5x120 vs 5x120.65 are they interchangable?

Mark Parks

I am looking at getting some custom wheels. Beyern wheel made for the BMW has a mesh wheel but they are 5x120 instead of 5x120.65 for the TB. Is this a BIG DEAL?
The offset is 15mm. I would like to run 245x40 18 on the front and 275x35 18 on the rear.
IS THIS POSSIBLE?? Any help or comments appreciated!!

I have heard of people running them, but it always made me uncomfortable.
First, the bolt hole in the wheel is about .012" inside of the bolt center. May not sound like much, but I don't like the idea of undue pressure on the studs, especially on these cars. Maybe a show car that's never raced, but.... :confused:

Second, if it's a +15mm offset, that's .59" more backspace than optimum for this car. ("0" offset is usually best). That is more like a FWD wheel. On an 8" wide wheel, it would be over 5" backspace. 4.5" would be best, esp. on the front. On the rear, a 9" wide wheel would have over 5.5" backspace, too much on a stock GN. You would need to run spacers or adapters, adding more pressure on the studs. :frown:

Just my opinion. As I said, there are people running them. Hopefully they will post their experiences. :biggrin:

I have heard of people running them, but it always made me uncomfortable.
First, the bolt hole in the wheel is about .012" inside of the bolt center. May not sound like much, but I don't like the idea of undue pressure on the studs, especially on these cars. Maybe a show car that's never raced, but.... :confused:

Second, if it's a +15mm offset, that's .59" more backspace than optimum for this car. ("0" offset is usually best). That is more like a FWD wheel. On an 8" wide wheel, it would be over 5" backspace. 4.5" would be best, esp. on the front. On the rear, a 9" wide wheel would have over 5.5" backspace, too much on a stock GN. You would need to run spacers or adapters, adding more pressure on the studs. :frown:

Just my opinion. As I said, there are people running them. Hopefully they will post their experiences. :biggrin:

According to the people that sell the wheels the offset range is -14mm to +14mm I want feedback!!!!!!!!

Please don't do it.
I know, people say they fit. The truth is, they "almost fit".
They will "bolt on" but will they "stay on"? No, they will eventually work loose.

Hi Mark, talked to you on the phone the other day about tire prices. I wish I could be of more help on the BMW wheels, but I cant! Let me know what you decide to do tire wise.

I wouldn't use them

think about this..... the wheels bolt pattern is slightly smaller than the axle bolt pattern, the wheel studs would be bent inward, or under stress at all times!
one good bump and you could snap the studs, on one OR MORE WHEELS!
its not worth it.
I value my car to much to risk it.

______
.65 = .390 = just over 3/8 inch each wheel stud

Aren't you ASSUMING they would be bent if IF there was ABSOLUTELY NO play in the wheel hole so that they wouldn't line up?

think about this..... the wheels bolt pattern is slightly smaller than the axle bolt pattern, the wheel studs would be bent inward, or under stress at all times!
one good bump and you could snap the studs, on one OR MORE WHEELS!
its not worth it.
I value my car to much to risk it.

______
.65 = .390 = just over 3/8 inch each wheel stud

Your math is WAY off. 0.65 mm is .025590 inches. That's 25 thousandths across two studs, or about .0125 at each stud.

oops

your right,
still 120.65 is 1/4 in larger OD than 120.

do what you want. just post up the pics of the carnage.:wink: