1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

Did I quick run by the shop on my way home to get an update and took a few photos for you guys

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

They finished most of the top, both of the rear control arm braces and are working on the bottom. Looks good so far

I stopped by the shop today and they had made some headway boxing up the frame and random other spots and some bracing

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

They are having real issues getting good welds and cleaning the frame as they go is a big time sink. So there is a new delay, we are sending the car out to media blasting today and will have it back tuesday. So the updates will be slow until then and ill get some new pictures of the fresh frame for you guys!

Subscribing...:D
Killer build!

Oh....and ...hello people:rolleyes:
...alky...I never leave home without it...:D
It's toooootally for the street....or the track....or anywhere you see yourself exceeding 12-13psi of boost on Cali's crappy 91 octane.

As for rate of consumption....depends on you....but me...I go through 5 gallons in about 4-5 weeks....

Thanks! So I need a quick opinion from the people who have installed an aluminum core support. Is it worth the hassle? I want to save the weight and I'm doing a frame off so if I ever do it now is the time but I hear of problems with alignment afterwards and am not sure what needs to be done for the headlights exactly.

Opinions?

Headlights are not an issue. You will have to cut down your body bushings as that dimension is different. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. By body lines are not right since I did mine, but I'm no body man. I'm hoping to have it corrected before paint.

Hmm I'm trying to justify the 300 bucks and time to do it but it's hard for just 10 pounds lol

Hmm I'm trying to justify the 300 bucks and time to do it but it's hard for just 10 pounds lol

Well if you get lucky and do a little junk yard searching you can pick one up for less than $40 like I did.:biggrin: Perfect condition too.:cool:

Well unfortunately the junkyards in Vegas suck so that option is out. If I had one for $40 there would be no question

Well unfortunately the junkyards in Vegas suck so that option is out. If I had one for $40 there would be no question

I got mine for $50 @ Henderson Pic-A-Part. Last time I was there I saw like three g-bodies. Doesn't seem that long ago that there was three rows. :mad:
Even finding a candidate for a vacuum brake pedal is getting tough. Let me know if you ever want to go, I'm always up for a junkyard stomp.

I might take you up on that, to bad its 110 with 80% humidity this month, bit brutal for that right now

So the frame is back from sandblasting, and wow, what a difference that makes. There was so much dirt, crud and oil caked on I can't believe it. So here is the after picture

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Much better, so they are cleaning up the insanely bad factory welds, and finishing the frame today/tomorrow. So the revised powder coat day is probably going to be friday.

I'm also sending this
IMG_0379.jpg

And all of the exhaust components to JETHOT for the JETHOT 2000 black coating today.

Almost forgot, look what showed up today!

This is the last of the parts needed, anything else I order will just be something I forgot lol.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Very nice work...

Very nice parts.....

Little drool running down the side of my mouth.......:smile:

Well now I've got 1 more brace to add to my frame that I never though about.

I'd suggest that you check the welds going down the frame while it's stirpped. The frame I had needed rewelding all the way from the crappy job the robots did. QC at that time really sucked and I had blown through sections that were as long as 6".

Yeah, the idea is to reweld or at least recheck all the factory welds and weld up parts that were skipped all together. For example the spring perches are borderline tack welded in there with 80% not even attached for an unknown reason, that will all be fixed.

Plus, I never realized it and forgot to take a picture but the front body bushing mount under the passengers door was almost rotted all the way through with rust. No other rust on the entire car or frame. I would have missed fixing that if it wasnt sand blasted. All the grime and dirt covered up the damage.