John Mason

Has anyone ever tried to race a 4.1 N/A q-jet Regal as a legal NHRA Super Stocker?
Rules would allow production head port and polish, original type q-jet, any cam and manifold and stock 9.7 comp.
Where would you find a header for this combo, and who would be qualified to give advice?
It seems interesting.:D

Back before the SFI/IC Turbo V6 took over, the non-turbo V6 was becoming quite popular for building up. I have come across some old articles which were about campaigning V6 Regals in Super Stock.

I listed them here:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/NApub.htm
I don't know if libraries carry issues this old, but they common (and cheap) at local swap meets and on ebay (not so cheap).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regal
"Regal Racer" Super Stock, February, 1983 (Ron Cosner's all-out drag car)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regal
"How to Build a SUPER STOCKER Part II" Hot Rod, August, 1984 (Stage II drag car)
WANTED - Part I of "How to Build a SUPER STOCKER" Hot Rod, June 1984

Regal
"Project MuscleCar" Scheinder Performace Series MuscleCars, Fall '85, Volume 3, Number 3 (Stock build up)
"Project Buick Regal" - Motor Job" Scheinder Performace Series MuscleCars, Volume 3, Number 5
WANTED - Continuation of "Project Buick Regal"

Yes, it's been done, but it ain't cheap...NHRA SS rules allow for engines using "over the counter" parts from GM. That said...a gentleman named **** Baker (no relation to myself) ran a 252" Stage 2 in Super Stock back in the '80's which ran deep into the 10's. If you want to be competitive, using production based stuff, I'd definitely try an N/A 4.1 Regal, but in Stock Eliminator, not SS.
GB