chriss4655

Thinking of switching from a te44 to a 6131 ,both journal bearing ,without a convetor change. 12" restalled d5 2400 rpm @ o booost. yes or no?

You will enjoy that turbo. I ran 27lbs and it wanted more. Used a 2800, but in all actuality it was more like 2400. No spool up issues, but it is still a journal bearing so drive accordingly.

Thinking of switching from a te44 to a 6131 ,both journal bearing ,without a convetor change. 12" restalled d5 2400 rpm @ o booost. yes or no?

I would stick with the te44, I had a te6131 ball bearing water cooled turbo with the stock converter and it had a bit of lag. Once it spooled it really ripped though ( boost was at 19 lbs ).I was told that if I do the heads and converter it would really be an animal so I sold it and bought a ta49 which is much more suitable for stock heads. If you intend on doing heads and converter the te6131 would be very happy. Hope this helps, Kyle.

Not much difference between either of them with the small stage 3 turbine. The gt35r compressor will have a lot more potential with a t350, 69, or 76p turbine. The later 3 need a good converter. You won't be able to get a cheapie converter to spool and couple them. If you're not trapping 117mph then running more than the 44 is a waste especially with a 12" converter. The gt35r compressor does a little better at higher pressure ratios but most don't have anywhere near the combo to see the difference. Looks like 63lbs/min@ 2.5:1 PR. Not going to come close to that with stock heads or a stage 3 turbine. Gt35r compressor map:

Attachments

• image-1943380881.jpg
    image-1943380881.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 90
whats up Chris......... looking for more :p
I trapped at 117 with that turbo it got happy after 20 psi.
I would think about that 12" converter if it was me ;)
That's how Rich spools that 67 he runs. He will never use all that turbo with out bigger injectors and better heads like the ones he has sitting in the basement. He could be the fastest of our little group if he put it all together.

Hey Larry,always looking for more,I agree rich needs to put all his goodies in that stock motor!!!!! would only take a couple of days:) Thanks for the reply's

I made the change from a TE44 to a GT6131e in my car. Stock longblock, 3K stall. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not a HUGE difference, but it was definitely worth it.

-Will

Yo Rich ,I have that breather that u need sitting on the bench, I'll throw it in the gn for this weekend. What it's a game! nobody told me it was a game!!!! :eek:

Thanks for the reply Will, going to bolt it on and give it a try, my convertor might be a little tight, but ya never know until u try!!!