2015 Grand National & GNX

A few more thoughts on the topic. First concerning the reissue of the GTO in 2004. My background I am familar with this and when it came out etc....originally it was not geared or marketed to the GTO owner of old. They later admitted that was a mistake. By not making incorporating certain features to reflect on GTOS in the past with one oversight not making the exhaust exit out both sides and no scoops on the hood.

Another complaint was the car looked to much like a Chrysler Sebring....the Sebring if you know anything about Chryslers is way way down on the value chart. Enough about the GTO. Today they are a good bang for the buck if you buy 05-06 they did do some weird colors for interiors/exteriors...also since it was Asutralian based I think if I recall the radio knobs are reversed. The car lacked distinction....What really screw up those 04-06 GTOS is the stupid states that require front license plates! NJ & ILL quickly comes to mind!

As for whatever Buick has up its sleeve...it would be nice if Buick offered both coupe and a sedan heck they used to do both reason I say that is if they do just a sedan years later its highly unlikely the sedan will increase in value. I can't think of any sedan muscle car that bumps up in value years later....its the coupes and convertibles.. Look at the 94-96 Impala SSs hot for a few years but don't bring much today. The newer SS Chevy sedans hardly raise any awareness either.

If Buick is going to roll the dice be nice if they offer both and cut the weight and size down....The new Caddy CTS coupe it is way too big in the back end.

Again these are just my opinions....one thing for sure is quality will be a lot better than the first go around for the Grand National and GNX....ashame Molly is no longer with us to do his magic......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

IMO to reuse a nameplate the car has to resemble the original to some extent. I think the lack of styling on the GTO killed it more than the fact it was a 2 door. There was no camaro at the time. Look at Camaro's now. I don't know what the #'s are, but I see them everywhere. Mustangs too! The purpose of a GN should not be a peppy 4 door sedan to sell hundreds of thousands of, but rather a flagship car to get the blood pumping back into the brand. They can take engineering queues from that car and place it into 4 door sedans. You know, the whole "the new regal sedan, with the DNA of the Grand National" approach. Hell, call the sedan a T type. They should stick with the turbo 6 motto, and use this as a flagship model to 1 up the Ecoboost. Build a badass RWD twin turbo DI 6 with a 6 speed behind it. BTW I LOVE my Ecoboost Flex. I sold a Trailblazer SS for it and pretty much don't look back. Anyway, that's my .02

I'm getting a 2013 Ford Taurus with a turbo, I hope the GN has a turbo for the love of Pete. The Taurus is a work car by the way.

Would the mustang sell more units if it was a four door?

Since when were the Regal and Mustang aiming for the same market segment?

Since never. GM's offering to counter the Mustang is called a Camaro. THAT is GM's two-door, four-seat pony car. They learned a hard lesson in the '80s and '90s about cannibalizing their own brands' sales. Whatever GM does for a new Grand National has to ride on a platform that slots in somewhere between the Verano and the Cadillac CTS or ATS.

Since when were the Regal and Mustang aiming for the same market segment?

Since never. GM's offering to counter the Mustang is called a Camaro. THAT is GM's two-door, four-seat pony car. They learned a hard lesson in the '80s and '90s about cannibalizing their own brands' sales. Whatever GM does for a new Grand National has to ride on a platform that slots in somewhere between the Verano and the Cadillac CTS or ATS.

I'm not saying for a second that the new Gn would go up against the mustang,I simply asked a ?. You implying a vehicle with 2 doors don't work these days. The next camaro will be on the new 2 door chassis so why can't the Gn ? I think if it had its own look and demeanor it could get a market share for just being different. It wasnt a100 years ago when GM offered a coupe from all there divisions but Cadillac . Now they have one besides the vette. It's doesn't need to be for the mid life crisis or elderly.

I'm not saying for a second that the new Gn would go up against the mustang,I simply asked a ?. You implying a vehicle with 2 doors don't work these days. The next camaro will be on the new 2 door chassis so why can't the Gn ? I think if it had its own look and demeanor it could get a market share for just being different. It wasnt a100 years ago when GM offered a coupe from all there divisions but Cadillac . Now they have one besides the vette. It's doesn't need to be for the mid life crisis or elderly.

Mid-life crisis and elderly people are the only ones that can afford a new car these days. Statistically, nobody else has the scratch. Whatever they build is going to be aimed squarely at affluent professionals in the upper-30s to early 60s. Those people might have a Mustang or a Camaro for a toy, but not to take their customers and associates to lunch. Adults don't like crawling into a back seat, and Buick as a brand isn't geared towards creating toys. They got burned badly on the Reatta, and GM has a long memory. The division doesn't have the kind of independence that allowed the first Grand National to happen anymore.

GM doesn't operate on "could." They do solid market research now, and I can guarantee that a two-door sedan for Buick won't make it through.

Turbo6inKY said:
Mid-life crisis and elderly people are the only ones that can afford a new car these days. Statistically, nobody else has the scratch. Whatever they build is going to be aimed squarely at affluent professionals in the upper-30s to early 60s. Those people might have a Mustang or a Camaro for a toy, but not to take their customers and associates to lunch. Adults don't like crawling into a back seat, and Buick as a brand isn't geared towards creating toys. They got burned badly on the Reatta, and GM has a long memory. The division doesn't have the kind of independence that allowed the first Grand National to happen anymore.

GM doesn't operate on "could." They do solid market research now, and I can guarantee that a two-door sedan for Buick won't make it through.

Then just like I have for the last decade or two, I'll just keep my Regal. They can keep turning out whatever their market research tells them, I'll keep my money.

So going to toss a question out there! Not that an LS series engine is a bad engine, but am I the only person who would be very disapointed to see a a LS motor in a GN, let alone a non turbo engine? I could only imagine all the talking the Camaro/Corvette boys will be doing if an LS motor goes in a GN.

It just seems that it would be very much out of character for what the GN is all about!

XLR8ONU said:
So going to toss a question out there! Not that an LS series engine is a bad engine, but am I the only person who would be very disapointed to see a a LS motor in a GN, let alone a non turbo engine? I could only imagine all the talking the Camaro/Corvette boys will be doing if an LS motor goes in a GN.

It just seems that it would be very much out of character for what the GN is all about!

I have to ask, what do you think GM would power it with? 3.8L and 3800 have long been retired.

I have to ask, what do you think GM would power it with? 3.8L and 3800 have long been retired.

I would think the above would be an option, or be innovative and creative and not just put an LS motor in it like everything else GM has out there. All im saying is it is nice to be different!!

I've got a 2011 SHO as a daily right now. The thing is fun as hell to drive! :D

Good to hear, I picked it over the V8 Charger because it's awd, twin turbo, big brakes, cooling system, 20" wheels and suspension upgrade. It's supposed to take 4-8 weeks to come in from the plant.

Good to hear, I picked it over the V8 Charger because it's awd, twin turbo, big brakes, cooling system, 20" wheels and suspension upgrade. It's supposed to take 4-8 weeks to come in from the plant.

I daily a 300C rwd but it's the same platform as the Charger and I like the rwd feel. The SHO still drives like a FWD car it just doesn't spin from too much torque, which is nice. The AWD Chargers and 300s I've driven still feel like RWD cars, but they work very well in the snow. The ride height is raised though so they look a little funny to me compared to a rwd version. The latest redo did away with some of the ride height difference, but it's still present. SHO's are nice though. Seen a stock one, with paper air filter and everything, run 13.8@102.

You give GM way too much credit. They've done plenty of stupid things over and over again. And I would def buy a two door GN with a twin turbo 3.6L DI V6 eating bologna every day if I had too.

I daily a 300C rwd but it's the same platform as the Charger and I like the rwd feel. The SHO still drives like a FWD car it just doesn't spin from too much torque, which is nice. The AWD Chargers and 300s I've driven still feel like RWD cars, but they work very well in the snow. The ride height is raised though so they look a little funny to me compared to a rwd version. The latest redo did away with some of the ride height difference, but it's still present. SHO's are nice though. Seen a stock one, with paper air filter and everything, run 13.8@102.

Yea, and I'm kind of wondering how the do with a little tuning. I will exclusively be driving this car for probably 2 years until I pick up something else and pass this one down.