2004r has zero 3rd gear

Gene Van Horn

Was taking my gn for ride to get more miles on engine,has about 1,000 on it, all pretty easy,most boost 10 to12. Got off interstate and got right back on, stopped,had car in overdrive,brought it upto 4 pounds and took off,15-16 pounds now,car shifted into second then into 3rd,still wot,went maybe 100 yards in 3rd,all sudden like I was in neutral, let off car shifted into overdrive so I pulled over, waited a few seconds and left manually shifting, good first,second, no third, will shift from second to fourth if I womp it, any thought greatly appreciated. Thx. Gene

Does it have reverse?
Sounds like you broke it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Could be the clutches/steels in the direct, or maybe the seal on the piston that applies the direct.
How old is your trans? Has it been worked on recently?

Could be the clutches/steels in the direct, or maybe the seal on the piston that applies the direct.
How old is your trans? Has it been worked on recently?

I've had the car for 12 years the only thing ever done to the tranny was a fluid change,by machine 3 weeks ago. I did probably double the hp with this last build though.

I'm thinking that you are in for some new clutches. That new fluid has a lot of detergents in it and probably "cleaned" a lot of stuff inside your trans. Clutches work on friction and "cleaning" what was left of the clutch material on the directs probably left them with too little to hold. This is speculation, but I do think you got 12 years which is pretty good.