2004r Giant Leak $3000.00

So what caused this what was the cure? Just wanting to learn :)

Hummm. Thats a very good question. I have many theory's none of which I can prove 100%. Its RPM related. Tim has provided very good information and has nailed that down. We spent most of the afternoon and evening making a fixture for the VB tester. After blocking the Max PR ball and spring and other places for leaks we applied pressure to the cavity and it did not leak a drop into the vent cavity until we exceeded 325psi and was leaking pretty good at 350. (trans should never exceed 275psi hot.) The amazing part is you can see the pump expand from the pressure. Unless the trans pressure is exceeding that 325psi mark above 5000 I see no way it can come from the pump internally and the Max regulator should pop off long before that. The other observation is the vent openings are much larger than the vent tube and should easily handle fluid return inside the pump. 3 ounces on one full throttle opening is substantial. My #1 theory is the trans pressure is exceeding the max pressure spring limit above 5000. The relief hole is at the top of the rear of the pump. That hole lines up with flat surface of the OD shield that prevents splash from the OD into the vent circuit. When that spring pressure is exceeded it sprays a large volume of fluid against the flat part of the shield and it happens to line up perfect with the case vent circuit hole. Would be very easy for fluid deflected off shield to enter the vent circuit and would be under pressure. So either the Max relief spring pressure is a little light or The pump volume is exceeding the pumps ability to decrease and the pressure is exceeding the 325 mark or above max PR relief. GM set that Max regulator hi enough so you would never open it. They were only running 200psi or less. I personally run pressure real close to the pop off. Maybe the spring is just a little weak. Never the less it wont fix itself.

Lonnie Diers.....taking care of this expensive problem at no cost for this guy.....MAN! WHAT A CLASS ACT!

I wish there were more guys in this world like you, Lonnie. You are a true and caring gentleman.

I hope Santa brings you a Corvette Z06 for Christmas this year. You deserve one.

When my trans goes south, you are the first person I'm shipping it to. No kidding.

Bruce '87 Grand National

+1 on Lonnie taking care of his customers and standing behind his products..One thing ppl have to take into consideration is that he does stay busy so it might take a while before he gets to your issue. By the way, Lonnie check your email :D

I've got a brand new 2004r, $3000.00.

First it come on an open pallet with NO caps or covers on the cooler lines,
dipstick and TV cable! All kinds of crap from the treck across country on the back of a truck can get in there.
3 grand and not a piece of tape or a 2 cent cap
to keep debris out. WTF

still curious about that

I could only hope for a vendor to step up to the plate to take care of a tranny issue like that.

Lonnie, I will be ordering a stage III from you next week. Can't wait to get this thing back on the road.

Bryan

Hummm. Thats a very good question. I have many theory's none of which I can prove 100%. Its RPM related. Tim has provided very good information and has nailed that down. We spent most of the afternoon and evening making a fixture for the VB tester. After blocking the Max PR ball and spring and other places for leaks we applied pressure to the cavity and it did not leak a drop into the vent cavity until we exceeded 325psi and was leaking pretty good at 350. (trans should never exceed 275psi hot.) The amazing part is you can see the pump expand from the pressure. Unless the trans pressure is exceeding that 325psi mark above 5000 I see no way it can come from the pump internally and the Max regulator should pop off long before that. The other observation is the vent openings are much larger than the vent tube and should easily handle fluid return inside the pump. 3 ounces on one full throttle opening is substantial. My #1 theory is the trans pressure is exceeding the max pressure spring limit above 5000. The relief hole is at the top of the rear of the pump. That hole lines up with flat surface of the OD shield that prevents splash from the OD into the vent circuit. When that spring pressure is exceeded it sprays a large volume of fluid against the flat part of the shield and it happens to line up perfect with the case vent circuit hole. Would be very easy for fluid deflected off shield to enter the vent circuit and would be under pressure. So either the Max relief spring pressure is a little light or The pump volume is exceeding the pumps ability to decrease and the pressure is exceeding the 325 mark or above max PR relief. GM set that Max regulator hi enough so you would never open it. They were only running 200psi or less. I personally run pressure real close to the pop off. Maybe the spring is just a little weak. Never the less it wont fix itself.

Ummm, what was the problem? Does it require dropping the trans? Coincidentally I seem to have EXACTLY the same issue!!!!

I'd sure like to know how to fix this. Just want to make sure it requires pulling the pump or??? so that I only drop trans if necessary...

THANKS

D.

Ummm, what was the problem? Does it require dropping the trans? Coincidentally I seem to have EXACTLY the same issue!!!!

I'd sure like to know how to fix this. Just want to make sure it requires pulling the pump or??? so that I only drop trans if necessary...

THANKS

D.

Have not tried the fix yet. Still theory. Should know the answer in a few days.