3000 stall D5 vs 9X11 3000 stall Torque Converter

Windy6

What is the performance difference between these two in the quarter mile? Im trying to decide if i should buy the Orange Stripe for @ 300 or get the 9X11 3000 stall for over 600? If there isnt that much difference in performance than the choice is easy. Would love to here some real world results.

George T

The 9x11 is a way better built convertor and a little lighter :) if your only looking for 2800-3000 stall and don't want to spend $600 plus the orange stripe is the way to go :D

P.S i also happen to have a brand new 3000 stall orange stripe w/lock-up in the box $250 plus shipping if you decide on this convertor i'm selling the GN that i planned on putting it in ;)

Thanks Jim

I wish I had spent the extra $$$ up front. Bruce's 9x11 has a much higher torque multiplication factor than a restalled 12" ever will. My "orange stripe" is OK, but I can only imagine what a launch would be like with the correct converter! I will have one someday. :mad: In fact, Bruce recommended (only) a 2600-2800 for my combo and said it would flash to 3200 whereas my orange stripe foot-stalls around 2400 before the tires break loose, only managing to build 4# boost.

Bending the vanes enuf in a 12" converter to obtain a 3000 rpm stall creates a very inefficient converter. The smaller diameter 9/11 makes a much better converter....less slip at speed and more torque multiplication.

Does anyone know what the difference would be in the quarter mile with say a mid eleven second car?