2004r trans

mcponch

MENBER SINCE 2OOI
hello everyone, i have a ? i know its been a few years............but. dynotech would get you in the tens/low tens for minumim money. as conpared to the other trans people? or am i wrong. and if im not whats up? i know the guys on this site for the most part sell overkill trannies. that is racing. you all seemed happy with brian hoffers stuff. i bet it was not super trick. no sh-t talking here i just know him a little bit. so im i off base here? (and if you never looked in side these trains no need to reply) because i think the price IS OUT OF THE FING BALL PARK. FRANK.:eek:

hello everyone, i have a ? i know its been a few years............but. dynotech would get you in the tens/low tens for minumim money. as conpared to the other trans people? or am i wrong. and if im not whats up? i know the guys on this site for the most part sell overkill trannies. that is racing. you all seemed happy with brian hoffers stuff. i bet it was not super trick. no sh-t talking here i just know him a little bit. so im i off base here? (and if you never looked in side these trains no need to reply) because i think the price IS OUT OF THE FING BALL PARK. FRANK.:eek:

Not real sure what you are asking. Could you restate your question please.

Going by what I think you might be asking, yes trans work is expensive and so are parts. Unless you are able to build your own you get to pay what someone is asking for their work. Just the fact that you posted, I am thinking you might be in the market for a rebuild. If so, there are plenty of choices.

I know what I pay for the parts that make these transmissions last. I know what what time is worth. I know I have to warranty the trans. I doubt any of the builders/vendors on here are working for free. I sure don't.

Hi Frank,
Been doing transmissions for years and Not sure where you are coming from but the pricing is close to the same across the board give or take $100.

I think the price is fair from the transmission vendors here. I had a trans done by a local shop, paid their bill. Trans failed, towed it back to the shop, paid tow bill, shop fixes it again, charges a lesser amount, the trans fails again, I tow it home, pay that tow bill and then have to buy or fix trans.....

I don't dick around anymore I just buy a stage three and be done. Less headache than being stranded somewhere with a failed transmission.

Dude if you are asking about a rebuild, as many people said the are a plethora of trans builders to chose from. Maybe there is no super trick, but having an experienced builder and paying for a build that has a warrant and warrant the parts, is the best way to go and you will have to pay. To me this worth it, I'd rather have a reliable trans than have to worry about every time I drive the car that the trans will crap out on me. FWIW if you are interested in a build and given your proximity, give Bruce Alred a call at Aggressive Performance is Roseville, just do a Google Search. He used to work for Brian Hofer. He has had his 2004r rebuilt 12 years ago and in 2002, he beat Red Armstrong at the GS Nationals to win the TSE class, I believe.
Just one other thing, this comes from Bruce himself. He has seen people's 2004r take a dump in 12s cars and he has ran his rebuilt 2004r in the high 9's. There seems to be a lot of variability in the amount of power these trans can handle, but always better to err on the side of caution.

Dude if you are asking about a rebuild, as many people said the are a plethora of trans builders to chose from. Maybe there is no super trick, but having an experienced builder and paying for a build that has a warrant and warrant the parts, is the best way to go and you will have to pay. To me this worth it, I'd rather have a reliable trans than have to worry about every time I drive the car that the trans will crap out on me. FWIW if you are interested in a build and given your proximity, give Bruce Alred a call at Aggressive Performance is Roseville, just do a Google Search. He used to work for Brian Hofer. He has had his 2004r rebuilt 12 years ago and in 2002, he beat Red Armstrong at the GS Nationals to win the TSE class, I believe.
Just one other thing, this comes from Bruce himself. He has seen people's 2004r take a dump in 12s cars and he has ran his rebuilt 2004r in the high 9's. There seems to be a lot of variability in the amount of power these trans can handle, but always better to err on the side of caution.

gentelman,was just asking a ? it seemed (and i know price;s have gone way up) a few trans builders had very good trannys for a very good price. all i want to know am i wrong in this or wrong. this is what i am asking have trannys gone up 40+percent. frank.

they didnt go up 40% , eric had no parts other than a clutch kit , band, hardened stator and forward drum

if you're comparing erics hipro to a full billet stage 3.... you're comparing apples to watermelons

eric was as i recall .. $1,295 for his street (12s and slower ) ...1,495 for the hipro street/strip (faster than 12.0) which included the billet sonax servo and full shift kit.. add the billet drum and you were 1800+
and that was 4 years ago
i know many of the hipros made it to the tens , mine built 2003 lasted through years of heavy track use in mid 11s hammering 1.50 60s and locking every pass and had quick firm shift drops but wouldnt hold much more power without some flare so i had it refreshed last fall
by erics own words , in low 10s he would expect to need to do a refresh after 30 or so passes . and he wasnt big on using the billet drum or using trans brakes

today cars are making much more power and the number of 10 second cars has grown (10 seconds with 9s power)
todays transmissions consider a billet forward drum as std for any build followed with the input shaft and the Od drum
there are some who will build a billet drum trans around 2K , optioned up with all the billet parts available it would run around 3200 then add a brake ..but all those parts are worthless without a builder who knows what needs to be done to keep the trans alive

pacecarta just about covered it.i had a hi-pro (1495) no billet parts went 11.1 for years fully locked up.have a full billet 200 now with a nonlocker, much more money but the hipro and the rpe motor didn't get along to well.

today cars are making much more power and the number of 10 second cars has grown (10 seconds with 9s power)
todays transmissions consider a billet forward drum as std for any build followed with the input shaft and the Od drum
there are some who will build a billet drum trans around 2K , optioned up with all the billet parts available it would run around 3200 then add a brake ..but all those parts are worthless without a builder who knows what needs to be done to keep the trans alive

yes a lot faster cars out there now !!! We ran low 10s with no billet parts :cool: Raced the hell out of that tranny !! Also a lot of street poundings. So why would ya need all the billet crap and spend a lot of $$$ ??:confused:

Because sooner or later it WILL break and as your sitting on the side of the road with cars flying by ya waiting for AAA you have a lot of time to "THINK" !! :D

yes a lot faster cars out there now !!! We ran low 10s with no billet parts :cool: Raced the hell out of that tranny !! Also a lot of street poundings. So why would ya need all the billet crap and spend a lot of $$$ ??:confused:

Because sooner or later it WILL break and as your sitting on the side of the road with cars flying by ya waiting for AAA you have a lot of time to "THINK" !! :D

HAHA!!! Yep, been ther , done that! 4 lanes of Heavy Chicago traffic (3 hours from home), in the GN with my wife 9 months pregnant waiting for other fellow TurboBuick brothers that were kind enough to hunt down a trailor and come get us! This is on one of good ol' Brian Hoffers, or whoever built his transmissions, junk that lasted for about two months!

Went with Bruce (PTS) and Lonnie (EA) ever since and havent looked back! I've used 6 of Lonnie's transmissions now on different builds and have not had a single problem.

For the OP, if you look at the cost of building a 200r4 from a known builder, they arent very expensive compared to the local tranny shops rebuilds. Local member to me had a BQ trans built at a local shop 4 times, with I believe $1700 invested into it. He sold that trans and now has a Stage 2 from Lonnie in his Hot Air and a jimmy's Trans in his 87!

FWIW if you are interested in a build and given your proximity, give Bruce Alred a call at Aggressive Performance is Roseville, just do a Google Search. He used to work for Brian Hofer. He has had his 2004r rebuilt 12 years ago and in 2002, he beat Red Armstrong at the GS Nationals to win the TSE class, I believe.

Your information may be a little incorrrect. Bruce worked for Mike Licht(spelling) at Modern Musclecar for many years. When Mike closed his business Bruce took over and opened Agressive in the same location. Back in the 80's and 90's I rebuilt many units for Modern, and Bruces was one of them. He told me he ran it for 9 years without ever touching it....and finally snapped a stock input shaft. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

So, who has the best rebuild price for a 2004r that can hold up to some low 10's - high 9's? What are the cons and pros of a 1st gear transbrake? I don't plan on racing the car much, it's just going to be a fun street car.

So, who has the best rebuild price for a 2004r that can hold up to some low 10's - high 9's? What are the cons and pros of a 1st gear transbrake? I don't plan on racing the car much, it's just going to be a fun street car.

Get ahold of Lonnie (Extreme Automatics) and you will be happy. Depending on your location, Jimmy's Transmissions in Mundeline, IL is a great choice as well. These two guys will take care of you and care for their customers.

Get ahold of Lonnie (Extreme Automatics) and you will be happy. Depending on your location, Jimmy's Transmissions in Mundeline, IL is a great choice as well. These two guys will take care of you and care for their customers.

I'm in Detroit, MI

Ive had great experiences with extreme automatics bought two transmissions with trans brakes, awesome products. Great price too. Lonnie all the way!!!