1st time @ track, lots of knock:(

cabech984

Hey guys,

Ive been anxiously waiting to make a few passes doen the 1320. Tonight I did. My setup is in my sig. I am happy that this project is showing results!! Well anyways, I averaged in the mid 13's all night w/ a best of:

60' 2.1932
330 5.7331
1/8 et 8.5931
1/8mph 86.22
1/4 et 13.1771
1/4mph 106.87

My 60' is crappy but am not building any boost off the footbrake and will only stall to 24-2500rpm. I am running the TT 93 Street Chip w/ zero adjustments. It is definatly running on the good side(740+ O2's) but During this best run, I saw 15.9 degrees of knock retard and it stayed steady toward the big end. I was running 16 lbs of boost.

The bL is usually around 140 @ wot, air temp was around 120 @ air filter(is this alot?)I didnt catch every reading on the scanmaster, I was too scared to blow or mess anything up.

On the way home, I did a little 1/4 throttle pull in 3rd gear, 16lbs of boost and 3.3 degrees of KR.

Long story short, is there anything I can do to get rid of the knock retard? I do have a worn passenger side engine mount, and a 3" downpipe that is around 1/4" away from the framerail. Thanks for looking!!!

Chris

EDIT: btw, this is running on Shell 93 V-power.

Did you here the engine pinging?

Over the years, I have learned not to put too much trust into the stock o2 sensor. If you have extra funds, a lc1 w/ a gauge helps alot. We were going through this with my buddy's Ford Turbo Coupe. The stock sensor said it was on the money, the LC1 said it was at 10.3:1:eek:

No pinging, just a little number on the scanmaster. Steve Hughes asked if it was just the downpipe, and looked at my crooked engine:redface: It feels fine, just scares me b/c I dont wanna break it!

I do want a wideband. I also am thinking of getting a more efficient stock location intercooler. I let out of the gas on almost every run b/c I was afraid something bad would happen.

You could try to make your own from Ebay stuff.

I'll go back to my buddy's TC again:smile: He fabbed up a nice FMIC for about $300 including the ic, pipping and couplings.

I may look into it, These Firebirds have the best front end for breathing too!!(sarcasm)

All I do know is that beating the crap out of this car makes me want to sell my LS1 Firebird:eek:

try some 100 octane , if the knock goes away its real

if it still knocks try a torque strap to limit the engines movement

Come out to Tristate this saturday, you'll get the chance to make more passes than at Kilkare and have several of the Buick followers there as well. Hughes might be there as well as Kevin and I. Later Deren BTW if you need to try some high octane ive got about 30 glalons of 110, you are more than welcome to try some if needed.

Like Deren said, you usually get all the runs you want at TriState. I will probally be there testing out some suspension pieces I just installed;)

silentbutdeadly,

I'll consider it, need to see how my money is after payday!!! How much to run down there? I just may make the trip!!

It is definatly running on the good side(740+ O2's) but During this best run, I saw 15.9 degrees of knock retard and it stayed steady toward the big end. I was running 16 lbs of boost.

EDIT: btw, this is running on Shell 93 V-power.

740 O2's sound lean to me especially on pump gas. I think I would increase the fuel so the O2's are closer to 800 and see if the KR goes away.

740 O2's sound lean to me especially on pump gas. I think I would increase the fuel so the O2's are closer to 800 and see if the KR goes away.

Ditto...

Some cars will "like" a different O2 milivolts than others.... if you choose to tune by this....

Definately fatten it up some.... your BLM's were adding a bunch of fuel downtrack anyway.... bump the fuel up in the chip settings and see if the knock gets better...... might ought to lower boost down a lb or two until you get it sorted out....

Ditto...

your BLM's were adding a bunch of fuel downtrack anyway.... ...

this is not true ,
the 140 is the blm value of the last cell in the BLM grid but it is not the WOT cell , it reflects fueling adjustment made when MAF is above 30gm/sec and rpm is above 1500rpm .
besides the chip isnt adding a thing at WOT , TT chips like most chips dont look at o2 sensor once in WOT mode , the chip looks at other things RMP and speed , with erics chip if the o2 died you could unplug the O2 and reset your blm memory and the car would sill run just fine and stil be able to go WOT as ususal (reprogram your WOT chip settings if they needed to be changed )

Everything on the chip was untouched, no adjustments made. I just wanted a baseline. I am seeing around 135-140 blm @ Idle which I think is telling me to add some fuel so the ECM doesnt do it for me. I am gonna turn the boost down a smidge to get right. My boost is in the 16lb range so I think it is a fuel issue or possibly false knock. I'll do some tests tonight and see what I get.

this is not true ,
the 140 is the blm value of the last cell in the BLM grid but it is not the WOT cell , it reflects fueling adjustment made when MAF is above 30gm/sec and rpm is above 1500rpm .
besides the chip isnt adding a thing at WOT , TT chips like most chips dont look at o2 sensor once in WOT mode , the chip looks at other things RMP and speed , with erics chip if the o2 died you could unplug the O2 and reset your blm memory and the car would sill run just fine and stil be able to go WOT as ususal (reprogram your WOT chip settings if they needed to be changed )

I stand corrected. Brain Fart I guess...

I do agree at part throttle the high BLM's likely mean the ECM is adding alot of fuel for whatever reason..... and ultimately... that also needs addressing....which I think he is in the process of doing.

Thanks Paul.

I just thought of something. If I switched chips (I had to swap 93 Street Chips) would I need to set fuel pressure again? I didnt and am going to check it before I do anything.