6466 Turbo Talk.

View attachment 395476
I will let you know soon how this compare to the precision 6466 I had on it before. One thing I can tell you the hpt turbo spools faster and sounds different to the precision. Hope my converter can handle it all in on my combo.
Do you have anything in place of the J-Bracket to support your turbo?

Yes it will hit. I’ve got a turbosmart hypergate lite and it’s about 1/4” away from the intercooler even with the intercooler shimmed forward by about 1/2”. The shroud is now within 1/4” of the radiator fans.
Not sure if this would help in the short term, for anyone considering the HPT, but my engine builder modified both PS and DS brackets to allow more degrees of freedom for PTE SLIC. Even when I installed it on a mostly stock setup I had problem with the PTE lining up properly and Dave Roland modified the stock DS bracket and simply built a new PS side bracket. The one PS one from PTE had cracked. I guess the first problem you would face though in moving the PTE SLIC is alignment with your turbo, not a whole lot of give in the short hose. May be other issues, but food for thought. Does this only apply to the 4-bolt exhaust housings?

Not sure if this would help in the short term, for anyone considering the HPT, but my engine builder modified both PS and DS brackets to allow more degrees of freedom for PTE SLIC. Even when I installed it on a mostly stock setup I had problem with the PTE lining up properly and Dave Roland modified the stock DS bracket and simply built a new PS side bracket. The one PS one from PTE had cracked. I guess the first problem you would face though in moving the PTE SLIC is alignment with your turbo, not a whole lot of give in the short hose. May be other issues, but food for thought. Does this only apply to the 4-bolt exhaust housings?
It applies to the 3 bolt also.

From a roll the c7 has a weight advantage and a 8 speed transmission which I’m sure is an advantage. But the hpt 6466 lights up instantly it feels like I’m driving in boost. What converter do you have.
Its the PTC 9.5 N/L 17 blade Spect by Dusty for my exact set-up,,turbo.cam etc.. couples great. I think if i throw another 50 HP at the car,especially at the hit ,it may drive thru the converter?

From a roll the c7 has a weight advantage and a 8 speed transmission which I’m sure is an advantage. But the hpt 6466 lights up instantly it feels like I’m driving in boost. What converter do you have.
Curious on you thoughts on going from the 45a to the Hpt 6466, i remember your other thread, or was there another turbo in between them?

Its the PTC 9.5 N/L 17 blade Spect by Dusty for my exact set-up,,turbo.cam etc.. couples great. I think if i throw another 50 HP at the car,especially at the hit ,it may drive thru the converter?
I have the same converter its almost impossible to drive over.

Curious on you thoughts on going from the 45a to the Hpt 6466, i remember your other thread, or was there another turbo in between them?
I loved the 45a and it performed well for me. 10.06 @ 135. But there is no comparison to the hpt 6466. It feel like I gained 100 cubic inches and compression. Night and day difference. If anyone has a heads, cam, Buick I’m recommending them a hpt 6466. Turbo is a monster. Next year I’m going to see what it can do. I also will be going to e85 from the current pump gas alky setup.

I loved the 45a and it performed well for me. 10.06 @ 135. But there is no comparison to the hpt 6466. It feel like I gained 100 cubic inches and compression. Night and day difference. If anyone has a heads, cam, Buick I’m recommending them a hpt 6466. Turbo is a monster. Next year I’m going to see what it can do. I also will be going to e85 from the current pump gas alky setup.
Once you go to e85 it will spool even faster.

Since Biden, can't find E85 anywhere in AZ. Not easily, anyway. Might be E67, if you're lucky.

Jus' sayin'.

I suspected as much, i like to hear real world experiences , cool stuff 👍

Never met a billet bb 64 turbo I didnt like
Think tnetics newer 64 11 blade would work with a good exhaust housing. 11 blades works best up to 25/26 psi boost which is what a lot keep it at.
I'm sure hpt 64 as a whole is much better but I have a 11 blade compressor with 68f1 exhaust wheel (not 6466) works good at 25psi

Ive run
Think tnetics newer 64 11 blade would work with a good exhaust housing. 11 blades works best up to 25/26 psi boost which is what a lot keep it at.
I'm sure hpt 64 as a whole is much better but I have a 11 blade compressor with 68f1 exhaust wheel (not 6466) works good at 25psi
The tnetics turbos as well.
25psi is pretty conservative depending on motor combo.
We used to run them in diesel boost land😁
I've run both 64/65bb and 64/68 old f1 turbine wheels on various ex housings and different compressor covers.
They made great power with spool times in the .3 area to all in max power.

Comp builds whatever sizing you want😉
So if your willing to experiment and have alot of data (like me for instance) you can have a custom turbo built😉
Good to know! I only see T3 & T4 inlets with non-Buick discharge (V-band or 4Bolt) on their website. I need 3 bolt inlet for my TA headers and Buick-style discharge for 3.5in TA DP with internal (cough, lol) waste-gate. Need to contact them...

Good to know! I only see T3 & T4 inlets with non-Buick discharge (V-band or 4Bolt) on their website. I need 3 bolt inlet for my TA headers and Buick-style discharge for 3.5in TA DP with internal (cough, lol) waste-gate. Need to contact them...
Done a few 3 bolt with ta headers and 3.5 dp.
Go right to the .85 3 bolt pte ex housing nothing smaller.

I want to reiterate what Mr.Spool said about internal gates versus external gates. You can make all the power you want with an internal gate and you can make as much boost as that turbo can make and you can have zero boost creep, which doesn't concern me at all, not even a little bit, in fact I'm all for some boost creep in the higher RPMs.
The bottom line is that the internal gate can either make low boost or high boost. The benefit of the external gate is that it can make both low boost and high boost. Of course, this can only be accomplished with the addition of an electronic boost controller. The benefit of the external wastegate is that you can make lower boost early in a run and ramp it up. You can't do this with an internal gate I've never been to the track with my car and I have an old 6776 cast wheeled turbo that's spools very well now that I have a 273 cubic inch engine bolted to it, but because I only have an internal wastegate, my car is useless in a street race. The much better / more versatile external wastegate would cure that problem.

Using a turbosmart iwg actuator and a MAC valve, I've been successful at calibrating internal gates for flex fuel setups that can run low boost for gasoline and high boost for E85 using only the duty cycle from the ECU for control. This particular car was able to run close to 30psi using the same hardware that ran as low as 11.8psi. This is using the ECUGN boost controller logic, configured to slew closed loop boost targets based on ethanol content. This logic is configurable, and can be based on any number of different inputs besides ethanol content. Gear, VSS, or a hardwired switch for example.

Some snippets from the same car showing the wastegate / boost pressure responding to duty
at 0% boost duty 11.8psi, gasoline
0% 11.8psi.PNG

45% and 18.3psi
45% 18.3psi.PNG

55% yielding 21.8psi
55% 21.8psi.PNG

and at 67% boost duty 24.5psi on E85 (sorry about the tire spin)
67% 24psi.PNG

@BEATAV8 What size turbo and how big of a wastegate hole did you need to make? That is pretty good control; but to be fair the turbosmart actuator is a bit nicer than the stock style one. Also, is a dual port or single port acuator?