'28 Essex w/V-6 turbo

dmarx

Ok Folks , sorry I initally posted this as a reply. yeh i know, press key, think twice. sorry.

Finally found the camera. Here is the V-6 Turbo I bought for my '28 Essex super Six. So pray tell, what the hell do I have here and have I bitten off more than I can chew.

I will need to off-set the engine 1.5 inches for the crossover to fit within the frame. Is that a problem?

One of the pix shows the back of the intake, where do I find the grommet that is used on the vaccumn (?) tube from the turbo? and what else connect there?

I have the ESC that connects to the distributor.

The carb needs to rebuilt, but I don't need all the vaccumn line on it. So a relacement is a holley spreadbore or just rebuild what i have a block off the vaccumn ports.?

hey, any in put is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to previous replies from dr frankenstein and charlef1.

Dan Marx
dlmarx@bellsouth.net
803-425-8649

Attachments

• P1000560_edited.jpg
    P1000560_edited.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 145
  • P1000561_edited.jpg
    P1000561_edited.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 145
  • P1000564_edited.jpg
    P1000564_edited.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 152
  • P1000568_edited.jpg
    P1000568_edited.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 180
  • P1000572_edited.jpg
    P1000572_edited.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 155
Nice Hudson/essex! The Turbo buick looks good in there. This is going to be nice.
Oil drainback: You can get that grommet at any parts store they should have it and even if they have trouble there is always grommets there that you can size up. There are also longer oil drainback pipes that are flex steel type in the middle. I think that short one is from a 301.

The Quadrajet is still the best carb for this setup. You can get it rebuilt and delete some of the vacuum lines for sure.

Looks good Dan. Adam is right on the drain back tube and grommet. You should be able to get it at just about any parts store if you take the ID and OD to make sure it's the right one. As far as the carb info, I need to do an update on my carb thread but I've been lacking motivation lately. Sinus infection and work have gotten in the way. I'll see what I can do next week for you.

that is bitchen cool....

almost kinda strange not seeing the typical small block there.

I cant wait to see this thing go!

A.j.

One of the pix shows the back of the intake, where do I find the grommet that is used on the vaccumn (?) tube from the turbo? and what else connect there?

Some early motor used a grommet that looks like a cup or funnel. The end of the drain tube sat in the cup. The tube never actaully went into the manifold. It looks like you have this shorter tube.

They lengthened the tube, made it flexible and then used a grommet similar to the PCV grommet. You'll probaly have better luck finding a longer tube and grommet, than finding the old style cup/funnel. (The cup/funnel design wasn't any good anyway - the cup would split.)

This might help a little:
Turbo Oil drain grommet... - TurboBuicks.com

Found this in another thread:

1978/79 used a rigid drain that rested into the "hose" fitting you are referring to. In 1980/83, Buick went to a flexible drain line that fit into a traditional grommet (like a PCV grommet, but bigger). If you can't locate the hose, you might be able to find the flex drain line and grommet at a turbo shop. It's an improved design that should work better (easier installation).

Here the GM part numbers:
1978/79 Drain line (connector) - 1260602
1978/79 Drain hose - 1260599
1980/83 Drain line - 25504159
1980/83 Drain grommet - 25504235

I have a non-engine related question:

What's with the straps holding the roof posts together?

I have a non-engine related question:

What's with the straps holding the roof posts together?

Im going to take a shot in the dark, and say its for support.

Alot of the early 20s, 30s, and some late 40s car bodys were wood framed.

once the wood rots away, you have a flimsy soda can body.

A.j.

The top was rotted wood, fortunately the doors are steel. So one bright day after I had removed the rotted wood, the doors were hangin' out the a few inches. So, yep, the straps hold it together since I wasn't smart enough to add cross steel supports!!! Got make an engine stand to get the engine running.
Dan

...One of the pix shows the back of the intake, where do I find the grommet that is used on the vaccumn (?) tube from the turbo?

I had that problem due to a mis-match. That intake and the tube doesn't match. And even if you get the right grommet it still won't work. Yep getting the right tube, (the flex tube), is difficult. That is the only way to properly repair this. I was not successful finding one.

I welded an additional tube to the turbo oil drain tube and even that did'nt work. (It will be off-centered and will eventually split the grommet). What eventually worked very well was I removed the grommet, inserted a 3/4 good-year heater hose onto the tube with a clamp. The hose gets inserted into the intake and the heater hose will expand onto the intake after usage. It woks better than the grommet and it seals itself.