17's or 18's?

ACLR8R

Just curious if any one has pics of cars with either size? I would really like the bigger wheel, but it only narrows down DR choices and I'm sure it doesnt help traction. I just feel like 17's were the hot ticket 5 years ago, but not sure about hooking on the 18's.
Really looking at a black mesh wheel, but of course they only come in 18x9's in an affordable wheel :mad:

Something like this

Attachments

• blacklightningstainlessay5.jpg
    blacklightningstainlessay5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 533
Just a heads up I called HP desighn and that wheel your are looking at is on backorder till may :( I love the look of the Boze wheels but they are 2k ++ a set...nice wheel but very expensive...18's are they way to go, i agree 17 maybe back a few years ago. Good Luck

Here's one of mine a while back.

Attachments

• resized1 (2).jpg
    resized1 (2).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 525
Just a heads up I called HP desighn and that wheel your are looking at is on backorder till may :( I love the look of the Boze wheels but they are 2k ++ a set...nice wheel but very expensive...18's are they way to go, i agree 17 maybe back a few years ago. Good Luck

Do you know if you are able to get anything wider than a 9 or 9.5? I dont know if you can "oder" a custom width from them.

IMO 17s and better tire choices are more important than an extra inch....this is a 1987 car. Big wheels just don't fit-18" would be the max for sure. I can tell you for sure that an 18" drag radial sucks compared to a 17" drag radial.

What backspace in that wheel above will fit our cars? I have a friend with these wheels in 18s on a 02 ws6. I could probably try them on if its the same backspace. Anyone?

1236571816.jpg

Here's a rear pic.

Attachments

• resized 5.jpg
    resized 5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 513
  • resized 4.jpg
    resized 4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 514
  • resized 6.jpg
    resized 6.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 501
Fronts are 245/40's
Rears are 315/30's

315/30/18 is exactly the size I am looking to run (would really prefer a 35 to get a little taller tire) Any pics of the notch job, or clearance from the frame to the tire? How's your traction?

315/30/18 is exactly the size I am looking to run (would really prefer a 35 to get a little taller tire) Any pics of the notch job, or clearance from the frame to the tire? How's your traction?

I actually dont have any pics of the notch job aside what i posted back in my Stage 2 thread. I did this a couple years ago. Myself and JDSFastGN are finding out the 315's arent as wide as we thought they would be. I could fit another 2in of section width under the car easily. As far as height, the one problem your going to run into is that there arent much for choices of tire in these sizes.

Damn that looks fantastic JD. How is the traction on those?

Traction hasnt really been tested much because I only run the car at 8 pounds of boost for now. I need to get my fuel system done before I crank it up too much more. But, I can tell you that they arent too bad for being a non drag radial tire. I chose these Azenis tires becuase most of the Autocross guys run them. They are a farely soft tire. All in all, these are just my cruiser wheels. I have another set of matching 15x10's for kill mode.

How's your new tires hooking?

this is why i haven't been able to pull the trigger on a set of wheels.
the 18s look good but the tires $$$$$$$$
the 17s look good too plus the tires are a little less expensive.

Thats not necessarily true. If you go online and compare the prices of 18's vs 17's, you'll see they are pretty much the same now a days. There's a lot of cars with factory 18+ rim sizes.

Thats not necessarily true. If you go online and compare the prices of 18's vs 17's, you'll see they are pretty much the same now a days. There's a lot of cars with factory 18+ rim sizes.

I wish that were the case with DR's! For comparison 315/35/17's are $212, and 315/30/18 are $301 :eek: Both are stickey thompsons. Which is also part of my dilema.

I wish that were the case with DR's! For comparison 315/35/17's are $212, and 315/30/18 are $301 :eek: Both are stickey thompsons. Which is also part of my dilema.

I suppose your right. I havent necessarily check with the drag radials. Have you looked into M+H? They seem to get overlooked quite a bit. I'll be using them for my 15's