2017 THS RULES DISCUSION

The only person I know of that has proven that a SD-2 chip can be tune to run fast is Walt Judy which he runs TSM- He also builds his own engine and has a lot of secrets to the process- its not just the SD-2 chip that makes his car fast. To my knowledge as far as the THS class- no one has come close to running 9 second passes with any stock ECM/chip in the past three years. The fastest I ran with a stock ECM/Mass air chip was 10;21 @ 132 in THS full trim @3675 including my weight in 2015 @ BG. Plus its highly unlikely that a novelist tuner guy can tune and SD-2 chip to compete with any of Cal Hartline cars that running a Fast in the THS class. Plus anyone who is running an SD-2 chip will not have track side years of experience and support to tune the car as a Cal Hartline THS car would. That's my case my friend- rebuttal if you like.

Haulz A
Just wanted to see ur thought for everyone to read... you make a valid argument.

It's not the ECM'S fault that the end user don't know how to tune it.....

So your saying a improperly tuned aftermarket ecm is faster than a drop in chip and mass air meter....

Nope...

Why give breaks to someone who don't understand how to tune their setup....

They shouldn't be racing it if that's their issue with not being apart of the class....

At the end of the day it comes down to X inj pulse widths at a certain rpm to get to X Afr that makes the engine happy....

Hmmm

Might just have to breakout the stock ecm and powerlogger SD2 chip......

The only person I know of that has proven that a SD-2 chip can be tune to run fast is Walt Judy which he runs TSM- He also builds his own engine and has a lot of secrets to the process- its not just the SD-2 chip that makes his car fast. To my knowledge as far as the THS class- no one has come close to running 9 second passes with any stock ECM/chip in the past three years. The fastest I ran with a stock ECM/Mass air chip was 10;21 @ 132 in THS full trim @3675 including my weight in 2015 @ BG. Plus its highly unlikely that a novelist tuner guy can tune and SD-2 chip to compete with any of Cal Hartline cars that running a Fast in the THS class. Plus anyone who is running an SD-2 chip will not have track side years of experience and support to tune the car as a Cal Hartline THS car would. That's my case my friend- rebuttal if you like.

Haulz A
Do you run a stock ECM in your car??

So..... Can I put my fogger nozzle in or nah?
Stock stroke, iron heads, 6262 turbo Stock ECM with a 5.7 chip, on a 16" drag radial and the heaviest car in the class. I need some cheap quick hp to keep up with those lighter and stronger than me lol!

Im one of the guys that give the people on the fence hope about joining in on the fun!

Do you run a stock ECM in your car??
Clint,
I switched over to a FAST this year- three weeks before BG. It rained the race out before Cal Hartline got a chance to really get after it. Its like a night and day difference between the mass air chip and the FAST- as far as how fast and accurate the car can be tuned to find the engines potential power. That would have never happen with a chip- the process is to slow and the risk of blowing your engine up at high boost. The data logging is much more accurate/reliable as well.

Haulz A

When is the vote on the rules to take place?? Several proposals however you need to get to it soon so everyone can prepare for 2017 if there are several changes

When is the vote on the rules to take place?? Several proposals however you need to get to it soon so everyone can prepare for 2017 if there are several changes

Clint, as I stated earlier in this thread we are going to wait til after the rules for the new TTS class are posted and now it looks like it may be a good thing to see what happens with TSM. People should feel free to discuss away at this time but voting after these two classes are done is our best interest.

What about simpler rules, 109 block, E turbo 67mm max, 3 bolt stock location, stock appearing complete HVAC system, any trans, any rear, similar 4 wheels, 3500#'s.

Just say the wheels shouldn't have to match if you have an issue with space. Some drive to BG, others tow. I can see your point but dont be shy about it.

Vague rules lead to problems. A production 109 block, 400 trans, and a 9inch. Well just put A/C and a 6768 on a TSM car.....

I vote D Day and Sean Hayes have to race each other 1st round too.

( I vote D Day and Sean Hayes have to race each other 1st round too.)​
That is a good one. One thing to think about, the fastest car doesn't always win , I know this from both sides of the coin. Right SLOGN.
DDay

Just say the wheels shouldn't have to match if you have an issue with space. Some drive to BG, others tow. I can see your point but dont be shy about it.

I meant my rear Vectors technically don't match my stock front 87 T wheels. I've got a low 9sec capable TSM motor now, but still the 45a is on the car, because it is a street car and I can't see spending 2500 on a new turbo just yet.

No index classes. As discussed in other classes there are (I think) 5 index classes already, enough for anyone that wants to race it. Waiting to see how TTS turns out and go from there.

I don't have an issue with wheels not matching. As long as the tire size is within the rules.
I don't have an issue with of any of the current rules.

I just want to keep TSM (I love those cars too) cars out and where they belong... In XTSM!

Jas, I believe the THS turbo rule will keep that from happening. As far as any other..we'll see what's discussed and go from there. I don't think we should go backwards. Keeping the fiberglass parts that are allowed, any GM transmission, ect, no one has really used them to their "advantage" so what's it hurting.

As stated in another section. Its hard to take out things once they are allowed.

If the 350/400/4LxE transmissions are in, expect for them to stay. If you have one of those in.... stock compressor turbo housing and a garrett turbine housing! Take that TSM combination and restrict it.

I still would like to see nitrous let in with a weight penalty or something. It can make the slower cars more competitive yet no benefit to the top of the list guys. This brings the head up class closer together making for tougher competition.

Its clear the turbos are not the limiting factor for most of us. No change there.

As for weight penalty break on ECU choices Walt Judy and Gabby Rojas have ruined the stock ECM bargaining chip as well.(Hats off to those guys).

No assistance from Cal Hartline allowed!
John Plogi can not enter or help you either!
Sean Hayes must use Goodyear Aquatreads!
David Day's horn and wipers do not work!
There... we're safe now guys!
Lets vote!

Any updates? Looks like TTS is the new THS and THS is the new TSM. I remember back when some said TSM wouldn't break into the 9's.

Maybe we should open up THS some more...I'm sure once the discussion opens up a lot will be talked about.