6466 Turbo Talk.

Mr. Spool. I apologize again. I have some real questions here. Can you elaborate on the last part of this statement. The turbo cannot be run all in on an HD actuator. Is the reason because the actuator doesn't have enough spring pressure?
I accept your apology👍

Ok for some reason... Maybe like you said... This is the internet, and Face to Face would probably be no issues with us. I agree with that, and pretty much every point I'm trying to make (not including the smart ass comments) has been either mistakenly misconstrued, or just ignored. Either way i apologize for hijacking this thread, and turning it in to a shit show.
No worries.
This type of internet communication can easily be thrown in a wrong direction.

Yes that is a solution. In my opinion I think he can get his current setup to work. Maybe I'm wrong, and you're right. But before that conclusion is made there are multiple things he can check to narrow the issue down to what is causing his issue.
It's a solution that works on every setup.
so once you pull the header off and install the external with a properly sized wastegate and co2 there are 0 issues my friend.
Doesnt matter what turbo your running
Motor combo
Converter.
you get full control over the turbo system with maximum gate response 😉
As conditions in air humidity and surfaces change
It's safer,/smarter and allows for a much quicker adaptation to the conditions.

He would need to open up the turbo port to match the puck otherwise the size of the puck doesn't matter . I'm guessing that it is an over boost condition , but he didn't state how high boost was going to . Stating that it's at 20psi @40% TPS doesn't tell us much . My 6465 would be at full boost , 30psi ( which is what I selected ) at less than full throttle .
And that's one of the issues
We have to guess
Try
Time and more time
Pull stuff apart etc
Because we are reacting with an internal gate instead of telling it what to do😉

When you say I can't control boost , what exactly do you mean ?? You can't stop it from going to high ? If it's going to high , open up the turbo wastegate port , if boost is to low shorten the actuator rod and pull real tight onto the wastegate arm . If still to low get a block off plate that goes between the turbo & downpipe and bore a hole smaller than the turbo wastegate hole . I had the problem of not enough boost and this took care of the low boost problem . After I went to external , I gave this plate to another board member who had the same low boost problem and it fixed his issues also .
Because your talking about a certain window of turbo response acceptance at a specific horsepower level and ranges.
There are many scenarios that dont work even if you get geometry of the internal right
And the sealing of the puck.
So let me go this way
Scenario #1
Yes its the flip end
Let's say I make 1200hp and need to control the boost to get down the street and need that hp to stay ahead of the competition or any racing of choice.
Scenario #2
Excessive wheelspin on a tire size that's inadequate for the combo in somebodies great wisdom🙄should work lol
Or class racing lol
What do you do?
Internal gate?
hoping the guy you paid for the hole size is right?
That the geometry of the swing arm is truly sealing the gate up?
hoping that the back pressure in your turbo system allows for your choice of wastegate strategy.
and if your wrong your pulling it apart and retesting and paying someone for that too.
Guessing, the big poder the thought.
Buying a new converter and turbo to get it to work.
Pulling that stuff apart and paying to do so.
And even if you do,
It still wont react as fast as co2,flow like an external gate and allow the turbo response tuning range😉
Your choice of external is smart😎

These new turbo wheel designs spool so fast that running an internal gate on a motor that makes good power will be difficult to control over-boosting . Your boost control will lag boost pressure with an internal gate because you're relying boost pressure to open the gate .

These new turbo wheel designs spool so fast that running an internal gate on a motor that makes good power will be difficult to control over-boosting . Your boost control will lag boost pressure with an internal gate because you're relying boost pressure to open the gate .
External gate is one thing I would absolutely do again if I had to do it again. I love having the ability to control the boost over a much larger range than the internal gate; I can ramp the boost in so I don't blow the tires off, cut the boost based on e85/pump gas, etc.

Took several tries with the die grinder to get the hole size right to control the boost even with the JB 6262 I ran.

Took several tries with the die grinder to get the hole size right to control the boost even with the JB 6262 I ran.
My low boost condition ,19psi , started with the puck misaligned with the turbo port . I got a blank plate , marked where the puck landed and opened it up to the max I could , about 1.2" . Now I topped out at 24psi , so I got another plate and bored it to .90" and that allowed me to 30psi .

Great comments on wastegates, someone should start a new thread on just that, wastegates. The HPT turbos rock and probably be what most of us would run moving forwards and that means you'll need to decide on...

Normal wastegate (springs with compressor pressure)
Wastegate with CO2 (high psi)
Electric wastegate (totally new design)

Because your talking about a certain window of turbo response acceptance at a specific horsepower level and ranges.
There are many scenarios that dont work even if you get geometry of the internal right
And the sealing of the puck.
So let me go this way
Scenario #1
Yes its the flip end
Let's say I make 1200hp and need to control the boost to get down the street and need that hp to stay ahead of the competition or any racing of choice.
Scenario #2
Excessive wheelspin on a tire size that's inadequate for the combo in somebodies great wisdom🙄should work lol
Or class racing lol
What do you do?
Internal gate?
hoping the guy you paid for the hole size is right?
That the geometry of the swing arm is truly sealing the gate up?
hoping that the back pressure in your turbo system allows for your choice of wastegate strategy.
and if your wrong your pulling it apart and retesting and paying someone for that too.
Guessing, the big poder the thought.
Buying a new converter and turbo to get it to work.
Pulling that stuff apart and paying to do so.
And even if you do,
It still wont react as fast as co2,flow like an external gate and allow the turbo response tuning range😉
Your choice of external is smart😎
Another cool guy part that I must have, an external wastegate. LOL! Cool guy part that will be very beneficial. I don't think I will have any issue with excessive tire spin just yet or controlling power for the streets. Hopefully I can max out my current setup and learn something along the way and then step up the PTE 6466 or HPT of comparable performace capibility, then add the external wastegate.

Another cool guy part that I must have, an external wastegate. LOL! Cool guy part that will be very beneficial. I don't think I will have any issue with excessive tire spin just yet or controlling power for the streets. Hopefully I can max out my current setup and learn something along the way and then step up the PTE 6466 or HPT of comparable performace capibility, then add the external wastegate.
The HPT 6466 will support more power than the pte 6466.

I think there is more to ratings than than most know.
I will say this I wouldn't want an ex housing ar of .70 for 925 or 1000hp😉
Nor would I want a small compressor wheel and turbine wheel for that power level
I have seen 1st hand many times what that can lead too🙂

PTC has the 6466 available with the H cover with a 3" compressor outlet. It's rated 1000hp.

those that look at backpressure and fuel usage will understand post 257.
from the data ive seen and its extensive,think about them like injectors,yes you may run them at 100%duty cycle but running them at 80% leaves a cushion😎

i would like to see back to back testing on the same combo, i bet its closer then there overall rating states, i've seen a pte-6265 blow way past its rating , these claims of 150 more hp on the same size wheel is hard to figure
the 45a had a 72lb/min rating and did a lot past that as well, these old ratings were just that underrated and these new ratings are just closer to what they actually are and always were imo