2-3 shift hunt

TurboBuRick

Staff member
This is a problem that plagues allot of the 200 4r users. At light throttle angles, it will shift in and out of third.

It was suggested to shim the tv spring with a 1/8 thick washer. That did seem to help a little but did not get rid of the problem entirely.

Now lately it's getting worse again. Almost feels like the trans is stuck in both 2nd and 3rd. Has anyone come up with a rock solid fix for this??

TIA

Rick

two fixes I have heard of but not tried (yet) are swapping to a KC valve body, or installing a MTV up spring.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You mean a ck v body? I already have one.

Tell me more about the spring?

Tia

Rick

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Verify the 2-3rd shift valve spring is the correct one.

The KCF valve body on mine alledgedly came from an '88 caddy. I'm with Bison on this one, verify the 2-3 shift valve spring fits on the valve snugly, not the larger, loose spring.

If it is the loose one, is there a source for the more snug one?
TIA

Rich

thats sorta cryptic.... Which 2-3 spring is the "correct" one, some kits do not include then (as far as I remember), is the wrong one
just one that doesn't fit properly, or is there a spring that makes a difference with respect to the 2-3 busyshifting issue?

with respect to Lonnie's suggestion of the MTV up spring, if it lowers the part throttle shift points, can we address that with governor or shift valve/spring changes? How much does it lower the shift points, and what about using a very light spring in that position?

Bob

This may be out there a bit, but has anyone looked into the feed orificing from drive 4 oil that creates governor oil as a possible fix for this?
I'm sure the gurus are all aware of how its orificed (blank space in the valve body gasket allowing a controlled leak into the next cavity as well as a very small orifice in the plate right next to it) but has anyone tried varying this orifice to change this?

At minimum throttle the governor exhaust would keep it at 0 psi, and it would still hit max governor psi after the 3-4 shift, but a small change in that orificing could be a big deal in the middle...possibly preventing a dip in governor pressure as the valve moves?

Hell the new plate I'm holding doesn't even have the drilled hole, and theres many factors affecting how much oil could leak into that circuit when using the gasket as an orifice.

thinking out loud