4.1 Stroker roller cam choice?

Sleeper

I'm working on building a 4.1 stroker and am trying to pick a roller cam for it.
I have read that because of the bigger cubes, a big cam in a 3.8 will be smaller in the 4.1. I'm looking at 272 cu in when done.
Kinda looking at FT 210/215, and Comps 212/212,
It was also suggested to me that I go with a larger grind (218/218) to kill a little of the extra bottom end torque that the 4.1 stroker will produce, and move the torque band up a bit. (To keep from frying the tires off every time I want to pull away from stop light)
Running a 2800 stall converter, and really don't want to step up in stall. Turbo is a PTE 44 for now...? Heads are Champion irons. Rest is in my sig.
Car is 95% street driven, light hybrid.
I know tuning can play a great role in this, but right now I'm just looking for some cam opinions, and other 4.1 owner cam choices.

Thanks

I would do the 218 at the least.
Since your car is light maybe do the 224.
I have run these in 3.8 with out problems.
A lot of people are scared of big sticks.
With your cubes you don't need to be.
However your supporting mods aren't up to the task of maximizing your true potential.

I would do the 218 at the least.
Since your car is light maybe do the 224.
I have run these in 3.8 with out problems.
A lot of people are scared of big sticks.
With your cubes you don't need to be.
However your supporting mods aren't up to the task of maximizing your true potential.

Thanks John
LOL I know. I will most likely be looking at larger injectors and turbo upgrade, but don't want to start throwing parts at it, until I sort out some of the build first.

Not doing a stroker, but going with the FT 215/220 in a 4.1. That stick should pull like the dickens in a stroker.

I'm working on building a 4.1 stroker and am trying to pick a roller cam for it.
I have read that because of the bigger cubes, a big cam in a 3.8 will be smaller in the 4.1. I'm looking at 272 cu in when done.
Kinda looking at FT 210/215, and Comps 212/212,
It was also suggested to me that I go with a larger grind (218/218) to kill a little of the extra bottom end torque that the 4.1 stroker will produce, and move the torque band up a bit. (To keep from frying the tires off every time I want to pull away from stop light)
Running a 2800 stall converter, and really don't want to step up in stall. Turbo is a PTE 44 for now...? Heads are Champion irons. Rest is in my sig.
Car is 95% street driven, light hybrid.
I know tuning can play a great role in this, but right now I'm just looking for some cam opinions, and other 4.1 owner cam choices.

Thanks

HELLO Paul How goes it?
IMO opinion you are looking at this from the wrong perspective.Select a cam that will give you the most usable torque and rpm range for your personal use.A 212-212 is the same cam in either engine just "more user friendly " with more cubes.So match the cam to your turbo and converter.
John likes more cam and I think he tried a lot of them and every time he went bigger he went faster but thats not the whole story.

When pulling away from a stop light in your car it ain't going to matter what cam is used, it will blow the tires off. MT's might help but it will still spin.

Lastly for now what I do know is that in a full weiht gn at 3575# Wo driver and 30 over 4.1 212 cam and S trim turbo will fry the tires at 50 mph when you gas on it.

I hope that made sense cause I'm not good at splainin things.

Ron

Hey Ron.
Okay. Finally getting back into it.

I get it. Quite clear Ron. Pretty good splainin ;)

I'm running the 218/218 and it seems well suited for my 4.1. Running a lot more turbo than you, but the torque is massive and pulls very hard on top. Has a nice little rumble too, but still very streetable.

With the 4.1 stroker I have, I used a 224-224 from Weber Racing. The new set up is still not in the car, but I can say that the 218-212 cam was a great cam with the stock stroke 4.1. It drove great, and made great power. I would run the same cam with a 3 bolt, or a 218-218 with a 4 bolt. Just my .02.

224/218 split cam, 112 lobe separation, local guy went 6.7 in the 1/8 on pump gas with no alky and only 19 psi. ;)

Contact Dan at DLS, tell him exactly what you are intending on doing with the car and he will hook you up with a nice grind.

cam

I'm running a 4.1 .040 over with GN1 heads, Champion ported intake 70mm tb, 120lbs inj. on e-85, 9/11 stall, t-net 70mm turbo , etc. The cam i chose was a comp cam 218 / 222 roller setup. This thing is a monster when it comes to making power. Drives like a normal car during the day but at night the fangs come out . :eek:

Keep them coming guys. The converter and turbo info in your sigs is very helpful as well.

Thanks Mike, I'll contact him.

That's all you need more torque on a 2500 lb car, with limited traction as is. I would not put anything smaller than a 224 cam in, so you can kill some bottom end to your advantage.