1984 Buick GN Astro Roof?

low oil pressure will make the valves tick, and with the check engine/oil light on I wouldn't drive it untill you check the oil pressure. This was one of my 1st modifications, a coolant temp and oil pressure gage. Placed them in a dual pod that sits under the radio.

Chuck

low oil pressure will make the valves tick, and with the check engine/oil light on I wouldn't drive it untill you check the oil pressure. This was one of my 1st modifications, a coolant temp and oil pressure gage. Placed them in a dual pod that sits under the radio.

Chuck

I'll pick one up from autozone, I still can't figure out why the sound goes away when it's warmed up or at WOT. I drained the oil and everything looked okay, no shavings or metal anywhere. Oil line clogged from sitting, maybe being driven hard for the first time in a couple years knocked something lose? I would think an oil starvation issue would magnify at higher RPMS though.:confused: Hope oil presure checks out tommorow morning.:eek:

Mechanic gave it a quick once over and said it sounded like exhuast, but it doesn't sound like a hissing noise and most mechanics can't work on new cars and definately not this old GN!

Exhaust manifold leak...... also sound like that..... tick tick tick. Hot Air Motors are a pain to work on, intercooled motors are a pain to work on..... all cars are a pain to work on..... oil pumps do go bad, not common but happens.

Chuck

The astroroof is very rare... a pricey option

A handful of the cars received it.

I have only seen two other '84 GN's with it.

At the moment mine is the most loaded '84 GN in existence with 96 build codes.

A handful of the cars received it.

I have only seen two other '84 GN's with it.

At the moment mine is the most loaded '84 GN in existence with 96 build codes.

for a GN thats alot of codes.

My 84wh1 has 98 codes...... one being a astroroof

quick update from phone, oil sending unit is packed so i'm hoping it was causing the low rpm oil pressure issues. I'm going to hook up a mechanical gauge real quick so I can check the pressure now. I'll keep you updated. Thanks guys!

Well I tried to get a reading all day but, never got one. I hooked it right into were the idiot light was wired and never got a reading. If oil can't go up a little hose I doubt it's getting to my engine either!:eek: Doesn't sound like its running on no oil though since it goes away after it heats up. I swear it's driver side exhaust, it looks like it's been welded up a couple times.:mad:

It's proving to be a lot more difficult to trouble shoot then my old cobra but, I did buy it so I could experience a DIY project so I'm not mad at it... Yet:biggrin:

I'm going to rebuild the oil pump and install a adjustable oil regulator just to be on the safe side next week, if it isn't getting oil this GM engine sure is durable! Oil is still spotless and I've been driving it around a little.:confused:

Yes, definitely post pics! There were only 2k 84 GNs built, and who knows how many Astro's, T Roofs, Hard tops. I don't think those kind of records were kept? It's your car lol, don't listen to people. You do what you want. But if it is rare (I have no clue) there is one less that could have been. Do you know what I mean?

I know there were 530 made with T-Tops and the Lier Seigler seats, my .02 cents

It's the exhaust, probably a crack on driver side header. Had the wheels off this morning to change the tires and saw it, looks like its been welded on quite a few times in an attempt to keep it together. Dodged a bullet this time! :D Still wish I could get an oil pressure reading though. :(

530 T-tops built is a big chunk of the 2k built! Took it to the car wash and the astro roof doesn't leak so that was another surprise lol!

wow! bought it, and didn't even know it had a astroroof:confused: musta didn't do a whole lot of pics, research or questions before you bought, lol!

be a shame to do all those mods to a low mile astroroof gn just because you wanted tan interior and lear seats:redface: but i agree, its yours, go for it!!!

boostinitup, my 84 is a astroroof, and i have 98 codes.
factory alarm
map lights
twilight sent
concert sound
rear def
factory trunk kit
lighted pass visor
etc....

and i have yet to see another 84 gn as clean as mine, (74,000 miles) but i know there are plenty out there

wow! bought it, and didn't even know it had a astroroof:confused: musta didn't do a whole lot of pics, research or questions before you bought, lol!

be a shame to do all those mods to a low mile astroroof gn just because you wanted tan interior and lear seats:redface: but i agree, its yours, go for it!!!

boostinitup, my 84 is a astroroof, and i have 98 codes.
factory alarm
map lights
twilight sent
concert sound
rear def
factory trunk kit
lighted pass visor
etc....

and i have yet to see another 84 gn as clean as mine, (74,000 miles) but i know there are plenty out there

I planned on building it anyway so as long as it wasn't rusted in half. Are the codes you guys keep talking about the ones on the trunk lid or the cowl tag? I'd like to see where I stand.:biggrin:

The codes on the trunk lid will give you a better idea of what parts went on the car. The one on the cowl tag is not near as technical.

98 Codes! Wow!

I have to see the build sticker! :biggrin:

Several of the numbers on mine are still undefined/unknown.

Does yours have the spring loaded upright "Turbo 3.8" on the Nose of the car? G80 posi code?

Does yours have the spring loaded upright "Turbo 3.8" on the Nose of the car? G80 posi code?

here ya go..................

84 Wh1 T-type

108354d1282880019-i-just-bought-84-wh1-astro-roof-img_1154-small-.jpg

I have a few build codes on mine aswell. :wink: Some may be messed up, I'm posting using a picture on phone since the school computer is being lame.:eek:

AC3 AQ9 AO3 AO1 A31 8C3 BD1 BMD BWD B51 BV6 BV8 BW3 BX1 BX5

BY4 B19 B24 B34 B35 B71 B72 B77 B79 BB1 BB9B93 CD4 CF5

CQ1 C18 C49 C60 D3D ()35 D55 E52 E7M FE2 FF1 GQ1 GU6 G87

J42 KI5 K22 K34 LM9 MW9 MXD NA5 NA1 NK1 NP5 N33 N89 QYZ

TL6 TL8 TT5 T43 T47 T63 T63 (AGAIN?) T93 U41 UQ1 US7 UU6 U23 U66

VA2 VD6 VD7 VH6 VK3 VT3 WAR WE2 WG1 W11 YR2 YS2 YT9 19L

19U 6YU 60H 6OI 6O9 TYU 8MP 9HP

phew..:eek: Wish mine had the digital radio, I could do without the dash though since I heard the buick one was really basic.
I'm counting 95, am I looking at the wrong one? It looks just like the one pictured. No posi code WTH, this thing definately has a posi in it now...

no hood ornament but does have g80 posi. whats weird is my 87 has all the same exact options, but has 2 less codes.:confused: must have something to do with the lear interior

Still have the most loaded '84 GN

Still waiting to see a build code with more on their '84 GN :biggrin:

IMO You don't get to count the mistake of doubled build codes (That is really Weird that they made such an error)

Options

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, I'd like to find an '84 GN with fewer options than mine. Came with no astro roof, no t-tops, no posi, no power windows/locks/seats/trunk release, no nuttin'. I think the only option was the radio w/cassette & eq... :biggrin: