6x9 on rear deck possible?

LS954

MH-60S Airframer, USN!!
i currently have a pair of 6x9s on my rear deck but they're installed with an adapter plate which doesnt sit the speakers flush. any other suggestion for speakers on the rear deck other than the factory 4x10?

What are you looking for sound wise? Just rear fill or some actuall midbass? You could use some masonite or MDF to create a plate and mount a speaker underneath it. You may be able to squeeze it a 5.25 if you did it that way. I made some 5" X 10.5" plates out on msonite and mounted some Boston Acoustic plate speakers that are supposed to go it a 4X6 spot. I had them laying around and just want some fill so I think they will work ok.

IMG_20130203_223644.jpg

Got this the other day and it rocks...6x9 fit perfectly to this mount and the mount fits to the 4x10 hole...no cutting no poblems....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230967380948?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That's what I used also. Works just fine. Got two JBL 6x9s out of a wrecked Lincoln Continental at a junkyard and put them in these adaptors, then installed in the rear deck of my '87 GN. Sounds great, plenty of bass. Have to watch the fit of the speaker bottoms as they can contact the hood crossprings, but these fit fine....just don't use too deep a speaker in the rear deck. (that is, measured from the top of the speaker to the bottom of it's magnet)

Bruce '87 Grand National

6x9's can be installed on the deck with no adapters BUT it is not for the faint of heart. It will require cutting. I do not suggest it as a DIY project. Matter of fact I wouldn't let a pro shop do it unless they had pictures of gbody cars that they've done this to before. I know for a fact that it can be done as I had JBL T545's in my rear deck. JBL T545's are one of the largest 6x9's with 40oz magnets and big cast aluminum frames.

I stumbled across these pics. They aren't the best but you can get a glimpse of the massive 6x9 frames and how tight they fit on the deck.
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3390.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG

It's easy to put 6X9's in the back deck without adapters. remove the back seat, remove the back deck cover....

then snip the little piece bisecting the oval hole close to the back glass. Then make two vertical cuts about 6" apart that allow the 6X9 to sit flush with the back deck (make sure to leave metal where the mounting holes are). Shoot drywall screws up from the bottom then break them off flush with the deck (they're hardened so they'll snap clean). Reinstall the deck and back seat. It will look bone stock from the inside and sound better than those plastic adapters.....

.....assuming you can take a pair of snips to your car :D

It's easy to put 6X9's in the back deck without adapters. remove the back seat, remove the back deck cover....

then snip the little piece bisecting the oval hole close to the back glass. Then make two vertical cuts about 6" apart that allow the 6X9 to sit flush with the back deck (make sure to leave metal where the mounting holes are). Shoot drywall screws up from the bottom then break them off flush with the deck (they're hardened so they'll snap clean). Reinstall the deck and back seat. It will look bone stock from the inside and sound better than those plastic adapters.....

.....assuming you can take a pair of snips to your car :D

Earl that works for every 6x9 except for the ones like I used. LOL. But I HAD to have the old school JBL T545s. The frames on them are so deep that it made the speaker sit to low and interfer with the truck spring/rods when mounted from the bottom. I didn't mind though as I was aiming for an authentic 1987 look and back then those were the shiznit. You knew the system rocked when you saw JBL's on the back deck. LOL.

My memory much be fading... I was thinking the rockin' system was pioneers 690XX 3-ways (giggity) on the back deck with a 'supertuner III" :D

I put them in and secured then with no baskets or any cutting. I used 250lbs marlin leader with slip knots. Can't even see it and I hid all the wires. I'm a fisherman so I used what u had and I'm happy with it.

For a nice setup - check out the mid 80's LeSabres or Riv's - but mostly LeSabres at he boneyard.
6x9s - with a carpeted speaker box enclosure for each speaker
Improves speaker quality greatly
Carpeted - available in both grey and black
Speaker boxes are installed via a little snap in hinge on one side, and two plastic nuts (on threaded studs) on the other.
Not exactly "drop in" - but flush and doable.
They slide in from the top and clip in some funky little plastic clip - but sit mainly flush.
You take the little funky clips as well.
As usual - they don't even really know what to charge for the speaker boxes - so it's usually very little.

Attachments

• LESABRE SPEAKERS 001.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 001.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 351
  • LESABRE SPEAKERS 002.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 002.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 318
  • LESABRE SPEAKERS 004.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 004.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 364
  • LESABRE SPEAKERS 005.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 005.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 320
  • LESABRE SPEAKERS 006.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 006.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 329
  • LESABRE SPEAKERS 007.JPG
    LESABRE SPEAKERS 007.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 347
Here's how I did my 6 x 9s:

DSC_0144.JPG DSC_0151.JPG DSC_0143.JPG DSC_0152.JPG
They sure sound good. Speakers came out of a Lincoln Continental...paid $5 each for them.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The adapters the soldier got off of eBay work well but they do hit the trunk torsion bars and the wire hangers do need a little tweaking. But they don't muffle your sound and they will support a heavy speaker with ease.

Ricer X
Mines dont have a problem with the torsion bars...they came out perfect....some guys were having issues with the torsion bars...guess every GN TB has a different experience...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It could also be the difference in construction of the speaker frame it's self or some speakers have a plastic piece (an insulator ?) that separates the speaker frame from the rear deck. I've got kappas in my deck now and ran Reference, since the 80's,prior to that so it could be the construction of the infinity brand. Plus if the brand of your choosing hits it won't even be noticed.