1948 Willys CJ2A - 4.1 transplant

Okay, I bought one.

I think.

Remember, I have no clue about carbs. Much less which ones are good, which are bad, etc. What to look for, etc.

I'm clueless.

Okay, enough of the suspense. It's a Rochester Quadrajet, serial number 17056283, date code 2395, Customer Code AJJ.

According to a site I found, that means that it is a 1976, Quadrajet 4bbl Federal Standards. Second last digit is an 8 - no clue what division? Last digit is 3, so that is a manual transmission code.

Here's some pictures....I'm taking my daughter driving, but you all can let me know whether I did okay, or royally screwed up. :redface:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Thanks again for all the help so far. :)

YEA! That's what I'm talking about 3 wheels Nice! I can't wait I've got my 2nd 2010 4wheeling trip May 14-16th. Love the pic

YEA! That's what I'm talking about 3 wheels Nice! I can't wait I've got my 2nd 2010 4wheeling trip May 14-16th. Love the pic

Thanks, it'll be a while before I get out again with it. ;)

So is there anything else with this carb that I need to know? I assume it is a 750cfm?

If your using as is, just make sure the carb screws are tight, It has an internal fuel filter check it, Check the hoses for rot on the carb and use washers on top to mount the carb so you don't have the flats of your bolts remove anymore material than is already missing. Should be good to go as long as the the accel pump isn't rotted.

Okay, I have the carb off. Lucky for me, a friend is looking for a spread bore in the 600 cfm range.....into his 350 Jeep it goes. :)

Underneath the carb, there was around a 1/4" to 1/2" thick solid rubber gasket....is this normal?

Plus, lucky for me, I found an inline coolant heater....plugged it in and it became toasty quickly. Nothing like one of those up here in Coldanada. :biggrin:

"Stamped" cardboard? 30 year old stamped cardboard, with the stamp still intact? :eek:

Check the pics, let me know:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It certainly doesn't feel or weigh like cardboard...more like hard Bakelite type plastic.

It may be gasket matereal over plastic but most of them are a compressed paper product Darcy. Nothing special there.

Thanks Charlie....Sort of like MDF? I'm guessing it needs to be replaced....is this a specialty part, or something I can find easily for the 4.1?

You just need to go to the parts store and see what they have. It's about 3/8" thick with plastic stops where the bolts go.

I've been told that everything they can get for a 4.1 will have to be ordered in....one dealership told me they need the vin # for the Caddy, and I think I threw that out (whoops).

I'll see if I can come up with some part numbers for you toda while I'm at work. Some of the parts are interchangable after all.

That's an oem insulating barrier, Still cheap and easy to get at any part store no special ordering required.
the newer updated versions have bushings to prevent over tightening and warping.
Replacement mounting gasket is: Walker fuel systems part# G1037

Thanks guys. Sometimes I feel like an idiot asking questions, but you just have to remember that you've never done anything for the first time before.