbo lag. My understanding is that the smaller housing .63 will allow the turbo to spool up quicker. I have been playing around with a junked turbo, and it dosn't appear to be that difficult a job to switch the center section and housings.