.22LR Handguns

S&W makes a cheaper version 22 called the 22a!

picked one up for my son this week ...sw22a ..cheap little pig ..kids love it !.. so did my wallet $239.00..2 clips & a cable lock..cant beat the price for something thats gonna be shot to death ..

I'll second this one.. I got my Daughter the 22A for her 11th B-Day.. .she loves it. Works flawless and easy to shoot.

I paid more for mine though... around $280... oh well, worth it for a training pistol.

WD40 would be the last thing I would use on a firearm.

Breakfree CLP or some other gun lube but not WD40..

I have several old 22 revolvers (cheapo) over the years but 3 0r 4 yrs. ago I bought the P22 Walther. again for fun. You can get it with both barrels 4 and 6.to interchange.
It is not a tack driver and you wont be spelling your name with it but I can dot an eye with it..:D It is a super fun plinker and has been very reliable as far as swallowing about anything a shove in it.
and the main reason I have it was to us it to train my wife for the bigger semis I have laying around.
This way she had to deal with a clip and racking and a safety all while acquiring a target and no fear of it jumping out of her hand. Started her out with earplugs and muffs then just plugs then nothing,,, Now she can grab any of the big boy calibers and do her thing pretty flawlessly....... and after all of that I still have nothing but revolvers as her go to guns. But it is a hoot to shoot.

Thats why I want to get a .22 for this reason. Its a cheap way to practice form and grip. And also, as stated in original post, I have alot of friends, girls are the majority that want to learn how to shoot. And I figured why not a .22. Plus It would be a great starter gun for my 10 yr old brother.

JM , looking into them Security Six's
thanks again

Colt man myself. I have 2 Colt 1991 A1 and the new .22 pistol looks just as badass. It holds 15 rounds and if you choose to get one get the UMAREX one. I have an HK MP5 lr.22 that is made by them. Both COLT and HK licensed UMAREX to build the guns. I like the rifles because they are so cheap to shoot you have to reload less often. The MP5 has 25 round banana mags.

I just bought a new Ruger Mk 111, 22-45. It comes in 3 different models. I got the Target pistol just for plinking and shooting at the club. I got it with the red dot scope and after dialing it in yesterday. Shooting 1.75" groups all day long. I've put over 300 rds through it already and had maybe 2 or 3 misfires with it. Could be that I was using some older ammo I had laying around. Overall I love it so far. Going to the club tonight to do some target shooting. I paid $320 + 39 for the red dot scope. Only problem is a holster for it. With the scope it is quite big. Not that I am going to carry it or anything but when I go to check my targets, I don't like leaving it at the shooting station or just shoving it in my pocket. I found a old style Uncle Bob's holster made for a big revolver with a scope that works pretty good for now.

...Im driving myself up the wall trying to find qaulity for the lowest price, which isn't smart. Im not worried on reliability with the .22 ....

Its somewhat difficult to build a reliable feeding 22 autoloader due to the rimmed shell. The rims hit each other when lined up in a magazine & they want to curve. Plus 22LR ammo is known to be somewhat dirty/waxy. My first handgun was a cheap Jennings J22. It was very ammo specific & had to have bullets with a rounded profile to feed. The truncated cone type of bullets would hang up during the transition from the loading ramp & the chamber inlet. Usually the gun would foul after about 2 boxes of ammo & need a good cleaning to operate again. It was definately not a piece that could be relied upon & it was shortly replaced with a S&W J-Frame revolver.

Its not a bad idea to spend a good amount on a 22LR. It will most likely be the one you shoot & share the most. The revolver is generally more reliable than the autoloader due to the reasons explained above. Plus the revolver is the easier of the 2 to teach a new shooter with. Its real nice to have both a centerfire & a 22rimfire weapon that closely match so you can practice with the 22 & then switch to its big brother. Sometimes you can find a kit that will convert a centerfire autoloader to a 22LR. This is a great idea, unfortunately it doesn't always work. The quality & reliability of these kits vary quite a bit.

~JM~

Hey Dream4GN,

I just noticed that BERSA is located in Wanamassa, NJ 07712
Is that anywhere near you? It would be cool to visit the factory.

~JM~

Hey Dream4GN,

I just noticed that BERSA is located in Wanamassa, NJ 07712
Is that anywhere near you? It would be cool to visit the factory.

~JM~
I never even heard of wanamassa, it must be up north

Whelp I bit the bullet and bought a gun( no pun intended) I picked up a Ruger 22/45 Mark III. Thing felt so good in my hands, I got the target model. For 299.99 I could not beat it. I was going to go the .357 revolver route but Im new to the handgun seen and I really think Ill benefit from the .22. I need to get my mechanics down. It also will be great to plink 500 rounds and not worry about a 200 dollar ammo bill. Plus it will be a great break in gun for my 11yr old brother. Hes scared of the shotguns we have. Also As i said before I have some friends of mine that would like to learn and shoot guns. What better way then a .22. Soon as Im eligable to purchase another gun, Which is in 30 buisness days( shitty ass NJ) I will be picking up my M&P9c.

Congratulations! Finally after all that wait & jumping through hoops. Good choice on a first firearm purchase. Have you shot it yet?

Be careful when teaching new shooters how to shoot an autoloader. You want to make sure they don't Hollywood the gun & hold it like on TV with the weak hand thumb curled over the top of the wrist waiting to get smacked by the slide. Think of a cup & saucer. The strong hand grips the gun like a cup & you rest it on top of weak hand like a saucer. You also need to be careful teaching well endowed women with a low cut top. Guaranteed that a hot brass will land in that lovely cleavage & cause the young lass to dance about, often swinging the chambered weapon all over the place.

~JM~

Congratulations! Finally after all that wait & jumping through hoops. Good choice on a first firearm purchase. Have you shot it yet?

Be careful when teaching new shooters how to shoot an autoloader. You want to make sure they don't Hollywood the gun & hold it like on TV with the weak hand thumb curled over the top of the wrist waiting to get smacked by the slide. Think of a cup & saucer. The strong hand grips the gun like a cup & you rest it on top of weak hand like a saucer. You also need to be careful teaching well endowed women with a low cut top. Guaranteed that a hot brass will land in that lovely cleavage & cause the young lass to dance about, often swinging the chambered weapon all over the place.

~JM~
Thanks JM, I was looking at the revolvers and I wanted to get one, but they had only Taurus's. And I just wasnt confident enough in them to buy one. They had one GP100 .357, but it was a small frame. Way to small for my big hands. I will have one in due time tho, I plan on about 2 handguns per year . I have not yet shot it, but I will next week. The dealer I bought it at has an indoor range and You get a free range day with each purchase. So thats pretty cool. I wanted to take it home and clean it up, bc it was oiled up pretty good. Also wanted to get the ol lady to go with me and shoot it( she has shot .40's and 9's) and both work on our technique. The place was packed I dont think they had any open lanes. And I will be proper with teaching the newbies how to handle the gun from the knowledge I do have about it. I won't let anyone hotdog my firearm.They dont wanna do it right, they wont shoot at all. As for the hott brass, hell its happened to me, after bouncing off the wall , it went right on the inside of my collard shirt and burnt my neck. But I will take it in consideration as always. They can show me the cleavage afterwords :p

I'm always right there to assist the young lass in brass retrieval, if you know what I mean.

Glad to see that you bought a solid performer with a proven background. I believe there is a lot of after-market support for those guns. This is the type of gun that you can hand down to a son if that ever happens for you.

When looking at D/A revolvers I always take it for granted that I will be changing the grip. There are very few OEM grips out there that fit well. It really helps with getting a solid & consistant shooting grip.

Looking forward to hearing about your first outing.

~JM~

Ok my dad has got me questioning myself( Like usual) about the ammo to buy for the 22/45 ,being that it is rimfire, not centerfire do I still purchase regulare .22LR ammo? Or Do I have to get a specific kind?

Ok my dad has got me questioning myself( Like usual) about the ammo to buy for the 22/45 ,being that it is rimfire, not centerfire do I still purchase regulare .22LR ammo? Or Do I have to get a specific kind?
Why are you questioning yourself? Any 22 Long Rifle cartridge should work. Try some Federal bulk pack for plinking. CCI makes very good 22LR ammo. Check out the CCI Stingers & Mini-Mags. CCI has slightly lengthened the standard 22 shell to hold a bit more powder. There are more brands of 22 ammo than you can imagine. If you start trying to shoot tiny groups, try some Federal Premium with the dimple on the cartridge face, or some Green Tag. There are also many fine brands of imported ammo that is very accurate. Sub-sonics are fun to play with, but usually out of a rifle barrel, sometimes they won't cycle your action.

Usually the first few shots may fly a bit off until the barrel is seasoned with the ammos lube, etc. Once it settles down, then you try for groups. If you change ammo, it will most likely have some flyers until the barrel is seasoned/fouled to that ammo. A real handy tool to have is a Bore-Snake. http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html A couple of passes with your Bore-Snake & your barrel will be ready to try a new ammo.

Good luck
~JM~

Why are you questioning yourself? Any 22 Long Rifle cartridge should work. Try some Federal bulk pack for plinking. CCI makes very good 22LR ammo. Check out the CCI Stingers & Mini-Mags. CCI has slightly lengthened the standard 22 shell to hold a bit more powder. There are more brands of 22 ammo than you can imagine. If you start trying to shoot tiny groups, try some Federal Premium with the dimple on the cartridge face, or some Green Tag. There are also many fine brands of imported ammo that is very accurate. Sub-sonics are fun to play with, but usually out of a rifle barrel, sometimes they won't cycle your action.

Usually the first few shots may fly a bit off until the barrel is seasoned with the ammos lube, etc. Once it settles down, then you try for groups. If you change ammo, it will most likely have some flyers until the barrel is seasoned/fouled to that ammo. A real handy tool to have is a Bore-Snake. http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html A couple of passes with your Bore-Snake & your barrel will be ready to try a new ammo.

Good luck
~JM~
I know what the gun needs to take. But when I told my dad it was a rimfire gun, he was like , well does it need a certain kind of ammo. And before going to the range and getting thr wrong ammo, I figured i would just clarify what i already know. The range Im going to have bricks of CCI for 9bucks. Which I dont think is to bad. Ill be going to send some lead down range this week sometime... Ill keep ya informed JM, Thanks again

I got a great surprise yesterday! They shop got in 1 SR22... They boyz were nice enough to hold it for me:D