4bbl swap again !

BiGBoY

4bbl swap again !

Yeah, another 4.1 intake swap question ;)

I have a Buick from the generation where all was simple (1978) but where the big Hp number wasn't there too in NA 3.8litre.
Hum, If I want to stay with a non-electronic carburator and all that is implied (trans swap, distributor swap, add computer) on what car (I means the years) can I find all parts I need ???

Don't worry, I know it's better to change my head to the 79 later version. But wich one flow that well stock ?

Well if I understand the question you will need to use the 79 and newer cylinder heads if you want to use the factory 4 bbl manifold. If I understand my information you can bolt these heads to a 78 block but dont take my word on it. The heads will not bolt on a 77 and older block! You should be able to use a non computer HEI distributor from a 75-80 NA 3.8. If you haven't bought the manifold yet maybe the best way to go is buy a complete 4.1 from a salvage yard. They are quite plentiful down here although you may have the look to find the non computer version used in 1980. Also 79-80 3.8 NA motors are out there. Anything after 81 is computer controlled. You shouldn't have to do anything with the transmission as the only thing controlled by the computer is the TCC. You can wire up the TCC function to a manual switch or depending on how much power you have wire it to lock up automaticly when it shifts into 2nd and disengages when you step on the brake. If you have any more questions you might want to post them over in the Before Black(Non-SFI) section. Eric Fisher

Thanks a lot, I'm gonna look that altough I believe it's pretty hard to find a 4.1 1980 not crushed !:rolleyes: