#670 Prepares for a new engine

Hardway

After 201,047 miles my TTA is getting a new power plant. Some of you may remember my post about using a fresh rebuilt Buick shortblock with GN pistons and rods. The old motor came out last weekend and the tear down began earlier this week. I took pictures of the tear down, my mechanic and I were surprised of how good everything looked. There was not a bit of sludge in the oil valley, no scratches in any of the cylinder bores, and the heads showed that for the most part the car has been running well. The motor has never been rebuilt but a new timing chain was put in several years ago. The primary reason for doing the engine swap was from a cam knock that had developed after I bought the car in Oct. 2006. Once we got everything apart we realized the phenolic spacer/bearing that would go in front of the cam was gone. Since there was no damage on the timing cover we assume whoever did the timing chain did not put is back on. The preliminary inspection revealed that everything seems to be in great shape so far. My mechanic is going to thoroghly inspect the block and all parts. Once it is cleaned everything will be given a light coat oil and bagged for a future rebuild. I will not be selling anything since I want to keep all the matching numbers parts to the car. The Buick shortblock is just to get me by for a few years till I build up the TTA motor like I want. Attached is a PB link with all the pics.

camaroguy1969/Turbo TA Motor Tear Down - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

01.jpg

10.jpg

Welcome too the club .... just got mine back from the machine shop and are slowly putting it all back together ....

Thanks for sharing all the photos, will be very useful for me as a reference when putting it all back together .... like the way you kept the transmission in the car so you can move it around.

Would you happen to have your heads handy and could measure the size of the freeze plugs? I think they are 1 1/8" but might be 1 1/4" .... got my heads at the machine shop as the valves were bent and some other work needs to be done too them as well and forgot to measure the size of the freeze plugs so I can get a new set

I will head over to the shop tomorrow and measure the freeze plugs for you Jan. The light is off of the Matco tool truck. If you look around you might be able to find it online as well since I do not think it is made by Matco.

Welcome too the club .... just got mine back from the machine shop and are slowly putting it all back together ....

Thanks for sharing all the photos, will be very useful for me as a reference when putting it all back together .... like the way you kept the transmission in the car so you can move it around.

Would you happen to have your heads handy and could measure the size of the freeze plugs? I think they are 1 1/8" but might be 1 1/4" .... got my heads at the machine shop as the valves were bent and some other work needs to be done too them as well and forgot to measure the size of the freeze plugs so I can get a new set

My freeze plugs on the TTA heads measured 1 1/8'' Jan

Keep in mind the GN pistons will produce about 9.5:1 CR with TTA heads so go easy on the boost. Or keep a lot of octane in the tank.

TTA tear down

I just looked at the TTA tear down pictures and am wondering if anyone knows or if they have pictures that show the difference between the Turbo Buick pistons and the TTA pistons. I might be wanting to do the Turbo Buick short block switch and was wondering what would happen to the compression ratio?

I did not mean to steal this thread. I was just wanting some information.
Thanks,
Jeasen

I just looked at the TTA tear down pictures and am wondering if anyone knows or if they have pictures that show the difference between the Turbo Buick pistons and the TTA pistons. I might be wanting to do the Turbo Buick short block switch and was wondering what would happen to the compression ratio?

I did not mean to steal this thread. I was just wanting some information.
Thanks,
Jeasen

GN pistons will produce about 9.5:1 CR with TTA heads. The TTA pistons will have a deeper dish.
I dont have a pic of a GN piston but here is a stock melted TTA piston and a .20 over JE TTA piston
Picture261.jpg

When I replaced the rear 2 pistons in my TTA the Buick dealership swore the GN and TTA pistons were the same so i bought 'em. They looked the same. The dish was only several cc's different but the compression ratio was considerably different. I ran it with higher compression in the back two for hundreds of 12 and 11 second passes plus 33000 miles. When it finally let go because the hose came off the wastegate actuator and the turbo pegged my 30# gauge it blew the gasket into the valley on the middle 2, not the back.

GN pistons will produce about 9.5:1 CR with TTA heads. The TTA pistons will have a deeper dish.
I dont have a pic of a GN piston but here is a stock melted TTA piston and a .20 over JE TTA piston
Picture261.jpg

That sucker has been detonated like crazy. Better watch the tuneup on the new engine.. and octane.

Yes I am aware of the compression ratio difference and I will be taking it easy on the boost. For added insurance I plan to install a razor alky kit. I will keep everyone posted on the swap and the build up.

Yes I am aware of the compression ratio difference and I will be taking it easy on the boost. For added insurance I plan to install a razor alky kit. I will keep everyone posted on the swap and the build up.

You will only be a point higher in compression with stock TTA heads on a GN shortblock. If the heads have been done, the chambers are usually opened a few cc's and will lower it around 8.75:1. You will have no problem and will actually enjoy the added compression with no adverse affects except a faster spooling turbo and needing to run a couple pounds less boost with more horsepower because of a less heated air charge... Good Luck....

Well it is finally in and running strong. It has taken almost 10 months to get here but I think it was worth it and I am very happy so far. I have few other things to do like install my chrome MAF and intake pipes, install a new IAC, turn the rubber hoses around so they are not displaying the RPC logos, and a few other odds and ends. Once I get 500 miles on it we will turn the boost up to around 5psi and then drive it for another 2,500 miles. After that we can start figuring out what the max boost will be, we are thinking 11-13psi, stock was 15psi. With the slighter higher compression it runs stronger without boost but I am limited on what my max boost could be. Enjoy!

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k157/cam...20Motor DONE/