2004r Band selection question

SBNova

I have a 2004r that started slipping in second gear after some passes at the strip. It now has a very poor 1-2 shift, and second will slip easily when too much throttle is applied. For some background, I built my 2004r myself with the TCI kit, including the kevlar band. It has approx 14k trouble free miles. I take it to the strip for about 5-15 passes per year. Its a non-GN trans., and it has the TCI shift kit. Its behind a 355 Chevy in a 3300lb car, daily driven, and it has a 10" TCI lock up converter with a 9" rear with 3.73 gears. It has roughly 400hp as guessed by my 112mph trap speed.

I have been reading on GN sites about the alto wide band, and using the 300m(?) HD anchor/pin. Most people seme to prefer this band- some with the HD pin- some say no HD pin.

Now I just found a site (transmissioncenter.net.....) and they state this;
#22XX. 200-4R Raybestos Pro Series Band. This is a high performance band made with High Energy Black Kevlar material. This is the band we use in the 200-4Reptoid transmission. (We recommend this band over the above #22X band because the wide band is made from metal that is too hard making it brittle. On high performance transmissions the apply pin has a tendency to crack the metal and bust through it.) The premium Pro Series band is constructed of Kevlar fibers along with solids and resins that enhance band performance. Pro-Series bands are the perfect upgrade for heavy duty, towing and high performance rebuilds. Cost $28.00.

Can I please get some opinions on what everyone who has experience with these parts thinks??? Thanks to all who reply with opinions.

Just a little more info;

The rebuild is four years old. I rebuilt it to spec's found in the ATCG manual, along with some tips I found on a GN website at the time. ALL clearances/endplays were in spec- which amazed my local performance tranny shop ( iguess they just R&R even the HP builds:( ). Thanks again for any advice.

not knockin TCI

But I also had the TCI kit in mine 2nd kept getting softer. 3rd was never soft but the steels were all hot spotted(blue plates). I'm defintely no garu ,but I'm going to try the Red Alto band & Alto Red plates this time around.

Jim

Check

If trans is still in car check for excessive servo travel. Might be able to shim behind servo pin and stop the slippage. The last wide Alto I got had a support piece in the anchor lug.

Thanks for the replies- I will check the servo travel if I can get to it. Thats a good idea before i take it out/apart.

Please keep the opinions coming.