'78 Skylark swap

daddio

i've got a 78 2dr Skylark w/3.8 & auto that i want to build as a street cruiser. my dilemna is i can't make up my mind on which powertrain to go with. a GN or T drivetrain, a healthy 3.8 or 4.1 NA or a sbb 350. i don't need a 12 second car as it will never see the track. jsut some saturday night sunday cruising. it's definitely got to be a buick engine.

would you guys know any of the pros/ cons of any of these 3? i need help making up my mind. any input or ideas would be appreciated. :confused:

My Dad had a Starfire version of this when I was in high school. It had a v6 and a 5 spd. I loved the way it handled and the smooth power from the na v6 and 5 spd made it a real fun little car. Every now and then I look for one but you just can't find them anywhere.
Anyways, for cost and ease I would recommend the 4.1. Should give you plenty of power in a little cruiser (those things are light!)If you decide to turbo it later, you won't have to pull the whole motor as you will already have the foundation.
my .02

thanks for the input olds443. but, i believe the olds starfie was the olds equivalent of the buick Skyhawk not the skylark. skylark is a little bigger car. i did think about that v6/4 or 5spd combo but not sure if that Saginaw trans they used would hold up in any kind of perf app.

Oops:redface: My mistake. Skylark was more the Nova equivalent right?
And in that case I think a Buick 350 would be easiest, least hassle.