'79-80 Century Turbo Coupe sought

see2xu

Anyone know where there might be one for sale? A roller or an intact parts car is fine. Thanks!

I have only seen one. It's sitting in my garage !!!! I bought it from the original owner in July. It has 11,000 miles on it. They will be very hard to find. I haven't been able to find any production numbers but I was given a letter by the original owner that he got from Buick stating that there were 61 Buick Century Turbo Coupes built in 1979. I figure that there were even fewer built in 1980. If you find one, make sure it's in pretty good shape. All the exterior sheetmetal & the rear interior panels are special to the Century. If I come across another one, I'll let you know.

Good Luck !!

He called me back today, yes he still has the car. It is in pretty good shape, but I do know it'll need a rear bumper. It's got a little kink in the middle of it. Also he said the turbo motor died a few years ago so it currently has a 455 Buick in it. He's asking 3,000 for it

I have only seen one. It's sitting in my garage !!!! I bought it from the original owner in July. It has 11,000 miles on it. They will be very hard to find. I haven't been able to find any production numbers but I was given a letter by the original owner that he got from Buick stating that there were 61 Buick Century Turbo Coupes built in 1979. I figure that there were even fewer built in 1980. If you find one, make sure it's in pretty good shape. All the exterior sheetmetal & the rear interior panels are special to the Century. If I come across another one, I'll let you know.

Good Luck !!

Ive seen one in my life. It was on rt. 7 in the Norwalk CT area about 10 years ago. It was not an 80. I think it had a 79 grille in it. 61 seems like a really low estimate to me.

There used to be a butt cookie brown 79 CTC in the Orlando/Central FL area. The last time I saw it was last year sitting on a used car lot in Maitland FL. A couple of months before that it was in the car corral at the Daytona Turkey Run. The guy was asking $7,000! Crank windows and no AC. Pretty much a lightweight. If it wasn't for the color and price I'd be tooling around with it. BTW I think there are more CTCs out there than we think.

This ones white with red vinyl bucket seat interior. It is quite presentable. You'll have to let me know if you buy it. Or could I interest you in a 79 Lesabre turbo coupe? Same as the Century white/red int, 95k, loaded. Nice project that comes with many extra parts, has new turbo, timing set, gaskets,. I'm asking 1800 for the Lesabre. Feel free to call me anytime 612-708-8015

There used to be a butt cookie brown 79 CTC in the Orlando/Central FL area. The last time I saw it was last year sitting on a used car lot in Maitland FL. A couple of months before that it was in the car corral at the Daytona Turkey Run. The guy was asking $7,000! Crank windows and no AC. Pretty much a lightweight. If it wasn't for the color and price I'd be tooling around with it. BTW I think there are more CTCs out there than we think.

My neighbor bought that same color brand new in '80. It had the one-piece tan bucket seats (built-in headrests), and gold turbines. I remember hearing a nice little exhaust rumble when he was just tooling around. I haven't seem many of those around even when they were new.

I do recall seeing plenty of the "Sport" Centurys in coupe and wagon body style. They had the large hawk image on the front fender and came with the argent steel wheels w/ trim rings. One particular Sport that stood out was a V8 4 speed car that was rusted beyond repair in upstate NY a fews years back.

If you're still looking there was one at Jones Chevrolet in Richland Center, WI a couple years ago. I think it was/is owned by one of the owners.
Might give them a call: 800-755-9413

I Love Those Cars :cool:
I have a '78 coupe that will be used for the GNX Drivetrain Project :eek: I have a lot of NOS parts for it, to make it into a Turbo Coupe - Rear Spoilers, Aluminum (Yes Aluminum) Bumpers, Reinforcements and Rub Strips, Door Skins, Taillights, and more. I have been collecting the parts for years.
I also have a '79 Turbo Coupe with original motor and window sticker :eek: but needing Lots of work, and I have another '79 with a 350 Buick that needs even more work :eek: So I have Lots of work ahead of me, but for me it's something to look forward to.
Like I said, I Love those cars :cool:
It took me years to find this stuff, but the cars are out there. You have to keep looking Regularly !! Stuff pops up for sale, and if you don't see it right away it will be Gone and you will not even know. Be Persistent in your search and it will pay off !! Good Luck !!

I also love those models. My project is to transform my 50 600km '78 Century 2dr Special into a more or less looking '79 Turbo Coupe, (with the hood and spoiler)with GsX theme paint, rallye wheel 14s & 15s back. I also collected parts for years (and still do). Look closely. Century are not that rare... they just have been crushed. (oups) But I found 2 of them in a junkyard full of olds cars. Guess who have the parts? lol For the '79 CTC parts, its more tricky, but not impossible. Good luck !!

they are out there but getting harder to find I sold the 2 I had to TCHRGD a few years ago(by the way how they coming along)

Sorry, I've been travelling out of the country and haven't had time to check out the board. No, the big LeSabre won't do it for me. I check out the one on the used car lot. But thanks for the lead!

No I don't have any spoiler as spare. (just one to put on my car) But keep my name and ask me in a couple months. I'm working on buying from a guy a lots of parts from a junk 79 Turbo coupe... and of course I don't need 2 spoilers. lol:wink:

Yeah you're right. It's a 79! The 8th digit of the VIN in the 80s is a letter. A=1980,B=1981, C=1982... but in the 70s this digit is a number that represent the year. 8=1978 and of course 9=1979. Some people are confused by the grill that have the same design of the 78. But remember the CTC is the sportiest car of the line so the grill is color matched to the body and the little inserts are painted black. If you need the part numbers let me know:rolleyes:

I've looked to buy this car but the problem is the guy have no title. That means that I should cut the car in half to pass the Canadian Border...and that's a lot of money to bring the 2 halves of a car here lol:wink:

And I thought finding parts for my 86 Century GS was hard. Where on God's earth would you get replacement parts for those cars??