265 vs 255?

Cale22

Doh!
Would there be a noticeable difference between a 265/50/16 tire and a 255/50/16? Im deciding which to get for my new wheels (rear), thanks!

Cale, did you get my email? As far as I know, 265 50 16s only are available from BF Goodrich in a TA radial. BG TA radials have absolutely no bite at all. If you want to burn all the way thru first and second gears, get them. I had 295 50 16 BFGs and they worked just as good. :rolleyes:

By the way, click on the link below to check 255s. Somewhere on the site my car is pictured with the 295s.

I run 265/50/16's on my GNX wheels...they are the largest you will be able to fit on a stock TR in the back without spacers...traction all depends on how much horsepower you are putting to the pavement...if it's nearly stock then those tires will be fine...if you have a combo like me, there's not a radial size in the world that would be able to hook!:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but, BFG radial TAs have to be the worst possible traction tire you can buy. They are the lowest speed rating but cost just as much or more than the tires I recommended to you which are W rated (168mph) . Don't waste your money.

Thanks for the e-mail John. Does BFG or falken make 'any' good 255/50/16 street tires? Im asking b/c the shop im ordering the wheels through do a wheel/tire package, but they don't carry Sumitomos. If BFG or Falken don't make tires as good as the Sumitomos, then i'll just order them from tirerack.

I had goodyear 255/50/16 vr on the rear and they lasted 8 years. Actually, before i put the bfg drag radials on, they had at least 1/4" tread left.

My 60's with that tire and 0 boost at the line was a best of 1.88...but the more hp I added, the higher that number climbed (ended up with 2+ 60s).

If your already running BF...go with the drag radial in the rear for traction. NO, it will not last years, but you'll launch on the strip (and street).

jmtc

car is never driven in the rain
looking at ET Streets of ET street radials(if i can find them)

I was going to get a couple at one time. 255 50 16 About $100 each with good speed rating. Check with the people supplying them. I think you can see them at www.tires.com

The big difference between the 265/50 and the 255/50 is availability. Check Tire Rack, for example. There are 18 choices in the 255 size, and only one, the BFG TA, in the 265 size. The BFG "G Force" radials are much better than than the regular TAs, but they are not available in the sizes you are considering, or in ANY decent 16" size. (Well, maybe for front tires..)

I use the 255 50 16's on GNX style wheels. The best street tire I found was from Pep Boys. The Futura radials are cheap and I pulled a 1.84 60' with them! The BFG's suck, I couldn't get below a 2.1 60' with lots of practice, that is why I was amazed with the Futura's.

I think the new Mickey Thompson drag radials that just came out have the size you re looking for and i hear they really hook. You can get them from jegs or summits.