1984 Buick GN Astro Roof?

Darth Buick

How rare are 1984 Buick Grand Nationals with an astro roof? I Just picked one up with 43,000 miles and was pretty surprised when it showed up with an astro roof! The seller didn't even mention it in his ad. Is it a real GN? Everything checks out as far as codes go and I know the interior is a PITA to find.

I looked around in a couple registrys and the hot-air info page but, I didn't see any mention of an astro roof option. I have 18k to spend, going to go 12 bolt, aluminum block, 86/87 ECM, built 2004R with a brake so I can let it eat on the street. Basically I want to know before I mess with something rare.

Thanks for the help guys.:biggrin:

Attachments

• Buick_gn_astro_roof.jpg
    Buick_gn_astro_roof.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 658
Rare

All 1984 GN are rare. only built 2000 of them. have seen one or two with Astroroof's but they are few and far between.

Are you going to intercool it?

George

All 1984 GN are rare. only built 2000 of them. have seen one or two with Astroroof's but they are few and far between.

Are you going to intercool it?

George

Yes, I sold my 2004 Cobra for it. I want to put down 750 to the wheels minimum on the jug. Although I'd like to see 680-700 just on boost.:D

Don't mess with that car.......

I personally own a 84 WH1 T-type with a astro roof so yes the sun roof's are out there but rare.

If your gonna spend 18k on a buick just buy a darn 86-87 car that has alreay been worked. and then take it from there. the economy is down so there are some serious cars out there for good money.

That would be the cheaper way togo.

LEAVE THAT CAR ALONE................................

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not really interested in the 85-87 interiors and I wanted to build up my own car. That's why I purchased an 84, I'll be sure to keep all the original stuff when I go twins. From a search it seems like the more common hardtops are the more desired cars right now. I've always had a thing for T-tops personally but, I can't really complain since I thought I was getting a hardtop at first!

Astro Roof

I have an '85 with an Astro Roof. I knew they were rare, but I have no idea where to find the numbers on how rare. I'm with everyone else on this. If you are going to make the investment in a hot air, don't. Buy a '86-'87. I like having a Hot Air because they are rare, but I wish I had an '87. My 2¢.

I have an '85 with an Astro Roof. I knew they were rare, but I have no idea where to find the numbers on how rare. I'm with everyone else on this. If you are going to make the investment in a hot air, don't. Buy a '86-'87. I like having a Hot Air because they are rare, but I wish I had an '87. My 2¢.

I'm new to Grand Nationals, I was under the impression that they were identical except for the intercooler, intake, turbo location, and interior. If I'm going to replace those anyway whats the difference?:confused:

I've never seen a hot-air for sale before so I'm not sure if your talking about the financial reasons? I.E. less valuable car? I bought this car for less than I could buy a rolling chassis malibu to build up. This car should return plenty of money on my investment, even if I never sell it:biggrin:

Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious. I just wanted to make sure I didn't gut anything really rare. (Single/Double digit production) My termi was 1 of 299 and I didn't mind modding it. I would save the GN but, it seems like astro cars are relatively available and undesired right now.

Yes, definitely post pics! There were only 2k 84 GNs built, and who knows how many Astro's, T Roofs, Hard tops. I don't think those kind of records were kept? It's your car lol, don't listen to people. You do what you want. But if it is rare (I have no clue) there is one less that could have been. Do you know what I mean?

post more pics.also what u pick it up for?

Someone stole the horn button lol.:wink: I'll get more once I get some room for better photos.:cool:

Edit: crap one is my wallpaper, sorry guys lol!

Edit 2: This car will always be around, it won't get gutted. I'm going to run a stock suspension setup. This is a second life for this car, it was rotting away in a garage. Now it's going to be driven hard like it was made to and will be taken to shows for others to enjoy.

Attachments

• Buick_gn_side.jpg
    Buick_gn_side.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Buick_Gn_drag_radials.jpg
    Buick_Gn_drag_radials.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 563
  • Buick GN Interior.jpg
    Buick GN Interior.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 600
  • Buick Gn side 1.jpg
    Buick Gn side 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 578
Wow, if you picked that up for what a roller costs. I am really jealous. I picked mine up for 2500 and it is not nearly as nice as yours.

Wow, if you picked that up for what a roller costs. I am really jealous. I picked mine up for 2500 and it is not nearly as nice as yours.

Well it's got a few issues right now. Exhaust leak, missing horn, bumper fillers. Don't know why someone would take those honestly?!?! It's got some surface rust under the hood from sitting awhile and it's really, REALLY, dirty. I sprayed the outside off with a hose real quick and it already looks like a million bucks compared to it's earlier state. The interior has a lot of dust on it but luckily it's all on the surface and I already have most of the dust cleaned off.

I have not had the chance to look it over really well but, it looks like it has a couple late 80's early 90's mods. Mileage is legit and documented through carfax and autocheck along with it's previous owners. I'll probably respray it though since I want a show finish and will have the engine out anyway.

I'm gonna have to agree with the rest here. You've got a beautiful example of an early SFI car and changing it will actually lower the value. There are several mods you can do to it that will make it faster but since it's in such good condition I'd honestly leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. It is your car but to do anything other than clean it up and driving it you'll end up losing some change and value.

re:

Do as you wish for the car. A hot air car will not be worth much reguardless. I own probably the lowest milage 84 GN in existance that was completely original when I purchased it. I paid top top top dollar for mine, and I have begun mods to get the car to where I want it to run. (high 10's). I am not trying to tell you what to do but a stock hot air is slow in factory form and not very desirable.

George

Do as you wish for the car. A hot air car will not be worth much reguardless. I own probably the lowest milage 84 GN in existance that was completely original when I purchased it. I paid top top top dollar for mine, and I have begun mods to get the car to where I want it to run. (high 10's). I am not trying to tell you what to do but a stock hot air is slow in factory form and not very desirable.

George

Yeah it's definately slow as balls right now in comparision to the Cobra. It looks like the 86/87 cars comand a 3-4k premium right now on the market. I'm not really concerned about resale value 20 years down the road anyway. Hell I might not even make it that long anyway! And I'm still in college, you never know what will happen! Just wanted to be sure they were not really rare or a desireable option before I started getting into it.:wink:

twins

With the amount of hp you are looking for a LS with a single turbo built right would be alot more dependable, and you would not need a jug.:biggrin:

84 is the best year for comfort !! Your reallly lucky the interior is in good shape, hard top is more desirable for strength, less body flex at the track.
You should hear what the others are saying, you will get to your goal much faster and cheaper by buying a car already modified.
As far as changing the drive train to a intercooled version, the only thing I can say personally, is that I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to convert mine.

Chuck

84 is the best year for comfort !! Your reallly lucky the interior is in good shape, hard top is more desirable for strength, less body flex at the track.
You should hear what the others are saying, you will get to your goal much faster and cheaper by buying a car already modified.
As far as changing the drive train to a intercooled version, the only thing I can say personally, is that I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to convert mine.

Chuck

Yeah I was hoping to get through the school year with it before I started, but it starting ticking really bad after a boosted launch this morning.:eek: I don't know if it's a lifter or an exhaust leak yet, hopefully I'm lucky 2 times in a row and it's just and exhaust problem. I doubt it based on what I was doing when it started ticking though lol!:biggrin: No check engine light yet just an anoying surge at idle and a check oil/ check idle light that goes off when it warms up. The tick goes away at WOT too.:confused: It still pulls hard so I'm hoping I can limp it until the school year ends and I can take it apart. Not a very good post purchase experience in my first turbo buick!:frown:

No big deal though, I'll just have to go from the engine back instead of rearend forward.:D