305ci vs the ricers

japearl

Confused Teenager
alot of my friends think that their ricers are faster than my car. i mean, my car hasnt moved, so they have a point as of now. but, i think i would destroy them. i have a 87 camaro Z28 engine, and a few mods to it (no tpi, carb, breather plate [if you really care and want to know, check out my website at the bottom] and some other things), and i just wonder what you guys personally though. here are their cars:

1991 integra
2000 maxima SE
1997 contour svt
2000 v6 mustang

probably wont get any responses, but why not post when your bored out of your butt? cant wait to show them a real car :D

I don't believe youll kill the maxima or the contour. the other 2 should be no problem though.

go to thirdgen.com, makes me laugh how many posts on their street racing section pertain to loosing to "rice" a stock or mild 305 will get stomped on by almost any new car. sell it and put more money into the gn.

Originally posted by matt87
go to thirdgen.com, makes me laugh how many posts on their street racing section pertain to loosing to "rice" a stock or mild 305 will get stomped on by almost any new car. sell it and put more money into the gn.

He's got the 305 in the GN clone, I know it's not real clear. :)

didnt even read that far....ok sell(or use as boat anchor) the 305 and get ANY other engine you can, maybe even a lc2!

Throw some nitrous on there and spank them all. There was a guy down here at the track with a 305 z28 running high 13s on motor without a whole lot of mods. You can get them to run ok, but I wouldn't drop a lot of money into it.

I had a 305 motor in a 77z28 and it ran ok. It would spank on the z28s and monte ss's all day long back in the 80's, but the mustang gt's would slap me around. This was before the ricer craze.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I had a 305 motor in a 77z28 and it ran ok. It would spank on the z28s and monte ss's all day long back in the 80's, but the mustang gt's would slap me around. This was before the ricer craze.

HMM, I also had a 77 Z28, it was a 350? :confused:

too bad im just a 17 year old punk with a 7 dollar a hour job. ;) when you figure speed to money spent, i think i win. i only spend 1000 total. oh well. thanks for the feedback. so no point to putting any amount of cash into the 305?

another dumb question: how much labor would it take to lift and rop a new engine? like on a scale of 1 to 10, is it worth it? the gain in speed, and spending all that cash for a new engine?

Brian,
It had a 350 4bolt in it with some nice torque, but I blew it up. I went with a 327 from a 66 impalla and blew it up too. Last motor I put in it was a 305 with the 350 heads/intake ported and polished. The thing would sing all the way to 6500 rpm and moved pretty good, just didn't have much torque. This was all back in 87-89. I had about 40k miles on that motor when I retired the car. It was my first car, and I still have it.

My 82 regal that I bought for roundie track racing has a
z-28 ho 305 motor in it. It moves out pretty good, but my daily driver with 3800 v-6 can keep pace with it pretty good.

the 305's are not real trail blazers, But it would be simpler to just drop in a 350 SBC.

I am planning building a SBC 350 for under $1k, I will drop the 350 in after the 305 dies
or
at least I hope dies before racing season ends.

I am currently putting 4:11's in so the 305 will stay in the rpm range for roundie racing. I also plan on driving this 82 regal as a street beater to toy with the rice kids.

As most ricers seem to shy away from GN's..
GEE I WONDER WHY? It is not like my stock GN is fast at 14.4

305's aren't too bad, you can make them pretty quick if you want. Mine runs pretty good. With the money you put into it you could build a decent 350 and be faster though. Although I like mine just because it pisses people off when I tell them it's a 305 and not a 350. LOL :D

I've got a question, why do you have a GSX emblem on the rear? I think it looks cool.. just wondering. Also having 225hp and 295ft. lbs of torque you should be able to beat most ricers... :D

Originally posted by japearl
another dumb question: how much labor would it take to lift and rop a new engine? like on a scale of 1 to 10, is it worth it? the gain in speed, and spending all that cash for a new engine?

I would scrap the 305 for a 350. Then I would open a Summit catalog, order a stroker crank and voila, you have a 383, and all for less than $1000 and some elbow grease. Throw in a cheapo $100 set of Hedman Hedders, and you have a 14sec ride instead of a 16-17 sec ride

contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with the right 305. The "right" 305 being of the TPI generation 87-92 model year. The earlier 86's and 85's are the WRONG 305.

A good 305 TPI engine will also need a manual tranny. Don't think of messing with too many cars if yours is mated to an auto. The nice thing about having a 305 is the fact that it will not as easily break a T-5 trans as a 350 would surely do.

My friend had an 89 IROC-Z Camaro with a stock 305 and T-5 trans, with stock gears. All he had done was exhaust and K&N filters and was able to squeeze high 13's out of it, and this was with A/C and all interior pieces in place.

350s are great, but they will make short work of a factory T-5.

Your typical, run-of-the-mill 383 built with "cheap" mail order parts will boast some impressive torque but will run out of steam above 5000 rpm and probably won't last more than a couple of seasons.

A 87-92 305 TPI engine is well-balanced from the factory. It is not a power house by any measure, but some simple bolt-ons will wake it up quite a bit. In fact, I would bank on the fact that a stock 305/M5 car will beat any stock 350/A4 car any day of the week and twice on sunday. The 305 is going to respond better to bolt-ons than the 350 because it doesn't require the airflow that the 350 does which is already restricted by just about everything on the stock TPI setup.

IN OTHER WORDS: it is going to be cheaper to get a 305/M5 car to go 13s in the 1/4 than a 350/A4 car of similar weight.

simple

Get a GOOD used 400 small block engine in running conditon.If your lucky you could find one for near nothing.Did'nt look at your location but up north here they are a dime a dozen.

Put it in your Regal,flip the air cleaner lid upside down, and go get em'.

Best part is they will not know it is'nt a 305 unless they know specifics on the SBC.I like the 383 idea but this guy is on a budget.Second choice would be a healthy 350.What gears are in the rear end?if they are still the stockers that could a problem.You could make the 305 better but your cost and labor would be more for less results.

hey i got another 305 sitting in my garage that im trying to sell, maybe you could take it and put it in the back seat or something and have 2 motors... :D

-neil

I'd like to have a go at that list of ricers in my Sweedish Meatball.
(Times to come as soon as local track opens up.)