3rd friction in OD overrun clutch issue ??

CreepinDeth

For starters, I'm rebuilt up to the point where I put the overrun OD clutch together.

This is where I'm at. Trans is built up to the center support standing vertically in a stand.
I have the 4th gear piston loaded onto the Center support.
It's a shaved piston that Jakeshoe hooked me up with for the 3 friction setup.
I had a #10 selective washer under the input drum, changed it to a #8 just to see if it was the issue.

Test Fitting
When I put just the piston in, then I load up the steels , 3 frictions, and top plate, I clear the snap ring groove
for the OD clutches no problem. Then I pull it all back out down to the Center Support to start over.

So here's where I'm having an issue.
Starting from the Center Support. I install the shaved piston. I skip the spring install for now.
I install the washer, then the overdrive ring gear & it's torrington bearing.
Then I install the overrun clutch & the input shaft.
OverrunClutchspaceissues4800x600.jpg

I notice the Overrun clutch has a groove that's keeping a friction plate from falling all the way onto the 1st steel I have in on top of the piston.
It's a large enough space to literally fit another steel in there between the gap that's keeping the friction from touching the 1st steel.
This is where I'm having an issue. When I stack them all up, I'm way past the groove for the snap ring with the overrun clutch installed.
So obviously it's not dropping far enough down, but I twisted it all the way in and I can't imagine what's keeping it from dropping OTHER
then the input drum shaft being too high ??
OverrunClutchspaceissues7800x600.jpg

I thought my input drum was possibly not sitting down far enough, so I
changed the selective washer and checked my spacing, but I'm fine there.

You can see the groove on the overrun clutch in this pic much better. It's like a dimple that sticks out.
OverrunClutchspaceissues800x600.jpg

Billet input drum? Did you shorten the bottom of the input shaft?

Are you still stacking the frictions and steels like the factory setup with the cut down apply piston?

Its steel friction steel friction and so one with the 3 clutch 4th cutdown apply ring vs the stock friction steel steel friction. If you do the steel steel and add the extra friction it will be too high.

Are you still stacking the frictions and steels like the factory setup with the cut down apply piston?

Negative.

Factory = PISTON , steel, friction, steel, steel, friction, top plate & Snap ring.
300hp+ = PISTON , Steel, Friction, Steel, Friction, Steel, Friction, Top Plate & Snap ring. < This is what i'm doing.

I'm laying them in there like the 2nd option for increased friction apply with 3 frictions.
However, I'm going past the snap ring groove with the overrun clutch housing in place.
Trying to figure out why......I took everything out down to the sun gear and started over.
Same problem.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking me.

The input shaft that attaches to the overrun clutch ? I don't see how that would help......never heard or read that either.

Is that what you're asking about ??

This...

If you installed a billet forward drum the input shaft will not go all the way in and will need a little taken off where it slides into the forward input shaft bushing.

Interesting......

Do you guys know about how much ??
I didn't see this information in CK"s manual.

Is this where it's shaved ?? Or are you saying the billet input drum TOP END has to be shaved ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Measure the depth in the forward drum. Depending on the vendor they can be different.

Okay, dumb question.....

How much depth removed...., and what suggestions to get it done ??
I'm thinking it's just a guide , so it shouldn't be a crucial measurement, but I could be mistaken.

Not quite sure I can take a grinder wheel to it.

Ideal to use a lathe but cutoff wheel will work with some refinishing of the surfaces to make sure they are smooth before putting back into the forward bushing.

.200-250 comes to mind but I would measure the depth of your forward drum to make sure.

I cut off about .250 with my dremel cut off wheel and then used a wetstone to sand down the edge,
and 400 grit emery to fine tune the surface.

Installed it all back together this AM after getting home from work, and it's mint. :cool:
1st clutch sits right on the 1st steel now with the overrun clutch in place. Now I can put all 3 frictions in.

Thanks guys.