1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

I thought about it but +10 psi boost for refilling alky once every 2 weeks.... It's worth it to me ;)

I thought about it but +10 psi boost for refilling alky once every 2 weeks.... It's worth it to me ;)

Can't disagree with that... I finally got my car working with alky and ~20 psi... Car is stupid on the street! Crazy how only 5-7 psi will completely change the car. I love it... :biggrin:

Spoke to the fab guys and they mentioned that you "are not" notching the frame for tire clearance. Seems like a no brainer with the body separated and all the other frame mods being done. Even if your current tire/wheel combo fits fine it gives you options in the future.

hello; I'm a alky tard so tell me more. How much do you carry and how fast does it disappear? Exactly what is alcohol? Where do you get it and is it readily available? I'm not checking past posts because "I don't want to and I don't have to" a quote from a hot ticket of a co-worker.
IBBY

Spoke to the fab guys and they mentioned that you "are not" notching the frame for tire clearance. Seems like a no brainer with the body separated and all the other frame mods being done. Even if your current tire/wheel combo fits fine it gives you options in the future.

It's even worse Scott, I have a frame notch kit sitting in my office. To notch the frame I would weaken it latterally, even with bracing,which I'm not real comfortable with. Also I would have to refab the wattslink since it attaches to the rear frame rails. That and the fact that I'm never going to drag race it, has me leaning towards not doing it. It could fit 295's without a notch, I've already rolled the fenders. And the 275's I have look like steamrollers to me already

hello; I'm a alky tard so tell me more. How much do you carry and how fast does it disappear? Exactly what is alcohol? Where do you get it and is it readily available? I'm not checking past posts because "I don't want to and I don't have to" a quote from a hot ticket of a co-worker.
IBBY

alky is short for alcohol and it makes you an alcoholic for speed...subscribed.

hello; IMO I don't know if I was you I'd go with the alky just yet. I'd do all the go fast stuff but that. To me it's more for the drag race guys. Sure you'll go like hell but that's what the turbo is for. To me it's like NOS you get a blast and then what you need to fill the bottle and in a pro-tourer I wouldn't do it. Your car is going to be a rocket any way but I don't know about the alky. Just a Mass-Holes opinion.
IBBY

IBBY

No offense but if you don't know anything about alky, why are you telling someone else not to use it?

Haha. I thought the same thing but didn't want to post it

hello; To me as I said alky (I know it's alcohol) is something for the track. Like I said also NOS,alky all that stuff are additives to your ride that true you'll go like hell is a thing not needed in a street car, pro tourer. Handling is the thing. I'm no pro at anything this is a hobby for me and that's it.
My questions did not get any answers so why not answer them and then ask me questions. Do you get the alky at the track or from the liquor store?
My humour is not for everyone but that's why where humans. Educate me oh alky heads.
IBBY

hello; To me as I said alky (I know it's alcohol) is something for the track. Like I said also NOS,alky all that stuff are additives to your ride that true you'll go like hell is a thing not needed in a street car, pro tourer. Handling is the thing. I'm no pro at anything this is a hobby for me and that's it.
My questions did not get any answers so why not answer them and then ask me questions. Do you get the alky at the track or from the liquor store?
My humour is not for everyone but that's why where humans. Educate me oh alky heads.
IBBY

Like mentioned "Alky" is short for Alcohol - which in our case is METHANOL....which is a wood alcohol. The octane is around 120 but even more important is the cooling factor of the incoming HOT charged air... With our progressive alcohol kits you ONLY start spraying under boost. I start at 5psi and PROGRESSIVELY spray more as boost rises. i SAFELY run 24-25# on 93 octane which is a WIN WIN WIN.... and oh yeah mine is more of a pro tourer - with Big Brakes and Big Wheel and Suspension Mods......and I DRIVE MY CAR REGULARLY, even taking it the HotRod PowerTour and across the country on the road trips.

IMHO People are mad at you because of your ignorance, its because - even not knowing what you were talking about, you still passed judgement and gave [IMHO] poor advice. sorry.

aaron

hello; You're correct on the ignorance on the alky and you did give me some info. to add to my brain but why not continue and fill in the blanks on my questions.
I could only imagine running out of meth at 25# of boost thinking your safe and you where really not.
Educate me more you meth spraying drug addicts. Ever see in the news what happens to a meth lab gone wrong.
IBBY

hello; You're correct on the ignorance on the alky and you did give me some info. to add to my brain but why not continue and fill in the blanks on my questions.
I could only imagine running out of meth at 25# of boost thinking your safe and you where really not.
Educate me more you meth spraying drug addicts. Ever see in the news what happens to a meth lab gone wrong.
IBBY

YOU are correct on running out..... definitely NOT a good idea if you plan on driving WOT.... But it is the owners responsibility - just like anything on a high performance car, to monitor fuel levels, fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost pressure, coolant temp, timing, knock, etc..... it just comes with the territory. If you dont want to go fast.... just leave it alone.....

as to your METH LAB lab comparison.... TWO TOTALLY CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS .... 'WE' just call it Meth, short for METHANOL or Methyl Alcohol or Wood Alcohol..... the other 'METH' is short for Methamphetamine which comprised of highly volatile chemicals . HTH

Now, lets quick contaminating this BUILD thread.... LETS SEE MORE PHOTOS !!!!! :D

hello; My humor or lack of is not for everyone and the Meth thing was that. Your correct about the build and getting back to it as it's going to be top notch with or without any ones comments.
IBBY

Stopped by the shop today and they were filling holes and bracing the frame. Supposedly it will be completely finished with the welding, boxing and smoothing by tomorrow and ready for the powder coater.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

So I had planned on powder coating the frame and entire suspension black (rear end, etc) and even changing the color on the rear upper control arms (are blue now for some reason) and the wattslink (red) to black. Now I'm looking at all this work and am thinking making the frame silvervein (or another color) and all the rest of the suspension black. I just hate to hide all this work and I want it to scream frame off when I open the hood, and I dont think black will do that for me.

This is silvervien, you have probably seen it on some industrial equipment, its fairly common. This car will be driven alot and I think it would hide dirt and still look good and this is how it would look in contrast to the black suspension
View attachment 161400

I did some searching and found a frame in silvervein but couldnt find one with black parts installed on it
View attachment 161400

So I'd like to get some opinions on the color combo or any other color you guys are thinking? Also, the rear two forks of the frame are being braced as is the upper and lower rear control arms. Anything else that should be braced or gusseted while I'm at it?

Attachments

• silvervein.jpg
    silvervein.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 747
  • framecoated.jpg
    framecoated.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 678
Stopped by the shop today and they were filling holes and bracing the frame. Supposedly it will be completely finished with the welding, boxing and smoothing by tomorrow and ready for the powder coater.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

So I had planned on powder coating the frame and entire suspension black (rear end, etc) and even changing the color on the rear upper control arms (are blue now for some reason) and the wattslink (red) to black. Now I'm looking at all this work and am thinking making the frame silvervein (or another color) and all the rest of the suspension black. I just hate to hide all this work and I want it to scream frame off when I open the hood, and I dont think black will do that for me.

This is silvervien, you have probably seen it on some industrial equipment, its fairly common. This car will be driven alot and I think it would hide dirt and still look good and this is how it would look in contrast to the black suspension
3804_powder-coat-samples.jpg

I did some searching and found a frame in silvervein but couldnt find one with black parts installed on it
framecoated.jpg

silvervein.jpg

So I'd like to get some opinions on the color combo or any other color you guys are thinking? Also, the rear two forks of the frame are being braced as is the upper and lower rear control arms. Anything else that should be braced or gusseted while I'm at it?

I'm really liking the silvervein. I also think doing the suspension in black would bring it all together nicely.

X 2 !!!

I'm really liking the silvervein. I also think doing the suspension in black would bring it all together nicely.

I might have considered extra $'s for powdercoating if I had seen the silverveining - Looks great and will contrast well with black and/or silver etc.

Very VERY cool. I went chassis black on my powdercoated frame, and it would have been nice to go with something a little different. I can't wait to see how it turns out!!! Keep the pics coming! Great job.

Everything looks awesome and I can't wait to watch the rest and see how it turns out. As for powdercoating I agree it would be nice to go with something different so how about a brushed nickel type finish on the frame so that it looks like bare metal. I think that would look sweet and you don't really notice the silvervein unless your close up on it which I think not many people would do to notice it where as a bare metal finish would stand out but not be like hey I want attention. Also are you going to be putting large holes in the inside of the frame for weight savings. It gives you the rigidity of a boxed frame but helps same weight for power. Like this.

DSC03769.jpg

That does look cool but I think it would be hard to keep clean. Would look great for a show car though! No dimpling on the frame rails either.

It's even worse Scott, I have a frame notch kit sitting in my office. To notch the frame I would weaken it latterally, even with bracing,which I'm not real comfortable with. Also I would have to refab the wattslink since it attaches to the rear frame rails. That and the fact that I'm never going to drag race it, has me leaning towards not doing it. It could fit 295's without a notch, I've already rolled the fenders. And the 275's I have look like steamrollers to me already

Meh. Frame notching is for pussies... you can fit 315s in the back just fine without a frame notch. ;)

pics%20004a.jpg