70mm throttle body on stock motor pro&cons?

Whitettype86

Young William
Well I have a accufab 70mm and precision phelum with Rjc air spacer sitting around. Wonder if I should install it on my stock motor. I remember in the past that this topic was descussed on. So what would happen or is there any benfits?

Do like Thomas Edison,

he learned something even in his failures! He knew what wouldn't work and why. :biggrin: seriously, in one of the gm-hi-tech write-ups, a 62/5mm was added to the project car, and it lost a little. I don't recall if they had the advantage of the rjc plate or not. The worst case, is, you get to inform the rest of us that it doesn't work! :biggrin:

Cant judge everything on that magazine article. A different combo will respond differently. But of course a big TB is a waste of time on a stock motor. The up-pipe measures over 63mm. If the IC is a good free flowing piece, the TB is an obvious restriction. You flow through an IC with 2.5" pipes, then through a 2.5" up-pipe, and then squeeze through a 2 1/4" TB. I dont think you'll be losing alot of power with the stocker, but it would be nice to have a TB thats at least the same size as everything else....62mm. Throttle response would be better as well. If u have a big turbo, big IC, pushing alot of boost...yeah a 70mm TB would probably work pretty well.

At one point does a larger than stock throttle body become an asset? 12 sec car? 11 sec car?

Hammer231 said:
At one point does a larger than stock throttle body become an asset? 12 sec car? 11 sec car?
It depends on the cfm flow of the engine. Higher rpm 6000+ and more cubes requires a bigger TB. Its more rpm related than anything.

There are guys running in the 9's with just ported stockers. I know the stock TB can only go to 62 mm.

it was the first mod on my stock car "other then a chip" and although i saw no track time till i got the 49 on the worst the car has gone is a 12.9 on street tires and runs 12.2 all day on low boost launches and spinning drag tires. i noticed a good difference just adding 70mm tb and doghouse and a 3" chrome up pipe. i then added a 3" chrome intake pipe with k&N when i did the 49 and saw more power i have not run the car with the new setup on there and tuned yet but my entire point is i DID notice a better difference just adding the 70tb and dh.

Someone at the nats.... said Red Armstrong was runnning a stocker on his.... and his car ran mid 9's. Most not be too much there... or looks like he would have one.......

He was running a Hemco.....and a stock type TB per my visual inspection..... someone I know told me he was running a stock TB......

Anyone have any dyno info? I find it hard to believe there is much to be gained over the 62mm on an engine that stays under 5500rpm.