5.0 Ford 5 speed turbocharged GN build

turboaaron

Well after thinking about this for 20 years i decided it was time. Having had 6 turbo buicks and 14 5.0 mustangs it seemed natural. A stick grand national always sounded fun and, some may disagree, but the ford fuelie 302 is an awesome motor to tinker with. Plus parts are limitless and cheap. Before anyone goes nuts and says " you ruined a grand national" remember they made 20,000 plus of these cars so they aren't super rare. This was a clean no rust roller that was about to be parted out. So in the end it will be a fully restored GN with a ford motor you can take out if desired.
PLUS doing a LS or big block or 350 has been done before and didnt seem very interesting to me.
So my mechanic Danny took this on and we've been working on it down in Fairhaven, MA
Motor mounts fabbed and motor in, Trans crossmember fabbed and in, driveshaft test fit done, floor cut (!!!) and stock t-5 shifter fits just where it should to use stock console, hot side on, turbo on, crossover in process, pedals next and then its power up and fuel so its getting there.

Attachments

• gngnpickup.jpg
    gngnpickup.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • passtuboside.jpg
    passtuboside.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • turbogn92coop 022.jpg
    turbogn92coop 022.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 992
more pics

Attachments

• turbogn92coop 025.jpg
    turbogn92coop 025.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 787
  • turbogn92coop 015.jpg
    turbogn92coop 015.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 783
  • turbogn92coop 021.jpg
    turbogn92coop 021.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 743
You're doing it wrong. GM engines go in Mustangs, lol. I can't say much, I'm doing a turbo LS in my GN. The problem with the sbfs is that the blocks are weak pieces of crap. Hopefully the valley on yours won't collapse at 500hp. ;)

I know someone in MA that is putting a GN engine in a 91 ish notch back mustang. That should be fun. I can't remember if it's gonna be a stick or not.

D

turboaaron said:
Well after thinking about this for 20 years i decided it was time. Having had 6 turbo buicks and 14 5.0 mustangs it seemed natural. A stick grand national always sounded fun and, some may disagree, but the ford fuelie 302 is an awesome motor to tinker with. Plus parts are limitless and cheap. Before anyone goes nuts and says " you ruined a grand national" remember they made 20,000 plus of these cars so they aren't super rare. This was a clean no rust roller that was about to be parted out. So in the end it will be a fully restored GN with a ford motor you can take out if desired.
PLUS doing a LS or big block or 350 has been done before and didnt seem very interesting to me.
So my mechanic Danny took this on and we've been working on it down in Fairhaven, MA
Motor mounts fabbed and motor in, Trans crossmember fabbed and in, driveshaft test fit done, floor cut (!!!) and stock t-5 shifter fits just where it should to use stock console, hot side on, turbo on, crossover in process, pedals next and then its power up and fuel so its getting there.

Oh NO HE DIDN'T lmao

I respect your decision but man will it be weird hearing a 5.0 later coming down the road and then actually see it being a GN.

Its a fun project- there is no kit for this (lol) so pretty much all the turbo and trans stuff is custom- lots of measuring and test fitting and welding. Other than the passenger header nothing made for a 5.0 turbo fits or works without fabrication and modification. Doing the crossover now then its on to the cold side.

hello; Good skills. It will be differant! So it's a turbo 5.0 auto trans? It sounds interesting.
IBBY

Awwww man!!!! The horror lmao hearing flows and factory h pipe coming from a gn then adding 5.0 badges under the gn badges i see it now... An angry lenchmob!!! Good luck with the project tho....

Years ago I split a 5.0 like an egg right up the middle of the mains - 587rwhp. Don't plan on going fast with that engine in there.