6131bb and 6157bb owners please help

QwuickTurbo6

Hi all. I just got a buickgn 3'' dp with 38mm external gate and a 3" dump, and I am now thinking about retiring the stock turbo. The car has a 12" 2800 rpm stall and I am wondering which of these ball bearing turbos would be best suited for my combo. The car sees 95% street duty, but it will see a few passes this spring/summer and I'm hoping to be able to tune my way into a mid eleven pass with a wide-band and sticky tires. Anyone's experience with the spool up of these turbos is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all. I just got a buickgn 3'' dp with 38mm external gate and a 3" dump, and I am now thinking about retiring the stock turbo. The car has a 12" 2800 rpm stall and I am wondering which of these ball bearing turbos would be best suited for my combo. The car sees 95% street duty, but it will see a few passes this spring/summer and I'm hoping to be able to tune my way into a mid eleven pass with a wide-band and sticky tires. Anyone's experience with the spool up of these turbos is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

With the 61/31 you would not need the BB.
You could probably do a 62/62 BB but I am not sure how your injectors would like it.

With the 61/31 you would not need the BB.
You could probably do a 62/62 BB but I am not sure how your injectors would like it.

So do you think the 6157e bb would be good for street use and work with 009 injectors+alky?? How close would I be cutting the injector duty cycle?

So do you think the 6157e bb would be good for street use and work with 009 injectors+alky?? How close would I be cutting the injector duty cycle?

The alky would help you reach the 6157E BB turbos capabilities. The 42.5# injectors by themselves will safely support 510 flywheel hp. Throw in alky and you could potentially get close to 600 flywheel. That turbo will support 625-630 flywheel hp maxed out. FWIW, I myself have pushed 42.5# Lucas injectors into the low 11's with all the bolt ons and a TE-45 turbo. That was without alky injection on a full weight '87 Turbo T Limited that was probably close to 3900#s with driver. Using VP C16 and a lot of boost.

The 6131 and the 6157 from what I've been told, are the same turbo if they originated from PTE.
The dual bb version, with your combo and alky would be an excellent turbo for an 11 second bolt on goal.
HTH

Patrick

Alright that's exactly what I've been hoping for! Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I think I'm leaning towards the 6157e bb. One more thing though. I'm not quite sure how the 6131 and 6157 could be the same:confused: Doesn't the 6157 have a bigger exhaust wheel than the 6131? Again thanks for the help, I want to make the right choice the first time.:cool:

I have no regrets with my 6157bb. Great turbo for 11's. Spools fast. I think I can get more out of mine. The 6157 has a redesigned turbine wheel. Not sure if its bigger, but supposed to be more efficient.

You can see the times in my sig with the ball bearing 6131. With a stock converter the spool was about the same as a stock turbo. My times were on crappy standard street radials with zero traction.....the tune was also pretty conservative and wasn't run enough to dial it for better times. The MPH as it was with a drag radial 60 ft. should net a mid-high 11. :cool:

6131 = 61mm inducer compressor wheel, 31 = T31 Garrett turbine wheel that was a 57 trim wheel.

6157 = 61mm inducer compressor wheel, (now available in Billet CNC aluminum) 57 trim turbine wheel. (Not sure if new design or other manufacturers wheel. You'd have to ask PTE direct to clarrify)

Name change happened around the time when Boosted technology hit the scene.
HTH

Patrick

Moving up from a TA49

Pretty much in the same boat, want to move up from my ol faithful TA49, has about 20k on it. Running 60's, 12" 2800 stall, Razor's alky and one of our big ol honking Super Extreme front mounts. My GN is approaching 30k on an unopened motor (except for a rear main seal at 5k)

Would I even notice much of a difference going to the 6157BB turbo??

Mark, your TA 49 is rated at 545HP
the 6157 is rated at 630HP
I would think with the BB you will see quicker spool too IMO

Alright thanks for clearing up the confusion on that. I guess I will still go with the 6157 even though it's the same size as a 6131 because it uses better technology. Then again, with a more efficient wheel you wouldn't think it would need a little more stall than a 6131.:confused: That's it I'm calling PTE!!:D

Anybody have any more opinions on the 6157? I have a Vigilante 3200 converter along with this turbo but no track times yet. Also will install 60 lb injectors and a new chip. Hoping for mid 11's after the snow/ice goes away.

I am still happy with that turbo. I think you'll have no problem getting mid 11's. This summer I cut a best 60' of 1.56. My times were on a Vigilante single disc and 255 series tires.

Anybody have any more opinions on the 6157? I have a Vigilante 3200 converter along with this turbo but no track times yet. Also will install 60 lb injectors and a new chip. Hoping for mid 11's after the snow/ice goes away.

You should have no problems spooling.
Your converter is on the high side of what people would
run with that turbine wheel. 11s should not be a problem.

I had a problem building and holding boost at the line. Will install a "jumper valve" and see if that helps, to send more psi to rear brakes. Car wanted to push through the lights. I have the larger brake cylinders and shoes.

I'm happy with the turbo, although I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a little tighter converter, the 2800 10" ptc allows it to come up on boost very fast, but there's just zero traction because of it. The car was much easier to launch with the stock d5 but could have benefitted from some more rpm down low. Dusty has said it before but it really bears repeating, something in the 2400rpm range is really all you're going to need to spool a 61mm ballbearing turbo.

I'm happy with the turbo, although I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a little tighter converter, the 2800 10" ptc allows it to come up on boost very fast, but there's just zero traction because of it. The car was much easier to launch with the stock d5 but could have benefitted from some more rpm down low. Dusty has said it before but it really bears repeating, something in the 2400rpm range is really all you're going to need to spool a 61mm ballbearing turbo.

x2 Mines not even bb. He knows his converters, Mine converter started as a 3200. I have thought long and hard about going to a 2400. Scott a local here went 10.96 at 122 with a 2400 stall on an unopened stock block on boost and c16.

x2 Mines not even bb. He knows his converters, Mine converter started as a 3200. I have thought long and hard about going to a 2400. Scott a local here went 10.96 at 122 with a 2400 stall on an unopened stock block on boost and c16.

Your 60' is good. Wouldn't you be giving something up if you went to 2400 stall? Maybe you just need to turn up the boost!

Your 60' is good. Wouldn't you be giving something up if you went to 2400 stall? Maybe you just need to turn up the boost!

Maybe, maybe not. I am adding a 212/212 cam, .85 turbine housing, and rebuilding the trans. Then we will see, I am suspect the trans is slipping costing me some already. The 2400 can work well and may be a better match for this size turbo, especially a BB.

Maybe, maybe not. I am adding a 212/212 cam, .85 turbine housing, and rebuilding the trans. Then we will see, I am suspect the trans is slipping costing me some already. The 2400 can work well and may be a better match for this size turbo, especially a BB.

Sending you a PM.