2 step msd dis4

I tried it and trying to hold more than 3,000 rpm at launch (with the MSD) wouldn't work well at all.....popping and surging...at least with my combo, boost builds so fast after 3000 rpm, the turbo surges badly...I normally like to launch at 4000 rpm off the t-brake

your results may vary.....

I use a MSD two step along with the 7AL2 box. The low side pill is 4800 RPM (22# boost)-5200 RPM (26# boost). This is tied into the transbrake button. The high side is 8200 RPM.
The biggest adjustment was to have confidence that the low side would work when you mashed the pedal. I always had some doubt and wanted to monitor the tach/boost gage to make sure the motor would not fly apart. Kind of lost track of the tree. After a few successful launches, it becomes second nature.

JS

I have been using the dis-4 box for a few years and have had no problems. Make sure it is grounded good though. I have launched with it at 3000 to 4500 with know surgeing with a te 70 turbo.

Walt,

Do you have the stadard or race version?
Have you had problems with burning up coil packs?

Thanks in advance

Walt,

How did you ground your DIS-4? I have been having problems with mine (like no start, engine die) so I sent it back to MSD and they declared it good......either has to be the ground or cable at this point?

I am using a firewall ground at the present time.....

ive ran both the standard and race versions and have had no problems. you do not have to use the adapter plate but it makes it a cleaner and easier setup. ive never burned up a coil pack but i dont drive on the street with it. as for the 2 step i love that feature. it help you launched more consistenly. i ran 8.04@174 with a 1.20 sixty foot and the car weighed 3300lbs. definetly makesure you have good grounds.

Ground it

To answer StagedGN questions you do NOT have to use the under coil adapter it just makes things easier but is not required. It will also allow you to easily plug in the by-pass plug for street duty which will keep from killing your coil pack.

When using the DIS 4 boxes a good ground is critical. If you are using one of the newer race boxes it is even more so. We have found that it will act as it the rev limiter is coming on at higher RPM. The solution we found is to run a number 4 wire from the battery to the block. I repeat do not rely on the frame as a ground it is not adequate in high HP/RPM aplications. If you are having problems ground the block to the battery and box to either the block or battery.

Hope this helps.

Hey Walt how are you brother?

EDIT: Ray and I must have been typing at the same time I'm either just slower or typed to much. Ray hows the new car coming really sorry to see the old car go?

I run the race version in my car. First thing I did was cut off that puny power and ground wire and upgraded it to 12ga. I have the 2 step at 3500 with no funny stuff. I have moved it up to 4500 for testing purposes and it works fine there too.

DIS install?

I am a "ground nut" also. ALL electronics, including the gauges, go directly to ground on the engine. The engine is grounded in at least 3 places other than the neg cable.
I ran 12 ga. wires directly to the battery..+ and -. I also added a strap from the box mount bolt to the engine.
I have just about finished the install. I have a 12vdc supply to the t-brake button, thru it to the t-brake sol. I have the other side of the sol grounded to the trans. Added to the brake side of the button,[12v when the brake is activated], is a wire to a relay next to the DIS box. This relay takes the 2 step wire,[lite blu] to engine ground when the trans brake is activated. I did this to keep volt surge fom the t-brake sol off the 2 step.
Some have said the system needs a solid state relay...we'll see what happens.
BTW, the box is a HO version. The adapter is a real easy way to hook this up. Well worth the bucks, IMO.
NOW! when I get my FAST back, we'll see what this animal will do!! Gotta break some parts soon.. getting withdrawal pains!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

?? think it's wise to add a fuse to this system, being it goes directly to the batt???

I am running the h. o. box also. I have also replaced the coil pack and module with new gm parts. What i did was hook the ground from the box to the front driver side bolt of the coil pack pedistal. Then i got a 1" wide ground strap from auto zone and bolted one end to the back of the driver side head. And mounted the other to the single rear bolt of the pedistal. Before with the ground on the firewall there were high rpm miss problems. All is good now though. I also cleaned all the paint off the pedistal at those two points.

Chuck, I fused my MSD box upon install....I think it's a good idea. Cheep insurance...