400 hp?

josh watson

I want 400 whp.......I don't get to the track that often so i am more worried about street manners. My engine has about 15,000 miles on the rebuild and all the normal upgrades ( dwn pipe, exhaust, fuel pump , injectors, chip, adjustable wastegate,) My converter stalls at 2,000 ish and I run 15-16 lbs of boost (93 octane). I have plans for a frnt mnt intercooler......before the new turbo. The factory turbo was rebuilt the same time as the engine so I'm in no hurry. I have laid down 280 hp 380 trq at the wheels with this combo. any thoughts on a new turbo are appreciated.

I wouldn't even ask but most posts on here have to do with qtr mile times and I don't race (often) thanks :)

Forget the fmic for 400whp. Id go with a precision stock location and a 3255 turbo. 485rwhp has been done with the above on an unopened engine except valve springs!

400 no p

Front mount not needed, You could get away with a Dutt-necked stocker, Alky inj, good tune and 20-22lbs of boost if you just have to spend your money get a good stretch stock location . Get alky first best bang for your buck bar none!

400 no problem

Front mount not needed, You could get away with a Dutt-necked stocker, Alky inj, good tune and 20-22lbs of boost if you just have to spend your money get a good stretch stock location . Get alky first best bang for your buck bar none!

thanks

for the suggestions. i will go with alky but I want 400whp without it (read: 16-17 lbs of boost with frnt mnt) . i am going to frnt mnt because I will need it in the future and I don't want to buy an intercooler twice. This is my daily driver now but in a year or two it will be in the garage or on the track for the most part. When I buy a new car this car WILL go 10's :biggrin: I'm a mechanic but new to turbos hence the questions. Thanks again

for the suggestions. i will go with alky but I want 400whp without it (read: 16-17 lbs of boost with frnt mnt) . i am going to frnt mnt because I will need it in the future and I don't want to buy an intercooler twice. This is my daily driver now but in a year or two it will be in the garage or on the track for the most part. When I buy a new car this car WILL go 10's :biggrin: I'm a mechanic but new to turbos hence the questions. Thanks again
Your going to need to rev it more to get 400rwhp at that boost level. Plan on running a larger cam and a slightly looser converter. Imo you should just run 22-23psi to get the 400rwhp. A fmic will net you nearly nothing at 16-17psi in your application.

I want 400 whp.......I don't get to the track that often so i am more worried about street manners. My engine has about 15,000 miles on the rebuild and all the normal upgrades ( dwn pipe, exhaust, fuel pump , injectors, chip, adjustable wastegate,) My converter stalls at 2,000 ish and I run 15-16 lbs of boost (93 octane). I have plans for a frnt mnt intercooler......before the new turbo. The factory turbo was rebuilt the same time as the engine so I'm in no hurry. I have laid down 280 hp 380 trq at the wheels with this combo. any thoughts on a new turbo are appreciated.

I wouldn't even ask but most posts on here have to do with qtr mile times and I don't race (often) thanks :)

It sounds to me like you would really appreciate 400-450 ft lbs of torque at teh wheels more that 400 rwhp. I say this only because after reading your post these things stuck out in my head.

I don't get to the track that often so i am more worried about street manners.

My converter stalls at 2,000 ish and I run 15-16 lbs of boost (93 octane)

As such I am guessing that you want something that has execellent manners, will plant you in the seat and win the ocasional stop light to stop light war. A big turbo will require more stall, larger injectors and the like. As such I believe that with the combo that you have you would be very happy with either a medium sized BB turbo no larger than a 60-62mm or something like a TE-44 wich would provide you with all of what you say you are looking for in your above post. The TE-44 won't make quite the power that the BB 60-62mm would on pump gas but it has a good history. Give Jack C. a call at 413-789-0531 and bend his ear for a minute. He will set you straight and not leave you feeling like you just left a prison orgy in which you were the sweet tart. :eek:

Jim C.

It sounds to me like you would really appreciate 400-450 ft lbs of torque at teh wheels more that 400 rwhp. I say this only because after reading your post these things stuck out in my head.

As such I am guessing that you want something that has execellent manners, will plant you in the seat and win the ocasional stop light to stop light war. A big turbo will require more stall, larger injectors and the like. As such I believe that with the combo that you have you would be very happy with either a medium sized BB turbo no larger than a 60-62mm or something like a TE-44 wich would provide you with all of what you say you are looking for in your above post. The TE-44 won't make quite the power that the BB 60-62mm would on pump gas but it has a good history. Give Jack C. a call at 413-789-0531 and bend his ear for a minute. He will set you straight and not leave you feeling like you just left a prison orgy in which you were the sweet tart. :eek:

Jim C.

The best selection would be the GT3255. It will make more power than the 44 and spool just as fast. It will be hard to get the rwhp he wants at 16-17 psi unless he revs it pretty high.

The best selection would be the GT3255. It will make more power than the 44 and spool just as fast. It will be hard to get the rwhp he wants at 16-17 psi unless he revs it pretty high.

That is the reason I mentioned the RWTQ vs. RWHP but I understand what you are saying. In a daily driven street car RWHP is a secondary factor when I put together a combo, the TQ is what most really want once they understand the difference. RWHP sounds great for bragging but as you stated it would have to be reved more at his desired boost level, hence the turbo selection and tuning for torque. Plus it feels great to the old butt dyno. :D What is the deal with the GT3255? How fast have they gotten them down to as of late? I read pretty good things about em.

Jim C.

That is the reason I mentioned the RWTQ vs. RWHP but I understand what you are saying. In a daily driven street car RWHP is a secondary factor when I put together a combo, the TQ is what most really want once they understand the difference. RWHP sounds great for bragging but as you stated it would have to be reved more at his desired boost level, hence the turbo selection and tuning for torque. Plus it feels great to the old butt dyno. :D What is the deal with the GT3255? How fast have they gotten them down to as of late? I read pretty good things about em.

Jim C.
Russ Merritt went 11.20's? at around 122mph? with it. He posted it somewhere. It spools really easy too. Otto's friend Kash put down nearly 500whp with an unopened engine with one. I think it was 485rwhp.

thanks

for the info guys. I know the difference between horsepower and torque very well. The car I traded for this limited was an 80 el-camino.......with a solid roller cammed (236 @ 50...550 lift)...world product headed.....(2.08/1.6 valves) (8 hours at the porting bench)......11:1 compression (made it run on pump gas) :) 409 small block...that I built :) I had the pleasure of working at sunbelt performance engines for about a year...they build pro-touring and le mans bmw mostly but I had access to all the cool machines (porting bench, flow bench and whatnot)

I cam is not out of the question....neither are heads for that matter...I'm still learning here but i love the table-flat torque curve that comes with boost but the old chebby lover in me likes to hear high rpm horsepower....I think I'll just build two cars that way I can have both.

I'll just go with one of the suggested turbo's for now....and alky

thanks again for the suggestions. I don't want much.....I just want to be faster than EVERYTHING ELSE.........

I just want to be faster than EVERYTHING ELSE.........

Don't we all!!! :D I hope you didn't take offense to my comment about people wanting torque over hp in a daily driver. It wasn't geared toward you. It was just a blanket statement. No matter which one you choose I wish you the best with your goal. Take care.

Jim C.