700R4 question

85monte

I have a quick question for you guys concerning a 700r4. My aunt pasted away earlier this year and I was given her garage kept 1987 Chevy Caprice with now 85,000 original miles. The problem started 2 days ago on the way home from work. When the car shifted to 4th gear it felt like the converter would lock and unlock ever few seconds. I tried to put it in 3rd but it felt the same way. Once I got up to 60 mph I didn't feel again until I slowed down and started to speed back up. Is this the TCC solenoid going out? I did a search but only found one post about the lock up cycling in and out. What do you guys think? When I checked the fluid it looked ok but looked a little foamy to me. I know it needs a filter and fluid change also.

Brian:confused:

Have had my share of 700's in the past. It sounds like the TCC solenoid is in fact going out. However My Dads 93 G20 Conversion van has been doing this lately, but when he keeps it about a quart overfilled, problem seems to be better.

About what speed does it occur , that was always a common problem with GM lockup trannys around 40,45 mph or so thats why so many people used to just unplug the lockup connector on the side of the tranny. Try unplugging the connector and see if it still does it, if it doesnt the TCC switch would be the most likley culprit.

It would do it between 55-65 it seems like. That is about as fast as I drive to work. I will try it to unplug the connector and drive around this weekend to see if this helps. Thanks for the replies.

Brian

Not that I have noticed. Why? Will that cause it to cycle also?

Brian

It could. If the computer sees your speed constantly changing right around the programmed lockup speed it could constantly lock and unlock the converter until you were well above or below the programmed lockup speed.

I drove the car up to Georgia today to drop it off with my trans guys. Hopefully I will know something next week. I noticed it started slipping a little also when you kick the throttle down 3/4 or more then it would engage. I just want to make sure I dont have any problems with it on the way from Florida to my new duty station out in New Mexico. Thanks for all the inputs. I will keep you posted on what he finds.

Brian