3" Downpipe gains with mild combo...worth it?

richy rich

Richy Rich
Hey guys,thinking of switching over to a Kirbans 3" down pipe.I hear the Terry Huston is great,but also tough to find.
Mostly stock appl.49 Turbo,36lb inj,Dutty neck,fuel upgrades.
Just recorded a 11.94@112.1 with these mods.
Is it worth it?Is this a good piece?Will it spool faster?will it improve my life??lol.
And for what its worth=whats an open dump worth at the track with a combo like mine?[I ran mine corked up stock DP,test pipe through a Hooker cat back]

Have you tried advertising in the WTB section? you might get a thdp offer? It will go farther than the Kirban's. If you can afford it, there are venders like RJC, etc, selling the thdp style, new s/s as well.

move up to a good downpipe.. TA and RJC also make a nice piece. Had a lot of PITA leaks with the 2 piece Kirban pipe.

Solid 1 piece stainless pipe (less chance of leaks).

Terry Houston (used), RJC, etc.

I have a THDP on my car and it fits perfect and there has been no issues with it.

RJC stuff is always top notch.

Best one Ive seen is the TA pipe. I like my THDP but I like the TA better. It just drops right in and you're done. Price is decent too.

no one has answered the basic question- will his car run better/faster with a 3" down pipe?

Partial answer
3"down pipe, TH stainless, woke my TR up above 70mph, no other mod, I've done helped spool better
The slic stretch made the car still respond in 98* heat - it was overheating above 90* with oem inter cooler.
Alcohol Injection - if you keep boost down, you can even run corner gas, rather than Sunoco 260 or BP Ultimate.
These three mods helped more than any other mod for the butt dyno.
The Baer 12" brakes are a worthwhile investment - I can now lock the 235x60 15" fronts.
These four mods I highly recommend - other mods help, however, these 4 gave the biggest bang (I can't say for the buck - they are all expensive)
:cool:

no one has answered the basic question- will his car run better/faster with a 3" down pipe?

I say yes, yes it will.

IMO... it's not so much the larger diameter of the aftermarket pipe helping, as it is getting rid of the restrictive 90* elbow/bend the stocker has coming off the charger.

So I looked at a few Down Pipes on the market & I'm having a bit of sticker shock. What am I missing? Is the base material really that expensive?

I also see reference to a "Puck". What is this part & what does it do?

I'm trying to get a handle on improving the complete exhaust system from turbine discharge to tail-pipe.

Thanks
~JM~

So I looked at a few Down Pipes on the market & I'm having a bit of sticker shock. What am I missing? Is the base material really that expensive?

I also see reference to a "Puck". What is this part & what does it do?

I'm trying to get a handle on improving the complete exhaust system from turbine discharge to tail-pipe.

Thanks
~JM~

Stainless isn't cheap, the equipment to bend it properly isn't cheap, the amount of time in research and development isn't cheap.........that's why they are expensive.

The puck is what allows the excess boost pressure to bleed off into the exhaust. Once your engine makes a predetermined amount of boost, the "puck" opens and bleeds off the excess boost.

Get a used thdp and have it ceramic coated. I got one of the board already done for 200 shipped. Just gotta watch and look for the deals. With the stock converter my car will spool my 53 turbo. If you don't want to drop major money right now just take the elbow off and port it. It will help with spool so I'm sure it helps the restriction also

I have seen performance improve from a stock to Houston downpipe. I was suprised. Was a 100% stock car.

First off,thanks for all the great info!
Someone mentioned the turbo will spool faster,and to me that where its at!Well Hey more power overall is what Im looking for,but I love that low RPM pull[Im a Big Block Chev guy BTW-lol].Cant that Kirbans piece be weled up when installed,so theres no leaks?
Ill have a look at the forum,[any one have a TH pls chime in]I was just hoping not to drop the $400[roughly]on the RJC or TA.
Well now for my second question-open dump at the track-worth a tenth?Maybe more?If I can pick up 2 tenths with a bigger DP and open dump off my 11.94 thats a good start.Car left like a slug 1.74 60ft.Stock D5 converter roughly 3lb boost launch,couldnt hold it on the line,thing was creeping forward just as the tree came down.So if the exhaust mods help it turn on faster-theres some ET there as it was a mile away from wheelspin.

move up to a good downpipe.. TA and RJC also make a nice piece. Had a lot of PITA leaks with the 2 piece Kirban pipe.

Same here, but Kirban upgraded to a better flange. Ever since I put the new flange on, I haven't had any issues.

you will get better spool up and probably pick up a tenth or so at the track.

First off,thanks for all the great info!
Someone mentioned the turbo will spool faster,and to me that where its at!Well Hey more power overall is what Im looking for,but I love that low RPM pull[Im a Big Block Chev guy BTW-lol].Cant that Kirbans piece be weled up when installed,so theres no leaks?.......

The best downpipe ever produced is the one both G-Body Parts and RJC sell! :)

First of all it fits great.

Second, it is ALL stainless steel, the 3" pipe is a high quality grade and is polished. The flange, puck and associated parts are also stainless.

It is made completely in the USA which means no low grade stainless, off-shore material.

Maybe a tenth without opening the ex. Add a lot of fuel if you uncork it either way. I like seeing cars with stock appearing turbos and and stock dp's wih the stock shield and relatively stock appearing tearing up cars with much more. Id leave it alone personally.

The simple 2 word answer is "not noticeably" unless other changes are made