1992 GMC Typhoon

BOBBY263052

Opinions from people that have owned these trucks? Are they very reliable? Easy to mod? How hard to find parts for them? Comparable to Grand Nationals? Found a good deal on one localy and pretty sure I'm buying it! So I would love some feed back. Whats some good bang for the buck first mods? Are they realy THAT hard to work on/maintain? Opinions please........

Thank you, Bobby

PS. Was wanting a GN bad but have'nt found many and none localy. This just kind of popped up and I was like well.......why not?

Great trucks, but, while the GN/T tends to spit head gaskets when detonated, the 4.3 in the Sy/Ty breaks other things.....like ring lands, rods, etc.

Heavy truck with the AWD system, but launches like a mofo! Typical mods work fine (intake, exhaust, programming, injuctors, etc), and you can always change the air to water IC for an air to air IC.

Make sure it's the truck you want- GNs are always popping up for sale!

.....but not mine:D

My dad had one. When my TurboTA was closer to stock (only more fuel, more boost-2lbs more than stock 16.5) I raced it. It was even for about 200ft. then I gradually started pulling him and then about the quarter I started pulling farther out. We ran to about where I shut off at 130mph, it was about 7 cars difference. I drove it many times and it would pull your head off! Many friends would forget to sit rigid in their seat and their heads would hit the back glass if I nailed real good. There deffinately bad on take off. The usual mods apply to them as the GN's but I think more new techy stuff will be available and probably cheaper and easier to install on the GNs. I think GNs running a consistant say 11.60 will stay together longer than a Syclone running the same numbers. Less money involved to go faster with a GN from what I've seen a the tracks and read.
If it's really sweet and near mint though, why not? it's more rare than a GN.:)

It's not mint but it's pretty clean and has 126,000 miles on it. But I am getting it for a good price!

Much cheaper to go fast with a GN than a Sy/Ty- very limited production= higher$$$ for stuff.

But, very cool to be out of the "Me-Too" (camaro, mustang, etc) crowd.

Another thing to think about- the Sy can only carry a max load of 500 lbs, and I don't believe that towing anything is advised. Meant to haul ass, not trash.....

Yeah I no about the hauling / towing. Only mod on it is a K&N filter. Will post pics when I pick it up in a week.

Bobby

Yeah I no about the hauling / towing. Only mod on it is a K&N filter. Will post pics when I pick it up in a week.

Bobby

Cool, so you bought it! If it doesn't have the winshield decal in perfect condition let me know. My dad never put his on and we still have it in the original box, been kept in storage since 91. Have fun with it!

I would have bought it yesterday but the owner is going to Mexico today for vacation and did not have time to go to the bank with me to sign everything. So I get it next thurday May 3rd. The TY does not have the windshield banner on it. I dont even know what they look like. What do you want for it?

Bobby

Here are some pics he sent me the other day.

Attachments

• Typhoon 1.jpg
    Typhoon 1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Typhoon 2.jpg
    Typhoon 2.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 405
  • Typhoon 3.jpg
    Typhoon 3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 397
  • Typhoon 4.jpg
    Typhoon 4.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 395
My wife's Daily Driver is a 92 Typhoon.

They are not cheap to maintain or modify. But when done right they are like nothing else out there. I'll testify to the launch on these puppys.
I can't wait to put the .61dbb turbo on it.
We've been through alot on her truck to get it where it is.
It's a blast though...

If you need any help/advise please feel free to e-mail me.
~Scott

I would have bought it yesterday but the owner is going to Mexico today for vacation and did not have time to go to the bank with me to sign everything. So I get it next thurday May 3rd. The TY does not have the windshield banner on it. I dont even know what they look like. What do you want for it?

Bobby

Oh damn, I wasn't paying attention, you got a Typhoon, the sticker is for a Syclone. It just says Syclone in the font style like on the side. Good luck with it.

My buddies Ty just went 12.63 @ 105 with nothing but exhaust tune and Alky and 19lbs of boost!! Heck it went 13.66 with nothing done and a brokem intercooler pump! Now with the high flow pump and alky the intercooler is cool top the touch after a run and the intake is icy cold!
I love that truck. Especially that he has been storing it in my garage lately! LOL Launching on the street is the best! Definately a rare ride that is a lot of fun!

Good Luck!

Ok, I had one recently.......to put it shortly; it sucked. Trans could barely handle the AWD system, the starter does this weird thing on alot of'em where it clicks and doesnt start. Leaks. Exhaust is setup real crazy. Harder to work on than a GN, harder to tune, tune up. I just hated mine!!!!

Oh yeahhhhhh.....And WAYYYY more expensive to modify and maintain, its not easy or fun to have a car thats $$$ to fix, and even more $$$ to modify.

Well, I picked mine up on Thursday. Passes safety and immisions test! So far so good. No problems yet and damn, this little f**ker is pretty damned fast if its still running cool. Slows down once its at full operating temps, but oh well. Couple mods will get it to run cooler all the time. I got it from and older man that is retired from a GMC dealership. So the Ty has always been dealer maintained and came with 5 different GM service manuals that tells you in detail how to work on EVERYTHING on this truck. So far no regrets at all. Hope it stays that way!

Bobby

If you dont beat on it that often you should be Ok, plus......you said the owner was a GM tech, if so; he shouldve been taking care of business with all the small problems that may have arised with the truck.

I could put you in touch with a few Knowlegable Sy/Ty guys, Ed Hess-Sy,
Tom Ferrick - TY, And probably more Importantly Their Tuner Harry Anderson.
All live in NJ / PA area. KLM.