1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

What's trz? I have alot of aluminum parts going on and a hartline hood and maybe a rear trunk lid but that's it for weight savings

And no, I'm not known for wasting alot of time haha

Nothing on the suspension will be stock but nothing to exotic besides the wattslink

What's trz? I have alot of aluminum parts going on and a hartline hood and maybe a rear trunk lid but that's it for weight savings

And no, I'm not known for wasting alot of time haha

Nothing on the suspension will be stock but nothing to exotic besides the wattslink

TRZ Motorsports

"Oh, ps. The goal of this is to be able to take my boss on the track (spring mountian in pahrump nv) with his 430 Ferrari, so Ill need all the help I can get. "

Ferrari wont know what hit him.. Suscribed..... :)

Looks like an awesome build. Cant wait to see the bracing and boxing. What holes are you welding closed? Do you think the more rigid frame will help the handling? Some have told me it may hurt performance on an autox

Sounds like a great project. I just frinished a similar chassis with boxed rails, narrowed rears, gussets and added cross members, etc. You are running better brakes and an interesting transmission for sure. Good luck. It took me a long time to bend up new fuel and brake lines due to the boxed frame prevented the use of stock lines. (I didn't want to run the lines inside the frame so they could be inspected/repaired.) Sounds like your car is in good hands. Good luck.

Attachments

• 2011-03-11 18.16.24.jpg
    2011-03-11 18.16.24.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 4,124
  • 2011-03-11 18.15.12.jpg
    2011-03-11 18.15.12.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4,157
  • 2011-03-11 18.16.02.jpg
    2011-03-11 18.16.02.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 4,133
Sounds like a great project. I just frinished a similar chassis with boxed rails, narrowed rears, gussets and added cross members, etc. You are running better brakes and an interesting transmission for sure. Good luck. It took me a long time to bend up new fuel and brake lines due to the boxed frame prevented the use of stock lines. (I didn't want to run the lines inside the frame so they could be inspected/repaired.) Sounds like your car is in good hands. Good luck.

Thanks for that first pic Ken. I'd been thinking about doing that exact same brace. Instead I went in front of the spring and across the back brace.:smile:

If you don't need 2 of those GTA rims and feel like donating them to my build I'd be very grateful.:biggrin: I tried at least.:smile: LOL

Nice build and I have been watching to see what you do with it.:cool:

Looks like an awesome build. Cant wait to see the bracing and boxing. What holes are you welding closed? Do you think the more rigid frame will help the handling? Some have told me it may hurt performance on an autox

Thanks, I'm getting all the holes that are unused on the frame closed... the extra motor mount holes, the holes that were used in manufacturing etc.

Not sure who told you that a more rigid frame would hurt performance but that is just insane, the more rigid the platform in any performance application the better. If you take a sharp turn and the worn body bushings have to compress, then the limp frame twists, then the huge sidewalls flex THEN the high dollar suspension you have kick's in, you wasted it.

Thanks for that first pic Ken. I'd been thinking about doing that exact same brace. Instead I went in front of the spring and across the back brace.:smile:

If you don't need 2 of those GTA rims and feel like donating them to my build I'd be very grateful.:biggrin: I tried at least.:smile: LOL

Nice build and I have been watching to see what you do with it.:cool:

Sorry but Scott Atk has dibs on those along with the other parts in exchange for some tuning help ;)

I checked on Dave's car today. Definitely going to be done right. The car is in good hands. I'm looking forward to watching the build in person. :D

What size rear wheels/tires did you go with? Are you using the stock fuel tank or are you going with some type of aftermarket fuel cell? ..You caught my attention with the plans for a paddle-shifted 4L80e, I have been thinking of that too but I'm afraid of the sticker shock. A built 4L80e + converter +paddle shifters = $$$

What size rear wheels/tires did you go with? Are you using the stock fuel tank or are you going with some type of aftermarket fuel cell? ..You caught my attention with the plans for a paddle-shifted 4L80e, I have been thinking of that too but I'm afraid of the sticker shock. A built 4L80e + converter +paddle shifters = $$$

18"x10" rear wheels and 275 35 18's for rear tires.

I'm trying to maximize stock or at least stock-like items for most of the build for easy troubleshooting and tuning so I'm going with a new stock tank and accompanying bits. The goal is 550 rwhp so I think I'll be fine without a fuel cell.

Its based on a 4l80e but its actually a 6 speed. I had a 72 camaro that I updated to a t-56 6 speed and it was the single best modification I've ever done to any car I've owned. The sticker shock gets worse, also add to your list a new tail housing, adapter plate and drive shaft lol.

IMG_0361.jpg

Almost all the go fast goodies are here, just waiting on my throttle body and champion heads, both are supposed to go out today.

Talked to the fab shop and they will have the chassis at line-x and the frame at powder coat by the end of the week supposedly. I told them to keep me informed on when they start so I can get some good pictures, Ill post them here as soon as I take them!

Talked to the fab shop and they will have the chassis at line-x and the frame at powder coat by the end of the week supposedly. I told them to keep me informed on when they start so I can get some good pictures, Ill post them here as soon as I take them!

Jeez, when is your deadline, next weekend? ;) You are right, you don't waste any time! :biggrin: :cool:

No deadline ;). It's actually been a few months with parts etc getting to this point. I just waited to post the thread till I had some meat and potatoes for you guys

hello; IMO I don't know if I was you I'd go with the alky just yet. I'd do all the go fast stuff but that. To me it's more for the drag race guys. Sure you'll go like hell but that's what the turbo is for. To me it's like NOS you get a blast and then what you need to fill the bottle and in a pro-tourer I wouldn't do it. Your car is going to be a rocket any way but I don't know about the alky. Just a Mass-Holes opinion.
IBBY