1948 Willys CJ2A implant - "The Dragon"

dmcquillan

Hi all,

I was referred here by CharlieF1, looking for info on the elusive Buick 4.1 V6. I had a Buick 3.8 in my 49 CJ2A, but what sounds like rod knock forced me to remove it. I have found a donor 4.1 to replace, and also a crate motor to go with that 4.1.

Gentlemen and ladies (I presume there's a few fine lady folk around here), please let me introduce you to....."The Dragon":

JeepAuglong09004.jpg

It came to me titled as a 1948 on a 79 cj5 frame, with:

- a shot buick 3.8 231, replaced with another that promptly started knocking a rod
- SM420 tranny, Dana 20 transfer
- Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear both with ARB lockers and disc brakes
- Yj seats
- heater
- tilt steering
- power steering conversion
- new Best top Tiger top and doors still in box
- Warn 8274

I ran the motor for a few runs, but it was knocking so bad at the end that I needed to do an immediate replacement. I pulled the engine last fall, but the project has stalled for a bit. I was planning to toss in a Chev 4.3 TBI, but instead I found a 4.1 V6 replacement. Then, I found a 4.1 V6 crated engine (supposedly block only) to trade the 4.3 for.

So, here's a really crappy picture of what the replacement is in. I'm heading up hopefully on Friday to pick it up, drive it down, pull the drivetrain and get rid of it as quick as I can.

ry%3D400

Yes, yes, yes.....you can stop the standing ovation now. :D It really is a "PINK" Mary Kay 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville.

Cool Darcy. I still love CJ's but I've got a 78 Wagoneer (2 door) that I've got to do a transplant on. I'm in the process of negotiating on a 455 Buick for it but if it falls through then I'm gonna do a carb/turbo V6 for her.

BTW, your jeep looks more like an MB than a CJ2A.

BTW, your jeep looks more like an MB than a CJ2A.

More like an MB? How do you figure? :confused: Oh...the paint. Yeah, the CJ2A's are the civvy model of the MB...there's some differences, but the olive drab does make it look "army".

I'd love to see pics of the Wagoneer. :)

The markings on the hood and windsheild Darcy. I don't have any pics of her at the moment because I'm concentraiting on the T Type right now. It's got some surface rust and a few other issues but she's all there. Stock 360 and turbo 400 tranny so the change over shouldn't be to bad.

Oh, the "Willys" script (stencil is more correct I suppose)...they're on most of them up to the CJ5's. Easy to tell some replacement panels....the script is missing.

I need to figure out a new paint scheme too....I'm partial to this one:

Bruns53Front.JPG

I'd take a look at some of the jeeper sites and see what the original colors are. I think they look the best.

Well it's your jeep so you have to decide for your own tastes. Since I was in the USAR MP Corp I have a soft spot for the tan. Just remember that you have to clean it when you're done.

That's true. :)

It'd be nice if the owner of that Caddy would rattle it black before I drive it down. :biggrin:

Okay, I've pulled only a couple of engines before, and everything I know has been self-taught. How about a few quick pointers from some people on the quickest way to get this engine out of this car, so it can be towed away later this weekend?

Thanks in advance.
:cool:

A torch is the fastest but the messiest way do do it Darcy, but if you want to make some extra change then see about signing up on a caddy forum and see what you can sell off of it. there weren't that many of them made and fewer are alive now.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm actually getting rid of it for free. I live in a duplex, and my hobby has crossed the line into mental illness (compliments to Dave Barry lol). So I'm going to pull it, then I have about 10 guys lined up to tow it away this weekend.

Any tips about pulling it out easier? Like rad removal, take tires off and drop it down further, etc. ?

You need to lift it up so you can get the tranny out easier. Take them both out at the same time and it will be the easiest. If you can take the nose off as well as the all the stuff on the font and you should be able to get it out fairly easy.

You need to lift it up so you can get the tranny out easier. Take them both out at the same time and it will be the easiest. If you can take the nose off as well as the all the stuff on the font and you should be able to get it out fairly easy.

Well, I have a hoist, but it's not the tallest one.....might end up having to separate them.

Lift the car up and take the tranny out and take the motor mounts loose. make sure all the electrical parts are free and then it should come out without any issues Darcy.

Well, it's here. I'll take some pics for you all. Drove really nice down here....I can certainly see the attraction to these as highway cruisers compared to a drive in the Willys.

Time to get the camera. :cool:

EDIT: Damm....battery is dead. I'll get some later.

LOL I guess Wally world was open late Darcy. Doesn't look bad at all. Waiting to see where you go from here.