.22LR Handguns

Dreamn4GN

Im looking at picking up a .22LR handgun. Im picking up a 9mm and would like to get a nice .22 handgun. Just bc very cheap to shoot and everyone can shoot it. Alot of my friends want to get into shooting. Why not get a .22. I was looking at Ruger SR22 or a Taurus 94 9rd revolver. Anyone got any recommendations or opinions on the two??
TIA

Get a conversion for the Beretta 92 9mm and then you've got something that doesn't have to be put on the books.

The new S&W MP22 is AWESOME! I have been following a report on AR15 where a guy has been torturing one and it is still going.... I LOVE MINE! The walther p22 is nice, the sig misquito is nice... S&W makes a cheaper version 22 called the 22a!

There are some nice revolvers out there too. If you want the best IMO, the S&W 617 is the nicest made... I am waiting to get the new Taurus 922 which comes with switchable clyinders between 22lr and 22mag! Ruger also makes one like that too!

S&W revolver is obviously what I would love to get,But I cant justify spending 500 plus for a .22. The Tuarus 94 is the closest I caan find to the S&W, its an all steel frame , I was looking at the M&P 22, but I been getting prices close to 400 bucks.I really like the Ruger SR22,and its only 299.00. Im driving myself up the wall trying to find qaulity for the lowest price, which isn't smart. Im not worried on reliability with the .22 bc itll be strictly a range gun. But you never know when I might goto Louisiana and kill some gators:eek:

S&W revolver is obviously what I would love to get,But I cant justify spending 500 plus for a .22. The Tuarus 94 is the closest I caan find to the S&W, its an all steel frame , I was looking at the M&P 22, but I been getting prices close to 400 bucks.I really like the Ruger SR22,and its only 299.00. Im driving myself up the wall trying to find qaulity for the lowest price, which isn't smart. Im not worried on reliability with the .22 bc itll be strictly a range gun. But you never know when I might goto Louisiana and kill some gators:eek:

Yeah, I couldn't help you much on the price on the S&W. Look on gunbroker everyday at the no reserve auctions. I usually pick up one or two guns a week for the shop BELOW our cost... My first S&W M&P22 I won on GB and with shipping it was still LESS than my cost through distributors:D I could probably do it for like $375 shipped but with normal ffl fee still at $400 so...

If you like the Ruger I am sure it is a good gun... I am not a big Ruger fan but I know they make good stuff....

Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II or Mark III, there is a ton of accessories for both and both are tack drivers. I have a Ruger mark II & my wife has a Buckmark.:D

Ruger SP-101 makes a nice 22LR.

~JM~
Do you own one JM? I saw some bad reviews on Bud's and saw some good ones as well. A friend of mine has the Ruger SR22 and said he loves it. Only problem he had was FTF, but that usually is the ammo's fault. he shot about 1000 rds of all types of ammo. Its going to come down to the best deal I can come across.

S&W makes a cheaper version 22 called the 22a!

picked one up for my son this week ...sw22a ..cheap little pig ..kids love it !.. so did my wallet $239.00..2 clips & a cable lock..cant beat the price for something thats gonna be shot to death ..

Some complained of the cyl seizing up, as well as the hammer. But im curious if thats lack of cleaning and maintenance.

Hmm... You'd have to get one real dirty to make it not function. I have one of the first generation SP-101 22's. Mine is a 6-shot. I believe the new ones may be an 8-shot? That would be a bigger cylinder & maybe they are prone to fouling. This is the first I've ever heard of functioning problems.

22LR ammo can be dirty/waxy & will cause one of my old autoloaders (weak springs) to fail to feed after a few boxes.

~JM~

The Ruger SR22 I wa looking at cannot be found anywhere without waiting 2-6 months.I feel if Im going to be paying over 400-450 bucks for a .22, I mine as well just get a bigger caliber gun. I might just end up getting a .357 revolver so I can shoot .38 when I want to sned some lead down range. Luckily I got time to think this over bc I cannot by a 2nd handgun ,30 days after buying the 1st handgun

Your price range isn't that high for a handgun. What do the original Ruger 22LR autoloaders (Mark III ?) go for? I'd buy one of those over that plastic model. They are pretty much a proven Classic & were the start of Ruger.

Of course you can't go wrong with a 4" medium frame 357. Try to locate a Ruger Security Six on the used market.

Just buy something dammit & start shooting! LOL.

~JM~

Get on gunbroker and look for the ruger or a smith. I promise you will love that smith!

Here are a couple of reviews that I found real quick.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_security_six.htm
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/ruger-security-six/

The reason I keep bringing up this model is that it represents a great value if you can find one. The action responds well to some simple action work & a spring kit. It may not have the trigger feel of a Colt or S&W but they aren't priced the same either. The Ruger is hell for stout though & won't let you down.
Hell if I had a spare one I'd consider selling you the spare, but the one I do have is a keeper.

~JM~

I have an older S/W 2206 in stainless and 6" barrel. I can write my name with it love to shoot it

Ok I'm just being funny here. Well no, I'm telling the truth....

I've got this old Jennings that I'm pretty sure I have Never thoroughly cleaned! I've run at least a thousand rounds through it with nothing more than an occasional hose down with WD-40 a quickie bore brush.

I'm sure you're looking for something more than a micro-pos, but hey, they've still gotta be dirt cheap sittin in some flea market glass case today! The kids love the stupid thing. Especially my 5yo. It fits him and he can aim and squeeze instead of struggling with it!;) He's actually holding groups at 20ft.:D

I have several old 22 revolvers (cheapo) over the years but 3 0r 4 yrs. ago I bought the P22 Walther. again for fun. You can get it with both barrels 4 and 6.to interchange.
It is not a tack driver and you wont be spelling your name with it but I can dot an eye with it..:D It is a super fun plinker and has been very reliable as far as swallowing about anything a shove in it.
and the main reason I have it was to us it to train my wife for the bigger semis I have laying around.
This way she had to deal with a clip and racking and a safety all while acquiring a target and no fear of it jumping out of her hand. Started her out with earplugs and muffs then just plugs then nothing,,, Now she can grab any of the big boy calibers and do her thing pretty flawlessly....... and after all of that I still have nothing but revolvers as her go to guns. But it is a hoot to shoot.